Rate a Canal

Montgomery

Featured Posts

I have been reading through many posts on this forum for a while now, if I have a question or want to look for any boat or canal information it's my first port of call.

I recently had a bit of a random thought and idea... Do members think a Canal Rating (mainly for those new to boating or holiday makers) thread would work? I know some of the scoring sections could be quite subjective, but it could give a good overall view on each canal.

Example (scores out of 10... 10 being the highest/best score)

1. Scenery 

How scenic is the canal, is it surrounded by lush British countryside (fields, farmland, woodland and great views)

2. Industrial heritage

Does the canal have lots of industrial heritage such as old wharves, buildings etc

3. Locks

Are there many lock flights, long lock free sections, staircase locks, are the locks easy or difficult to navigate.

4. Moorings

Is it generally easy or hard to moor at different times of the year (busyness) are the banks good to moor against, is it generally Armco/solid bank or is it mainly pins and gang plank

5. Places of interest

Are there villages, towns, buildings, sites/museums or other things that are worth a visit within a short walk of the canal.

Pubs/Restaurants and other places to eat.

Are there any eateries within a short walk of the canal that are recommended to visit.

7. Facilities

Are there plenty of water, waste, elsan, pump out facilities on the canal and which are recommended.

8. Likelihood to recommend to others.

Would you recommend the canal to others based on your experience.

Total out of 80.

Like I say .... Just a random thought, happy for people to have a play around with the questions etc.... It could be quite a useful thread for those with lots of questions.... The same methodology could be used for popular cruising rings and out and backs too?

Please feel free to move if it's in the wrong section....wasn't sure where to post it.

Thoughts?

I don't think it could be quite subjective, I'd suspect it would be totally subjective.

On a recent thread entitled "Great Canal Journeys" a week ago, I said ……..

One of the greatest canal journeys I enjoyed was The BCN Main Line on a warm balmy day outside of school holidays.

One of the worst was Shropshire Union Woodseaves cutting, during school holidays and coinciding with a fishing match.

Also we all have our own special and magical places, night stops, towns and villages where we love to stay a few days.  I doubt I'm alone in admitting that I never share them with anyone as the last thing I want is for the world and his Aunty to turn up.  We've all had to find our own favourites, I'm not suggesting you should go and find your own. I am saying you'll miss out on a lot of fun and delight discovering them yourself though.

I think that all of your questions listed above are answered in any published guide.  When I started boating mid 60s all we had was a map which only showed the approximate location of locks.

Which is why your suggestion is not for me either, however best of luck if that's what you need.

• Greenie 2

I think the industrial heritage and the rural scenery questions balance each other - as a general rule a length of canal that scores highly on one will score badly on the other, although there are exceptions such as Froghall!

However locks are very subjective - some will want lots and some very few - therefore either could score 0 or 10

It will take me a while to score each canal on Lutine's never ending voyage - be patient!

18 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I think the industrial heritage and the rural scenery questions balance each other - as a general rule a length of canal that scores highly on one will score badly on the other, although there are exceptions such as Froghall!

However locks are very subjective - some will want lots and some very few - therefore either could score 0 or 10

It will take me a while to score each canal on Lutine's never ending voyage - be patient!

Not only that but the same canal would gain a widely varying score on different stretches even if scored by the same person.

How could you score the Coventry? Seriously urban and no locks, followed by semi-rural with locks, followed by mostly rural with no locks.

It's not one you'll regularly see folks recommending but it's got plenty to commend it. We should be championing waterways for what they offer not potentially ranking them as inferior on a very shaky basis.

JP

• Greenie 1

I think it gives a useful guide for what we might mention when discussing the merits of any particular canal. E.g Kennet and Avon 

Mostly rural, once away from Reading. Chalk uplands are pleasing rather than spectacular but you do get a white horse.

Industrial heritage limited but some fine rural wharves survive. 

Long climb from Reading made up of single locks every half mile is followed by only one flight of 4 in 20 miles and then a days hard labour at Devizes.

Mooring? Bring your gangplank

Pubs - yes, in the town's, none between

Facilities - few and far between 

Would I recommend it? It's lovely but you really won't like it so stay away and leave us in peace ??

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

A fishing match in Woodeaves cutting. You've got to be joking.   :giggles:

Not at all.

Very early 80s on a Sunday.

They tried the rope across the cut with a sign saying "Canal Closed" gag.  Quite a popular ruse in the North West in those days and perfected around Stoke on Trent and up The Caldon.

In terms of canals I have done the full length of, I would have to place the Trent and Mersey at the top of the list for having a bit of everything in the context of what you're asking, with the Staffs and Worcs and Worcester and Birmingham just behind.

I wouldn't state any of these as my personal favourite waterway mind and there are plenty of canals I haven't touched or have only done part of which I suspect would be nudging for top spot, going off guide books and other boaters' experience.