Oil pressure gauge

Tatguy

Featured Posts

Ok i have a 2 and a quarter landrover series 2a 

When i turn on ignition the oil pressure gauge goes full even without engine running 

When i start the engine it remains full 

Any ideas?

Edited by Tatguy

4 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

Ok i have a 2 and a quarter landrover series 2a 

When i turn on ignition the oil pressure gauge goes full even without engine running 

When i start the engine it remains full 

Any ideas?

Sender on the engine knackered I reckon. Pull the wire off it and see if the gauge needle drops.  The sender should be on the oil filter housing.  Although an oil pressure gauge wasn't, I don't think standard on a 2A just a light. It might be an capillary tube pressure gauge type,

Edited by bizzard

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Sender on the engine knackered I reckon. Pull the wire off it and see if the gauge needle drops.  The sender should be on the oil filter housing.  Although an oil pressure gauge wasn't, I don't think standard on a 2A just a light. It might be an capillary tube pressure gauge type,

Possibly a bad earth if an electrical gauge.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Possibly a bad earth if an electrical gauge.

Thats what I mean. The sender has failed permanently to earth. But it might have the non electric capillary tube type

Edited by bizzard

2 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

It only drops down if i touch wire from switch to earth 

Other than that nothing happens 

Its on constant weather there is wire on switch or not 

Are there two wires on the switch ?, there would normally be  if its working a gauge and not a light and touching earth with the neg- wire on it would make the gauge needle drop. Still sender switch fault I reckon, stuck at high pressure.

Odd that it’s permanently on. Would have thought the +ve would be supplied from an ignition supply. 

Has it always been on ? Has something changed recently ?

ETA sorry mis read post you say it’s ignition controlled (doh) 

as others say got to be sender then .

Edited by jonathanA
Missed post info

4 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Odd that it’s permanently on. Would have thought the +ve would be supplied from an ignition supply. 

Has it always been on ? Has something changed recently ?

This is it, an oil pressure gauge wasn't standard fitting on a 2A but one of the great many approved after market extras available for L/R's. So we don't know who or how it was wired the pos+ might come straight off the battery or wired to the live side of the fuse box or something.

I think you made the same mistake as me the ops post #1 and #6 are slightly contradictory. But on rereading I took 6 to mean the pressure gauge shows max all the time (the ign is on) earthing the sender lead means the wiring is sound as the gauge reading  drops. 

35 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I think you made the same mistake as me the ops post #1 and #6 are slightly contradictory. But on rereading I took 6 to mean the pressure gauge shows max all the time (the ign is on) earthing the sender lead means the wiring is sound as the gauge reading  drops. 

I see what you mean.   A sender for a gauge would be the larger variable pressure type with one or two terminals. A sender  for a light is just basically an on/off switch and much smaller. The one with two terminals would also work a warning light at the same time using the lights earth neg- for its earth. On either type the pos+ feed should as you say be wired to the ignition switch or a junction box, live only when ignition its switched on.

A typical bi-coil gauge, be it fuel, pressure or temperature, has three terminal on the back, one being a   n earth *negative). The needle is held between two coils. The one going to the sender has a variable magnetic strength depending upon the sender while the other that is fed to earth has a fixed magnetic strength. If, as someone said above, the earth on the gauge fails the unit may read full all the time the ignition is on.

28 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Another unreliable electric gizmo replacing a simple mechanical item - capillary tube.

My friend had her electric window fail - no winding handle.

Yeah, we had our vacuum cleaner break. It was a hell of a job getting the fitted carpet up so we could beat it over the washing line...