another scam beware

haza

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, haza said:

another scam doing the rounds goes by the name joseph buyer -via gumtree/ mnwnh @reply  gumtree.says he says the payment will do though gumtree as he as disability and can not come in person ,,regards

I'm not understanding - would you please explain what you mean & how the scam works.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Now FaceBook has what looks like a scam on it, buy a Narrowboat for £100 IF its true of course

So who is the telling the truth? Perhaps the person now on the boat did pay the full price in cash? 

Whoever might be at fault it does  seem cash (as in bank notes) is not a safe means of payment .

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

So who is the telling the truth? Perhaps the person now on the boat did pay the full price in cash? 

Whoever might be at fault it does  seem cash (as in bank notes) is not a safe means of payment .

He won't get far, will be an inch thick after tonight. 

a friend off mine was selling some stuff   on gumtree ,,my friend and the so  called buyer agreed the price and sale ..they exchanged emails.one email received from the buyer said due to is disability .he would send the cost off the stuff  via paypal ..and send courier for the stuff for sale , my friend thought this does not seem the right way to go about this .so contacted gumtree ,where he was told it was a scam ...

also was told this scammer is going on different site trying this

49 minutes ago, haza said:

a friend off mine was selling some stuff   on gumtree ,,my friend and the so  called buyer agreed the price and sale ..they exchanged emails.one email received from the buyer said due to is disability .he would send the cost off the stuff  via paypal ..and send courier for the stuff for sale , my friend thought this does not seem the right way to go about this .so contacted gumtree ,where he was told it was a scam ...

Seems legit to me. Where is the scam? Your friend gets his money via PayPal.

who would know where the scam is ..is this why there are so many of them ,if gumtree or any other selling site told me not to continue with the sale i would not...maybe some of you lot on here would .becuse most think they know better ..well when i suspect some thing else is a miss i will be sure not to let you lot now about it .

8 hours ago, haza said:

I have done very similar.

Contacted seller, agreed a price and asked them to post it when I have paid for it (by Paypal)

I once arranged for 'Palletline' (Courier) to go and pick up an engine for me, and another time "a man in a white van" to collect something too large to go in the car (there is a website where you can list jobs that need picking up / delivering and all the 'white van men' bid on doing the job for you).

It is often uneconomic to drive 100 miles each way to pick up an item valued at (say) £100

So far, the sellers have never let me down by taking the money and not shipping the goods - likewise I have never not paid when I have agreed to.

I don't see how "your friends" scam would work.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have done very similar.

Contacted seller, agreed a price and asked them to post it when I have paid for it (by Paypal)

I once arranged for 'Palletline' (Courier) to go and pick up an engine for me, and another time "a man in a white van" to collect something too large to go in the car (there is a website where you can list jobs that need picking up / delivering and all the 'white van men' bid on doing the job for you).

It is often uneconomic to drive 100 miles each way to pick up an item valued at (say) £100

So far, the sellers have never let me down by taking the money and not shipping the goods - likewise I have never not paid when I have agreed to.

I don't see how "your friends" scam would work.

i think its generally the reverse payment trick, once they have goods they tell paypal it was never received/faulty and the payment is reversed then they vanish into the ether as their details were false to begin with. you are then left with no cash and no goods.

gumtree/schpock/facebook marketplace etc. are full of con artists, for every one genuine seller/buyer theres at least ten taking the piss.

8 hours ago, haza said:

who would know where the scam is ..is this why there are so many of them ,if gumtree or any other selling site told me not to continue with the sale i would not...maybe some of you lot on here would .becuse most think they know better ..well when i suspect some thing else is a miss i will be sure not to let you lot now about it .

There's a few variations of the scam...

1. paypal payment goes through, goods get shipped and then payment reversed (claims item not as described / never received etc), seller loses goods & cash

2. Buyer generates fake paypal "payment received" emails and hopes the seller trusts the emails, seller loses goods and never had the cash to start with
3. buyer sends cheque for payment with extra "to pay the courier", seller passes goods to the courier (usually a friend of the buyer) along with the extra cash for their payment. cheque ends up being fake and does not clear, seller loses goods, cash for the item plus extra cash for the courier 

12 hours ago, haza said:

dont understand what i am saying ? what more can i say ...i wont bother next time ok 

8 hours ago, haza said:

Hilarious. So you come on saying rah scam on gumtree is disability do through gumtree, which quite frankly didn't make a lot of sense, then you get all humpy twice when asked for a bit more info. 

