Electric boats ?

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

We've got a shell that were going to fit out on our mooring starting in the spring, it has a petrol out board on it just to get it here and shuttle it about the local area if needed, can we get an electric boat discounted licence if we use an electric outboard ?

What if we had a outboard powered directly from our 6 kva Diesel generator would it still qualify ? ( probably have to built one ourselves ) 

4 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

What if we had a outboard powered directly from our 6 kva Diesel generator would it still qualify ? ( probably have to built one ourselves ) 

That would defeat everything that the concept of electric power is.

Totally inefficient running a 6KVa generator to power a battery charger to charge a battery to run an electric motor.

Why not just run a diesel engine to drive a propeller - I know -  pretty 'revolutionary' idea but it could catch on.

57 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

We've got a shell that were going to fit out on our mooring starting in the spring, it has a petrol out board on it just to get it here and shuttle it about the local area if needed, can we get an electric boat discounted licence if we use an electric outboard ?

The best advice you will get on this issue can be obtained from Peterboat. I suggest you send him a PM and your phone number. He is very knowledgeable about converting boats to electric and on issues with licensing. You will find he is passionate about electric conversions and happy to share.

Phil 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That would defeat everything that the concept of electric power is.

Totally inefficient running a 6KVa generator to power a battery charger to charge a battery to run an electric motor.

Why not just run a diesel engine to drive a propeller - I know -  pretty 'revolutionary' idea but it could catch on.

I think there would be a loss of energy from engine to generator to batteries to driving motor.You could I suppose,couple the generator directly to the driving motor,dispensing with the gearbox,making your boat a diesel electric, running the engine at it's most fuel efficient,but as AdE has observed,it would defeat the concept of electric power.

I can only think of one advantage,of using a genny to charge the batteries and that is having a few hours of silent running.(And fume free)

Edited by Mad Harold

1 hour ago, CompairHolman said:

As Phil says I have converted two now so PM me with a phone number and we can chat about it, also licensing can be shall we say interesting

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

The whole aim of this wasn't to cruise with it, or be more green or efficient, but to get a licence discount until such time as we fit the engine. 

Then why not just don't fit the engine until you are ready to cruise (& get the 'unpowered' discount in the meantime)

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then why not just don't fit the engine until you are ready to cruise (& get the 'unpowered' discount in the meantime)

The unpowered licence discount only applies to portable boats.

So if you don't intend to move the boat until you get the diesel engine fitted, then just fit the electric outboard and claim the electric boat discount. Have a battery on board so you can move the boat, albeit slowly, and take the battery home to recharge it.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The unpowered licence discount only applies to portable boats.

So if you don't intend to move the boat until you get the diesel engine fitted, then just fit the electric outboard and claim the electric boat discount. Have a battery on board so you can move the boat, albeit slowly, and take the battery home to recharge it.

That would seem a sensible way around it.

Alternatively save the money on the mooring fee and any licence fee and have it lifted out (or move onto non-C&RT waters) until you have finished fitting out the shell.

2 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

The whole aim of this wasn't to cruise with it, or be more green or efficient, but to get a licence discount until such time as we fit the engine. 

I dont think CRT will make it easy for you, I have removed my diesel engine and fitted an electric motor and they are still making things difficult! I am a committed electric boater with 3.6KW of solar on the roof, a large LifePo4 battery bank, and to reverse what I have done would be expensive, and still my new discounted license has not yet arrived! So for you with just an outboard I suspect they would not wear it as to reverse it would be the work of seconds to remove and then fit an ICE outboard. Maybe not what you want to hear but I suspect CRT would view it like I do

• Greenie 1

2.11 The 20% Electric Boat discount will be retained pending the Trust undertaking a swift review of options to consider how to apply any future discount in a way that would more effectively recognise, and encourage, more environmentally-friendly boating. It is intended that this will be completed, and any changes to the Electric Boat discount will be announced, by April 2019

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/35602-licensing-futures-decision-summary-response.pdf

Is there a formal CRT definition of what an electric boat is ? - at least for the purpose of qualifying for a discount.

I would assume it is one where the prime mover is a propeller only driven by an electric motor.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Electric Motor 25% discount if the Boat has an electric motor as its sole means of propulsion.

(From the licence T&Cs)

Which I do but still no license!! What worries me is the 20% mentioned as well seems like the left doesnt know what the right is doing,

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

" sole means of propulsion " is pretty vague.

What if you have a generator on board to charge the batteries to power the motor ?

You'll probably spend more on fuel to power the boat than you will save on the license cost

Richard

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

What if you have a generator on board to charge the batteries to power the motor ?

Presumably no whores oars allowed either.

Edit : Predictive text  !!!!!!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

.... as you are likely to have, where a generator would be essential because all the promised charging points never materialised, and those that have been installed are being so few and far between, meaning the generator needs to be large enough to propel the boat in the event of a flat battery, to reach a vacant mooring with a charging point.

If a generator disqualifies under terms of 'sole' - then using a pole to move the boat when the battery is flat must similarly apply.