A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

It's wonderful to see the progress you're making clapping.gif

LCx

I havnt done all that much but it looks better already, couldnt of been much worse i guess though lol.

She's looking better every time you post some pictures.

Looks like the sanding down is progressing well as well.

Hi Cal, this sanding down lark is a job that is grinding down, a square metre a day i reckon is going to be done. very slow and tedious. No rush though :)

W+T I am seriously and genuinely impressed by both your courage and your skill ....I think it's looking brilliant and I can't wait to see the final result cheers.gif John

Me too, i just keep thinkng where to take it for its maiden launch, we are going to try for the 20th May 2016 for a 10 year anniversary, two weeks away and see what happens from day of launch,

Thanks ;)

dont fit em with silicone!!

Use a neoprene tape and a VERY thin bad of marine silicone.

See here http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMSrenderPage.asp?intPageId=9#section4

Hi Gazza, i as going to lok at some of the Sikaflex range, i have used them in the past but this time now you have shown me this download i will look into Seals Direct, Always looked on there website and got a few bits from them, but never come across the downloads and help on there, cheers kida.

To fit them i am thinking on bolting the frames through the cabin top to a 15mx25 batten to pull the frame tighter aswell.,

I will look into the Neoprene ;)

Hey David the Vit helps with strengthening the hull when you bit into the bank side :)

Oh and T has named it.........` Jolly Wolly` for some reason i like it lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry not much of an update, i have been waiting for seals to arrive for the frames and trying to decide where to go with the next step, i was going to get all windows fitted, disaster was found with the front two, tell later the new way for them, then sort the bulkhead,

Anyway, we have been cleaning up the frames, they are in good fettle but for the seals, we got all fut new set, sliders, stops, etc etc, should be like new when finished. They had a coat of lacquer on which need to be sanded off first, hardest part, takes longer to clean that back than to polish the frames back up. I got a small buffer kit to help makes things easier, my hands and elbows are not what they used to be so this was great for buffing up.

Pics dont show how good they are, infact better than i wanted as you can see your face in them They need a few coats of lacquer yet.

UhC4uJv.jpg

Good bit, all the screws came out, i only removed the bottom frame edges to get the glass out and then seals.

WfQ37IW.jpg

These P seals were a pain, i could find a container long enough and narrow enough to git them an Acetone bath, i made a bath from tin foil but it was cheap stuff and punctured to easy. In the end i just used a small syringe and poured aetone over the rubber to weaken it, after a minute it came out easy.

lV5FkwL.jpg

For the sliders i found it both hard and expensive to get the original type so instead i got a flat felt and this pushed into the channel, works a treat aswell. I got it oversized so once inplace i can trim it down to fit in situ.

b6ZcKyv.jpg

The other seals, the P seal as well as the square U profile for the fixed window, i still need another seal for the middle edge as it is very narrow, only 6mm wide with 4mm glass to fit, i am going to look for a felt from maybe Hobby Craft to se what they have, be best to get some rubber but i am finidng difficult to get some 1-1.25mm thick.

You will se ein this pic that the lower felt/slider is in section, this is for the drain gaps in the frame.

BUjCsjT.jpg

Gt5Thmb.jpg

And together but not fixed, a few of the frame brackets broke so i will be makjng some new ones, and lucky a sis i have a tap to thread the 3mm ally i have.

eWK8nin.jpg

BHJO9lg.jpg

geOcvdI.jpg

Still have the other two larger frames to do, hope to get them done tomorrow, bit tired at the minute and its carboot day tomorrow, so we will see.

Oh and today i got some wood 25mmx47mm ,for the inner frame that will be bolted with the stainless bolts through to the frames. These will be used with T nuts to get a flush fit on the inside then wood frame will be capped off with a nice hardwood to cover the T nuts.

Another thing i had a go at was the hatch, being like i am i just try to make things or make do, i would love a Houdini but nah, not at the prices they got go even second hand around £90, there for i made this, i could of used a caravan type but all to small as this hatch is 520mm square.

For this i used some 75mm insulation board, same a si will be for the bearers and inner keel i think.