What's up, didn't you get enough greenies

A variation experienced by a record-trading friend of mine: customer orders rare record, a lovely clean copy. Friend sends record after receiving Pay Pal payment. Indignant customer says that record is not as described, withdraws his payment and sends the record back - only, it's a scratched, knackered copy of the same record. So he now has a nice shiny addition to his collection for no outlay except, I suppose, the cost of return postage.

8 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Hilarious. So you come on saying rah scam on gumtree is disability do through gumtree, which quite frankly didn't make a lot of sense, then you get all humpy twice when asked for a bit more info. 

What's up, didn't you get enough greenies

I wish to defend Haza. Although I couldn't understand the scam, it is possible what Haza wrote in the OP made sense to her. Perhaps she is dyslexic.

Edited by rusty69
is
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Athy said:

A variation experienced by a record-trading friend of mine: customer orders rare record, a lovely clean copy. Friend sends record after receiving Pay Pal payment. Indignant customer says that record is not as described, withdraws his payment and sends the record back - only, it's a scratched, knackered copy of the same record. So he now has a nice shiny addition to his collection for no outlay except, I suppose, the cost of return postage.

I've heard of a few similar scams - a broken phone returned which was obviously not the good condition one sent. Or item returned, but without all the accessories which were sent originally.

There's a lot to be said for collection in person in exchange for cash.

Also much to be said for making the platform (Ebay, etc.) jointly responsible for transactions that take place on or associated with their platform. A bit like credit card companies are jointly responsible fro the goods merchants supply. That may make them  more careful about who they allow to use their platforms. Going off topic a bit I would also like to see the likes of Facebook etc. defined as publishers and be held responsible for the content they encourage, host and allow. That would solve a lot of problems and if recent press reports are true some could be facing criminal proceedings I think.

We got unpleasantly eBay scammed.

sold an outboard motor we got with an inflatable boat.

never started it never put it in water, as we used an  electric egg whisk

the buyer paid for it, then reversed the transaction said it was not new, gave us negative feedback, and stated it would cost £5 more than he had paid for it for his courier and time to send back, plus his cost of confirming it was faulty with a marine engineer.

his feedback was appalling and untrue.

as a seller you are stuffed. We had left our rented accommodation and had no way of disproving his statements, or getting it back

to repair our reputation we took the hit and he ended up with a free outboard. It was Chinese anyway...

just hope it packed up on him in shark infested water.

57 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Going off topic a bit I would also like to see the likes of Facebook etc. defined as publishers and be held responsible for the content they encourage, host and allow. That would solve a lot of problems and if recent press reports are true some could be facing criminal proceedings I think.

Be careful what you wish for. For example, that would make Dan legally responsible for all the content posted here, including the potentially libellous comments about named individuals which have been posted from time to time. After a few high profile legal actions you would find nobody willing to own forums like this one.

12 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

We got unpleasantly eBay scammed.

sold an outboard motor we got with an inflatable boat.

never started it never put it in water, as we used an  electric egg whisk

the buyer paid for it, then reversed the transaction said it was not new, gave us negative feedback, and stated it would cost £5 more than he had paid for it for his courier and time to send back, plus his cost of confirming it was faulty with a marine engineer.

his feedback was appalling and untrue.

as a seller you are stuffed. We had left our rented accommodation and had no way of disproving his statements, or getting it back

to repair our reputation we took the hit and he ended up with a free outboard. It was Chinese anyway...

just hope it packed up on him in shark infested water.

You mean like Ebay etc!

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Be careful what you wish for. For example, that would make Dan legally responsible for all the content posted here, including the potentially libellous comments about named individuals which have been posted from time to time. After a few high profile legal actions you would find nobody willing to own forums like this one.

That is a potential problem but it is solvable by exempting platforms that do not make money from the content they host. As, it seems, the forum finance is held in a special account specifically for forum use then this and many other forums would be exempt. Another way of doing it would be to consider the number of paid employees of the platform owners.

The main things I have had problems with on ebay (as a seller) is shipping companies destroying parcels (when I say destroying I mean holes through the parcel, the item inside and out the other side)

the only time I had a problem with a buyer was for a laptop, a week after purchase they claimed it was faulty and returned it.

looking at other items they had purchased I noticed they had bought a docking station which would have arrived about a week after they got the laptop. the docking station had warnings on it that it must never be connected or disconnected while the laptop was on or specific damage would be done to the laptop.

oddly the faults on the laptop matched the damage from unplugging the docking station exactly. in the end I knew they had got the laptop, then ordered the docking station to use with it and then fried the laptop with the docking station but had no way of proving it.

i thought i was doing good by just saying abt the scam .did not know i would have to defend my self ..scruddy what you on abt greenies you can shuv  them where the sun dont shine ...i was going to say up your

Edited by Athy
Removal of bad language