MASE generators

wotnot

Featured Posts

We are looking at starting using Northern Lights sets instead now these can be keel cooled.

I have also been looking at Northern Lights gens. In April, I was quoted £3895 +VAT for the 5kw M673L2 which seemed quite reasonable, but in July the UK distributor added a price list to their web site showing that the same model is now £4755 +VAT.

That is a huge increase!

For those that are interested the prices above are for the standard wet exhaust. If you want keel cooling, then that is a modification carried out by the UK distributor and it will cost you approx another £400 +VAT.

Gary, any chance of you adding Northern Lights gens to your already extensive range?

• 4 months later...

Just to say that if you are thinking of buying a Northern Lights generator, then this may be a good time as the £/$ exchange rate means that these American generators are rather less expensive than they were a year ago (I have just payed less than I was quoted last April) and the keel cooking option is now free of charge.

Northern lights generators also did very well in the Victron generator test recently, coming top in the sound levels test. :o

Only 'OK' Gary? These cost £4k to £6k

We are looking to put a beefy generator on board a liveaboard to run a washer dryer, diswasher, vacuum etc. and not disturb the world and his brother while we are moored up. Would you recommend any other make of generator instead?

Thanks

Wotnot

Probably a word to the wise but it’s worth finding out if the washing machine etc. will run reliably from the generator you are considering.

We have a Honda EX4D diesel generator (£4k) on board and running the washing machine can be a bit hit and miss. We have found that the washing machine just won’t run if we have our Sterling 30 amp Pro-Digital charger turned on yet it will run if the Sterling 50 amp Pro-Digital charger is running. We also find that the washing machine won’t run correctly unless the batteries are low and the 50 amp charger is being presented with a reasonable load. The root cause of the problem is the wave form produced by the generator. The wave form is poor with no load, gets better with certain loads and worse with others. It’s all a bit hit and miss really – we never know what the washing machine will do every time we turn it on. Of all of the kit we have on board, the speed controllers in the washing machine are the most sensitive to the mains wave form quality.