another scam beware

haza

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, haza said:

i thought i was doing good by just saying abt the scam .did not know i would have to defend my self ..scruddy what you on abt greenies you can shuv  them where the sun dont shine ...i was going to say up your

Wow, real classy. So do you get the hump immediately someone doesn't understand?

Edited by Athy
Modification of quoted post

1 hour ago, haza said:

i thought i was doing good by just saying abt the scam .did not know i would have to defend my self ..scruddy what you on abt greenies you can shuv  them where the sun dont shine ...i was going to say up your

I''m pleased that you didn't say it.:D

17 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Damn it, why cant I give a mod a greenie :banghead:
(rhetorical).
So rusty69 got it instead :P

Thanks Sssssssssssscrrrruuuuuudddddyyyyyy, appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, bizzard said:
16 minutes ago, Athy said:

And Scam pi and chips.

Scam pi = 3.15947 or 22/6

Edited by rusty69

My only scam suffered on Ebay was weird. I sold a trombone mouthpiece, got the money via PayPal, posted to the confirmed address. Only the address was in Scotland and the purchaser turned out to be in Liverpool and asked where his item was. He was straight (much to my surprise), so I gave his money back, wrote to the Scottish address asking for the thing back, offering to pay postage as I assumed something had just gone awry. Got no reply, though what she was going to do with it god only knows. In the end, got my money back from PayPal as they gave me a duff address, but still don't know how it was worked, or why anyone would bother for a 40 quid item. 

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My only scam suffered on Ebay was weird. I sold a trombone mouthpiece, got the money via PayPal, posted to the confirmed address. Only the address was in Scotland and the purchaser turned out to be in Liverpool and asked where his item was. He was straight (much to my surprise), so I gave his money back, wrote to the Scottish address asking for the thing back, offering to pay postage as I assumed something had just gone awry. Got no reply, though what she was going to do with it god only knows. In the end, got my money back from PayPal as they gave me a duff address, but still don't know how it was worked, or why anyone would bother for a 40 quid item. 

I think occasionally paypal suffers a serious glitch.  I found that I had 'inherited' a paypal account address that I had never heard of.   Fortunately no-one had purchased anything on my account so I managed to delete the alternative address.

5 hours ago, Jess-- said:

There's a few variations of the scam...

1. paypal payment goes through, goods get shipped and then payment reversed (claims item not as described / never received etc), seller loses goods & cash

2. Buyer generates fake paypal "payment received" emails and hopes the seller trusts the emails, seller loses goods and never had the cash to start with
3. buyer sends cheque for payment with extra "to pay the courier", seller passes goods to the courier (usually a friend of the buyer) along with the extra cash for their payment. cheque ends up being fake and does not clear, seller loses goods, cash for the item plus extra cash for the courier 

4. Seller emails privately, and suggests that he will get a better price (and will split the difference with you) if you both move away from the "reputable platform" (whether eBay, Gumtree or whatever) and conduct the transaction privately. Too late you realise that you've also lost any protection (or sympathy) that the reputable platform may have offered

47 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

4. Seller emails privately, and suggests that he will get a better price (and will split the difference with you) if you both move away from the "reputable platform" (whether eBay, Gumtree or whatever) and conduct the transaction privately. Too late you realise that you've also lost any protection (or sympathy) that the reputable platform may have offered

This is one of the reasons that I always bypass any Ebay ad that states “Cash or bank transfer, no Paypal”. They may have a perfectly valid reason for putting up an ad that breaches Ebay T&Cs but they won’t be getting my custom.