Cut to shape then sanded to shape

iqjnj06.jpg

LEtgBOb.jpg

A1X0MyW.jpg

This is coated with a layer of resin,

jCbucbo.jpg

Now i have no pics of the rest of this as it went wrong in a way, i was talking to the chap i get my GRP supplies from and he said i was not adding enough catalyst, should be min 1% so 10cc per litre, which i was as always, now it was going off fine as always, but on my little measuring jug it was showing 5cc, now i questiond myself here. What i found was that when i added 10cc as it should be while doing this top it gelled within 5 mins after mixing. I wasnt happy as it made a right old mess of the hatch. Well when i looked closer at the measuring jug for the catalyst i was correct in what i was adding but the jug had a small sticker for the guide marks, this had moved/come unstuck so i could of added around 15+ cc of catalyst. I poured 2 coats of topcoat on and i will sand back to et a better finish and i will update that as and when i get around to it, it does fit ok just needs smoothing off.

ill be back :))

You'd better be back - this is one of the most fascinating threads we have at the moment

I guess the weather is being very kind to you - get her sealed up before it starts raining!

Richard

You'd better be back - this is one of the most fascinating threads we have at the moment

I guess the weather is being very kind to you - get her sealed up before it starts raining!

Richard

I cant agree Richard, the weather has been a real pain, rain then shine on off, i was.....oh yes the front windows, well i was trying to fill the lower edge of the apertures as they varied from 3mm to 5mm and the seasl just would not of seald as they were for 5mm and 5mm, so i filled then i rained 3 times.

Now the front windows, what a bloody disaster, a waist of £50 aswell, which annoyed me, i wasnt bothered i messed the job up it was wasting money. I cut the poly sheet to accuratley, i siliconed the seal all good, fitted the seal, half the the poly window when it wouldnt go in, in the panic we got silicone all over the window, cant get it off now as T split a load of acetone over it and now its goosed I threw a spanner, well if i had one, had a brew and though oh well, ally frames it is.

So new front window plan is if i cant bet a set ready made then i will make a set myself. I dont like to waste money one bit :(

Hey things are sent to test us :)) still jolly :)))

Thanks Gazza ;)

Richard

I go along with this.......this is an amazing thread..........my hats off to you !!!

Well i waited until tomorrow Richard, no change, still want aluminum frames, not just that but the poly window is no good now. have to say they will look better and match the side windows wont they, Work has stopped today but i did get a new brackets made and now can make a new full window ready to be fitted. I was going to lacquer them but to get a good type and not have it loose the shine and not crack flake etc will be a worry and pain so i will invest in some aly polish, probably Autosol metal polish and give them a polish when i am at the boat, if kept on top of they should be fine.

Had another situation, i made a bracket as in the pics below but the tap i had was from a cheap kit i got years ago, as much use as a boat with the sea cock missing. I got 2 holes tapped then it twisted and snapped. So a hunt around on a sunday afternoon to find a 4x0.75 tap, no joy but i got a light socket tap, the type electricians use the clean the backplate socket threads. Only a 4x 0.5 thread i think but it started the thread and then i could cut the new thread with the cwres i had off the frame. easy as the frame sare ally.

YVE5EGZ.jpg

GyDXmd2.jpg

jcZmASM.jpg

I just need an bike inner tube to make the last seal, an idea a chap gave me for the thin 1-1.5mm thick rubber thats needed.

Windows are now refurbed and sat in place but not sealed in, still need to make the inner frames which i hope to get done this weekend. I have made the lower bulkhead and ready to be laminated in place once the windows are in, and for the front i am going to wait to see what turns up as i would like a set of ready made all ones, if not i will make my own.

jt9Jsyc.jpgl3XTYFP.jpg

There's something about a shell with clean windows compared to open holes. Somehow, it's become a boat

Richard

Instead of a garden ornament, well not even that really lol. Just got back from the glass place as one of the opening section is no good as it is old perspex, i would prefer toughend glass for it but from what they are saying its gong to cost a fair bit as there is two holes to be drilled and two notches for the frame brackets, plate glass will do so they wil get me a price for that aswell and i will decide then.

If it is to dear then i will bet another sheet of the polycarbonate i got last week for £25. I will be used in the head anyway and will be frosted.

