Plumbing in a twin tub or other washing machine ideas

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

We are doing some work on our boat and now we have a family we'd love to have a washing option on board. We have a twintub but find having to lug it to the bathroom everytime we use it a pain (it's stored under a bed). We have been thinking to put a washing machine in where the twin tub now is and plumbing it in from there, the bathroom is next to it so hopefully it could connect quite well. However I'm struggling to get a clear view on washing machines...we are mostly marina based nowadays but I hear that most marina power supplies aren't enough for a conventional machine so marine models are reccomended but as with everything like this they are bonkersly expensive. Most people love their twin tubs but then we hit our current issue. 

I was wondering two things:

1. Peoples ideas and experiences with washing machines on boats.

2. Has anyone ever plumbed in a twin tub. I imagine putting it on a platform with runners so it can be pulled out from under the bed and loaded up then a hose with tap to fill it up and then a valve to open to send it to the same place as a washing machine would pump out. Could this work, has anyone heard of it working? 

Interested to hear your thoughts

Many thanks

H

When we moved onboard four and half years ago, the first thing I was 'instructed' to do was fit an automatic washing machine. We sacrificed a under worktop cupboard and installed a Zanussi compact machine. Cold water feed, as they all are nowadays but fill via short hose from hot water supply to save draining the batteries of power. Works a treat.