where to buy engine mounts?

wetfoot

Featured Posts

I'm looking to replace the engine mounts on a yanmar engine.

Trouble is the existing ones are very low profile and most suppliers I can find only sell ones that are too tall.

The mount in my photo is 30mm from the bottom, where it touches the rail, to the top of the disc on the black cast body,
The bottom of the mounting plate from the engine is 60mm above the mounting rail, ie roughly 30mm above the top of the mount which, given a 14mm thick nut underneath the bracket only leaves about 16mm of thread between the nut and the mount.

The rail mounting bolt holes are about 103mm apart, although I could drill new ones if necessary.

Anyone know where I can get some really low profile mounts?

mount.jpg

Thank you, I did look at ASAP but the lowest they seem to have, like the one in your link, is 47.2 mm to the top of the mount, 17 mm taller than mine.

Add 14 mm for the nut and a little bit of tolerance and its very close to the minimum space I need to have between rail and mounting bracket.  

I'd prefer a bit more flexibility (excuse the pun)

6 minutes ago, wetfoot said:

Thank you, I did look at ASAP but the lowest they seem to have, like the one in your link, is 47.2 mm to the top of the mount, 17 mm taller than mine.

Add 14 mm for the nut and a little bit of tolerance and its very close to the minimum space I need to have between rail and mounting bracket.  

I'd prefer a bit more flexibility (excuse the pun)

The do away with the lower nut or thin it down a bit and rely upon shims to lift the engine, just as we used to do.  I think Bukh mounts are low enough but the engine is positions on those by shimming. Be aware that for optimum performance the mounts needs matching to the engine, usually the weight on the mount. As an example the Bukh DV36 has different mounts front and back.

Anything any good here: https://www.motor-mounts.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6J75rYud4AIV77XtCh0KuAeAEAAYASAAEgI6pfD_BwE

45 minutes ago, wetfoot said:

I'm looking to replace the engine mounts on a yanmar engine.

Trouble is the existing ones are very low profile and most suppliers I can find only sell ones that are too tall.

The mount in my photo is 30mm from the bottom, where it touches the rail, to the top of the disc on the black cast body,
The bottom of the mounting plate from the engine is 60mm above the mounting rail, ie roughly 30mm above the top of the mount which, given a 14mm thick nut underneath the bracket only leaves about 16mm of thread between the nut and the mount.

The rail mounting bolt holes are about 103mm apart, although I could drill new ones if necessary.

Anyone know where I can get some really low profile mounts?

mount.jpg

Just a bit of a left field suggestion I have used older Range Rover engine mounts in the past £4 each bearmach.com 03331233152

shopping.png

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The do away with the lower nut or thin it down a bit and rely upon shims to lift the engine, just as we used to do.  I think Bukh mounts are low enough but the engine is positions on those by shimming. Be aware that for optimum performance the mounts needs matching to the engine, usually the weight on the mount. As an example the Bukh DV36 has different mounts front and back.

Anything any good here: https://www.motor-mounts.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6J75rYud4AIV77XtCh0KuAeAEAAYASAAEgI6pfD_BwE

Yes it had crossed my mine to use ones like the ASAP ones and simply grind the lower nut down a bit. Shims would also do the job but a lot more fiddly, especially as the height restriction is at the back where vertical positioning is critical to align with the prop shaft . But they might be the way to go. Thanks for the idea. 

1 hour ago, wetfoot said:

Yes it had crossed my mine to use ones like the ASAP ones and simply grind the lower nut down a bit. Shims would also do the job but a lot more fiddly, especially as the height restriction is at the back where vertical positioning is critical to align with the prop shaft . But they might be the way to go. Thanks for the idea. 

buy some penny washers of various thicknesses and cut out part of the perimeter to form a U slot - then you can adjust it easily.  That's wot I did with a 1GM10.

Edited by Murflynn

1 hour ago, wetfoot said:

Just for clarity the vertical positioning at both the front and rear engine feet is critical for shaft alignment.

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Just a bit of a left field suggestion I have used older Range Rover engine mounts in the past £4 each bearmach.com 03331233152

shopping.png

Be aware that unless there is a thrust block on the shaft its the mounts that actually push the boat along. These mounts are basically designed to vertical or angled compression loads, to sideways sheer so although hey may  ell work there is a chance the rubber will eventually peel of the bonding to the metal end plates.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Keith M said:

Have tried Calcutt boats? 

The thing Hasley showed looks very much like the front mounts as used (at an angle) on the Newage/Tempest 2.2s but the rear mounts were very different to take the shaft thrust. Some marinisers may have used them on the front of the 1.5s and 1.8s but again the rear mounts would have been different.