Well of to do the best job you can on a boat.....sand it down a bit more :(((((((

This weekends work n the boat didnt exactly go plan, but getting there. Plan was to get the side windows fitted but we had trouble working out why the glass would not sit properly in the frame of the larger window. In th end we found it was the glass that had been made for it, either from when the frames were actually made of a mess up from replacments. Anyway to keep the high spirits we decided to fit the smaller galley window first complete with inner frame and all sealed up. These are easier to fit for some reason.

For the inner frames i have used soft wood as they will be capped off with Sapele to cover the T nuts and give a nice finish with Danish oil.

RgHofx6.jpg

Inner frames were used to help give a better seal and strengthen all up more, better than bolting to just the cabin sides.

5N3M4AE.jpg

On the inner side i used T nuts, saves on sinking in nuts etc and works well, i have used them on a lot of things and think they are great for this.

ol0GVEi.jpg

6tNR1dw.jpg

bottom rail ready to be fitted.

U1bmGir.jpg

Inside,

2nj19Rw.jpg

Now once all the frames were done i had to get the seals ready, this was to bo neoprene strip fitted with water proof 2k contact adhesive on the frame, then silicone from there to the cabin aperture to fill any imperfections, the silicone i used is a type that will come apart easy if ever the frames need to be removed. lets hope not.

PSTLf3b.jpg

All set in place and sealed and drying, i was wondering this mornig if we could get ant done with the weather but it turned out a great day.

wK2YRgt.jpg

eDctjB8.jpg

RPMBqrU.jpg

So another trhee to go, one still has to be cleaned and resealed but hope all will be done this week, weather and sanity permitting.Have to say i ma chuffed with the out come, they have taken some doing as a few on the frame brackets broke as they are ally as the frames and a slight bend when pulling the frames apart they snap so i have to make new ones.Not a big job but one more we don t want.

Still not come by any front windows so once these side one are fitted i will gaffer up the front to get water tight so the bulkhead can be done along with floor.

Feels good to have one window fitted :))))

I refurbed the windows on our E27 and my brothers Fairline 20, absolutely the most hateful job ever!

The little mayland was a piece of cake, its got car window type rubbers and perspex windows. Way quicker and easier to sort than refurbing Ali frame windows.

You are doing well :)

I refurbed the windows on our E27 and my brothers Fairline 20, absolutely the most hateful job ever!

The little mayland was a piece of cake, its got car window type rubbers and perspex windows. Way quicker and easier to sort than refurbing Ali frame windows.

You are doing well smile.png

I agree Gazza perspex and rubber are easier but ally looks a lot better and open aswell. We faffed for 2 days with the first big window to sort out why the glass wouldnt fit, i though i had bent the frame but nope, just the way they are. i was pulling my hair out, well what left of it.

Thanks kida. time likes this you need to think positive until you can crack on with the fitting out etc that makes it look like you getting somewhere.

Really impressed with what you have achieved here. Will be following your progress with interest.

All projects have setbacks and no doubt you'll have more, but most people would have only viewed the boat as scrap and not even worth looking at.

Best of luck for the huge amount of work you've still got left but it's definitely looking much more like a boat worth saving now!

Tom

been a few days since I checked your progress .......Wow! well done!.clapping.gif ......As Richard said, all big projects have snags. At some point of a big project you always seem to get a "Why the hell did I ever start this ?" stage (sometimes several of them sad.png) and it's tough keeping the enthusiasm going That's why you see so many lost dreams sitting in the corners of boatyards. This is obviously NOT going to be one.smile.png Keep it up.....all the best John

Thanks guy's. I put these blogs up so I can look back at how far I have got. It helps at tough times. This is the biggest worst stae project I have got into. I have learned that when thongs get difficult to step back and leave it for a few minutes.

I too am very impressed with the job so far, I feel empathy, it reminds me of all the projects I've had over the years but all rolled into one and in a very short timescale. The end result is going to be a cracking boat that you can be proud of.

Phil

Thanks guy's. I put these blogs up so I can look back at how far I have got. It helps at tough times. This is the biggest worst stae project I have got into. I have learned that when thongs get difficult to step back and leave it for a few minutes.

I think you have also learned that there's a lot to be gained by sharing projects here

Do be careful though, in fact if you are doing difficult work I really wouldn't recommend a thong

Richard