New Webasto Thermotop EVO for marine just released

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

From Webasto via email some time ago:

The heater has the added benefit of offering a variable output from 2-5kw to ensure the water in the circuit is always kept at an optimal temperature.

The water pump has a better flow rate and with adjustable water connections, installations can be more compact and neater.

The heater also features a new quieter fuel pump and the entire heater is the quietest heater Webasto have made.

Currently discounted to £1632 incl fitting kit, Heatmeiser timer etc. Given that the Bubble PJ incl. full kit is offered at £1800, the Webasto will have to be good!

So, who wants to be a guinea pig? :wacko:

https://www.butlertechnik.com/uncategorised-c121/webasto-thermo-top-evo-5-diesel-narrowboat-kit-with-seven-day-timer-4117864a-p2755

• 2 months later...
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:35, Markinaboat said:

Currently discounted to £1632 incl fitting kit, Heatmeiser timer etc. Given that the Bubble PJ incl. full kit is offered at £1800, the Webasto will have to be good!

If that was the fitted price it would be so tempting.
When I asked a Webasto installer for a price on putting a heater in the Cat, they quoted "somewhere over £1000 for the installation".

(Presumably the £1632 doesn't include fitting).

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If that was the fitted price it would be so tempting.
When I asked a Webasto installer for a price on putting a heater in the Cat, they quoted "somewhere over £1000 for the installation".

(Presumably the £1632 doesn't include fitting).

Just the kit and all that's needed. I'd fit it myself. I would imagine in a catamaran, access/routing etc is somewhat more challenging than in a NB!

• 1 month later...

I had my old Thermo Top C replaced by an Evo 5 Narrowboat kit in January. It took the fitter about 3 hours. Its a lot more economical to run and the pump is very quiet, the main unit isn't much quieter than my old one when running. ?

Edited by Horgi

1 hour ago, Horgi said:

I had my old Thermo Top C replaced by an Evo 5 Narrowboat kit in January. It took the fitter about 3 hours. Its a lot more economical to run and the pump is very quiet, the main unit isn't much quieter than my old one when running. ?

so not living upto  Webasto's statement?

:detective:  "whisper quiet heating operation" 

my current boat has an Eber in. Quieter than the Webasto inside the boat ans uses very little fuel by comparison. Not living aboard now so not such an issue but after much procrastination, if I did put another system in and funds permitting, it would be a Hurricance.

2 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

my current boat has an Eber in. Quieter than the Webasto inside the boat ans uses very little fuel by comparison. Not living aboard now so not such an issue but after much procrastination, if I did put another system in and funds permitting, it would be a Hurricance.

I had the Hurricane on this boat when I bought it, a superb bit of kit but it had done seven billion hours and became unviable to service. A replacement was eighty four million pounds so I bought two webasto units from a bloke on ebay. Been superb so far, keep one serviced and ready in a box so no down time if one goes wrong. Same bod services and repairs, does a first class job, very quickly and for peanuts. With the inlet and exhaust silencers fitted its dead quiet and barely audible. Its great early winter/late summer and for additional heat in the back when its baltic, otherwise the proper solid fuel stove takes care of the 24/7 heating.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I had the Hurricane on this boat when I bought it, a superb bit of kit but it had done seven billion hours and became unviable to service. A replacement was eighty four million pounds so I bought two webasto units from a bloke on ebay. Been superb so far, keep one serviced and ready in a box so no down time if one goes wrong. Same bod services and repairs, does a first class job, very quickly and for peanuts. With the inlet and exhaust silencers fitted its dead quiet and barely audible. Its great early winter/late summer and for additional heat in the back when its baltic, otherwise the proper solid fuel stove takes care of the 24/7 heating.

this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webasto-Thermo-Top-boat-motorhome-diesel-water-heater-warranty/252144112661?hash=item3ab4f5d415:g:~RgAAOSwMqBae0LB

I like the idea of variable output ( OP's first email) and may be considering the Webasto Evo 5. Boat came with an old, non working 5kw Eber. I don't feel like spending the money to have it refurbished and then to sort out all the old attachments, many of which need replacing. More than one person has advised me to toss it in the skip as they give too many problems. I'd also like to work it in parallel with the electric flow boiler which we use when moored at our residential spot and plugged in to shore juice. A few 3-port valves to switch between the two.

On 16/05/2019 at 14:03, Markinaboat said:

Yes, thats the guy. First class service and genuine bloke. Serviced and returned one unit inside 3 days.

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, thats the guy. First class service and genuine bloke. Serviced and returned one unit inside 3 days.

Definitely has to be a consideration as the same on a previous boat was very reliable.

6 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Definitely has to be a consideration as the same on a previous boat was very reliable.

I agree. very reliable and quiet. Not as good as say a hurricane for full time use but as additional/early winter etc etc heat source an exellent choice. My present boat didnt have a solid fuel stove  on purchase hence the hurricane fitted which did a good job, however we always fit a solid fuel stove to our boat so when the hurricane became unviable the webasto has proved well up to our needs.

2 hours ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

More than one person has advised me to toss it in the skip as they give too many problems

Hmm, I'm reluctant tell you (for fear of the commentators curse) that my Eber is over 10 years old and has never needed or had any attention whatsoever!  The secret is to buy the smallest you can get away with and work it hard to prevent coking up. According to Eberspacher's own report from the investigation into numerous early failures a few years ago (available on their website) it's poor installation practices and short cycling that kills them. I believe the move to low sulphur diesel has also helped.  Member @NMEA is well versed in such heaters and it might be worth speaking to him before you consign your Eber to the bin.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Point taken. However, I feel that at 5kw, the Eber is just too much for 3 rads and a heated towel rail. Would prefer something lighter and work it harder to limit cycling, hence my interest in the variable output heater

I think you are correct. My webasto does indeed run 4 double radiators and several fin rads 6 or 8 iirc, also the cauliflower and approx 200 feet of 22 mil pipework. Its set up perfectly and never cycles. Its instalations that are the killers of such systems generaly.