Canal lateral a loire + a general book question

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Okay, my next foray over to France, whenever that might be, is likely to be to stay in Briare and walk the complex local network, possibly getting the bus to Rogny as well (if I haven't got a car). One question, does anyone know why the lateral canal never extended downstream? I get that the river upstream was too unreliable, and that in the end the river crossing was too unreliable (rather like Beziers), was it more reliable downstream or was there not the demand? I note the river downstream is certainly not regarded as navigable today

Edited to add, for those who don't know, Briare is where the Canal de Briare joins the Loire and with the Canal Du Centre and the Loire connected the Seine to the Rhone, the canal Lateral a la Loire was later built to connect the two other canals (and also the canal du Nivernais) without needing to use the river.

Second, is there a general book on French Canal history, preferably in English but I could cope in French? Similar, at least in concept, to Hadfield's British Canals

Third, whilst we here, how navigable is the Loire from the Mayenne to Nantes? Possible trip, maybe next year but more likely 2021 or 2022. Anyone done it? It would allow me to launch on the Mayenne, travel through Frome's twin town Chateau Gontier and then onto the Canal du Nantes a Brest at Nantes

Asking these questions makes me realise what most newbies onto our canals must feel like!

Edited by magpie patrick

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Second, is there a general book on French Canal history, preferably in English but I could cope in French? Similar, at least in concept, to Hadfield's British Canals

Have a look if you can at Hugh McKnight's "Cruising French Waterways".  I've just been reading about the very region that you are interested in in that book.

It is not a full on history but does cover some.

• Greenie 1

I believe the Loire was navigable for a long period by various shallow drafted craft. The Briare was built first and you can still see the operational lock that leads down to the river from the basin. As you pass along the Lateral Canal there are a number of branches, some which are operational that lead down to the river and are used by some traditional river/fishing boats. Ths Canal du Centre does not start until you reach the end of the Canal Lateral. Various French waterway guides cover the area in detail with a little bit of history ncluded.

I'v e had Mr. McKnight's volume for some years and, while it is more practical than historical, it's a very good read. But, beware! After reading it, you'll want to visit all the waterways he's written about.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'v e had Mr. McKnight's volume for some years and, while it is more practical than historical, it's a very good read. But, beware! After reading it, you'll want to visit all the waterways he's written about.

You say that like that's a bad thing...? :lol:

Have a look at http://projetbabel.org/fluvial/index.htm by my friend Charles Berg, who has been researching French canal history for many years. You could also visit the Festival de la Loire in Orleans this year, 18-22 September (it is held every two years) where the theme this year is the Thames and English canals. We are hoping to take a stand promoting Kennet, and are talking to the Saturn group about their involvement as well. I went in 2007, and it was well worth attending.

There is no English language book on French canal history in general, though there are several about specific themes, such as on the Midi, or the post Napoleonic period. However, if you can find the the Geographical Handbooks produced by the Naval Intelligence Division in the 1940s, it does have an excellent overview. In French, there is their definitive canal history, Un Canal… des Canaux…, which is perhaps the most comprehensive book, and there are books specifically on the Loire. For the Canal de Briare, Jacques de la Garde, sadly now deceased, wrote Les Canaux du Loing, de Briare, d'Orleans, which is perhaps the best historical guide.

The Mayenne is certainly navigable, as the photos of the lock at Mayenne and the bateaux lavoir at Laval show, but the Loire gets very low in summer, as the last photo shows. If you go to the area, don't forget the River Thouet navigation, with its flash locks converted to chamber, and the Marais, with its complex of canals.

Mayenne.jpg

Laval.jpg

Loire.jpg

• Greenie 1

There was a canal from the other end of the Briare canal north of Montargis that went to Orleans where it joined the Loire River. This is derelict now but the junction is still there and I believe a lot of it is still visible and is cycle able.This would have cut out a lot of the shallows and sandbanks on the river.

the orleans canal was 74km long with 27 locks but was closed in 1954. 

Opposite Briare on the lateral canal there is an arm that goes down to a basin and old lock which was the route across the river before the aqueduct was built.

• Greenie 1

For background reading there is “Through the French canals” by Philip Bristow and , to tempt you a bit further south, “The Ways of Aquitaine”, by Freda White.

For a great insight into the whole of France, and very readable, I recommend “The Discovery of France” by Graham Robb.

Speaking of "very readable", and only mildly off-topic, Gerard Morgan-Grenville's 1970s trilogy 'Barging Into France', 'Barging Into Burgundy' and 'Barging Into Southern France', though of course dated now, is a delight. He bought an old ex-commercial barge in, I think, Holland, and,, in a triumph of perseverance over experience, navigated it through much of the French waterways system. It was reading these books which ignited my enthusiasm for inland waterways, which led to our first hire-boat trip on the Canal du Nivernais in about 1993, which led to a Grand Union hire trip the following year, which led to...well, look at me now.

I have 'Barging Into Burgundy' and can concur it is a fine read. Also have a book in French entitled 'Histoire de la Mariniere de La Loire'. A river of somewhat difficult navigation with shallows and quicksands. Looks like Pluto's last image in times of drought!

I liked the bit in barging into Burgundy where he left the barge at Roanne (now a big pleasure boat port) and gave the lock keeper some stamped addressed envelopes so he could sent reports. On returning he gave the chap some marmalade which was dismissed as orange jam. 

Great set of books.