How to strengthen this knob

WotEver

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, W+T said:

Why would you need a lathe.

Or as above Araldite/resin will do the job i bet.

I think EVO have taken over Araldite. Its mighty strong especially the standard longer curing one is used with a little warmth, the rapid is almost as good but not quite.

34 minutes ago, W+T said:

Why would you need a lathe

Because the spindle needs to be 1/4” diameter with a 1/3 flat, hence why I’ll be using a plastic spindle cut off a spare pot. 

32 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I think EVO have taken over Araldite. Its mighty strong especially the standard longer curing one is used with a little warmth, the rapid is almost as good but not quite.

Yeah, I was never a fan of rapid and as you say, a bit of heat speeds up the normal no end. 

I was on about drilling the knob out and screwing the fitting into the knob. File the end to shape first though. Use a size to suit your needs.

Plastic easier i guess though ;)

Twiddle the thing with a screwdriver using the knobs markings alongside as a referance for the clicks.  Times going on and on and one day Tony Robinson and Time Team will dicover it and be mystified over the knob being absent.

Edited by bizzard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Visbella-Filling-Reinforcing-Adhesive-Porcelain/dp/B07FDPXHWW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549570552&sr=8-6&keywords=Visbella

This stuff looks interesting. Claims you can drill it and sand it. I have got some but haven't used it yet. Anyone know if it works. 

2 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Visbella-Filling-Reinforcing-Adhesive-Porcelain/dp/B07FDPXHWW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549570552&sr=8-6&keywords=Visbella

This stuff looks interesting. Claims you can drill it and sand it. I have got some but haven't used it yet. Anyone know if it works. 

You’re the one who’s got some ;)

Try it and let us know :)

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Twiddle the thing with a screwdriver using the knobs markings alongside as a referance for the clicks.  Times going on and on and one day Tony Robinson and Time Team will dicover it and be mystified over the knob being absent.

Right now the switch bit looks like this (the wiper is the bit I’m holding. 

A45945A5-F6A5-4EC9-A695-A04611F3CE03.jpeg.c86ef72e111a9ad79ffe5cc92772db57.jpeg

Now im tooooooo young to know about bakerlite but can you not stick this down with glue and then plastic weld it? 

Just a hot soldering iron push it into the plastic and create ripples right around the shaft at the break then get a zip tie melt it and fill and smooth over those ripples,

I have plastic welded so many things including bike fairings and paint trays and they always are as strong as new.

Not sure about bakerlite tho.....

25 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I have plastic welded so many things including bike fairings and paint trays and they always are as strong as new.

Not sure about bakerlite tho.....

Nope, bakelite  is a thermosetting plastic does not melt with heat

Edited by croftie

19 minutes ago, croftie said:

Nope, bakelite  is a thermosetting plastic does not melt with heat

I guess the nearest equivalent that Matt would have come across would be a moulded resin piece. Except that Bakelite is much, much harder than resin and a lot more brittle. Think ‘old black telephones’ of the 40’s and 50’s. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I guess the nearest equivalent that Matt would have come across would be a moulded resin piece. Except that Bakelite is much, much harder than resin and a lot more brittle. Think ‘old black telephones’ of the 40’s and 50’s. 

Think white switch plate or white mains socket.  Don’t melt or even soften with heat.

This problem looks very similar to my requirement to repair/replace the fuel cock/choke knob on a 1980s 4hp evinrude outboard.  It's a twin cylinder 2-stroke that is reputed to be the best small outboard ever made.  The knob has a spindle with a flat on it that had broken off.   Replacement part not even available in the US.  I decided against trying to simulate the original part or to use epoxy.  I ended up cobbling something together that works just fine, and much more robust than the original design.

4 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Have you fixed it yet,?  As my wife keeps reminding me over my little jobs  -  "you have had a week" :clapping:

Look, I said I’d do it, ok? There’s no need to keep reminding me every six months. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

On 07/02/2019 at 21:28, WotEver said:

On 08/02/2019 at 00:02, Chewbacka said:

Think white switch plate or white mains socket.  Don’t melt or even soften with heat.

Yep im with you now i know the stuff you speak about, its an age thing see ?? ive just not been alive long enough ?

• Haha 1

On 03/02/2019 at 11:08, WotEver said:

Yup. Must be in full working order though. Check the internal battery is good and hasn’t corroded. 

Are these of any interest?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-hand-tools/avo-meter-model-7-with-non-original-leather-case-probes-and-instruction-book/1328792857

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-hand-tools/metrohm-meter-ohm-meter-electrical-resistance-meter/1329687017

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Know anyone with a 3D printer-that`s a possibility

Our local print shop has a 3D printer for creating customers’ designs. I’d imagine that’s quite common.