Moorings in Lymm area of Bridgewater Canal

Lymm Life

Featured Posts

Hi

We are complete newbies to the boat world.

We used to live in the Lymm area and are now thinking of buying a boat to stay on for our visits to that area. We are finding it very difficult to find detailed info online to figure out likely costs and other issues.

Would be very grateful for any advice we should consider.

We are thinking of a wide beam boat rather than a narrowboat, and know the likely cost of buying/fitting out. We are aware we would be quite limited where we could travel to, but think I'm right in thinking we could go from Castlefield to Preston Brook without too much trouble? Please correct me if wrong.

What we are really struggling with is information about waiting times and costs for moorings. We would prefer moorings somewhere between Altrincham and Stockton Heath.

What other fees should I be aware of?

Any advice on moorings, and anything else you think I should research, would be very much appreciated.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

See http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/mooring for mooring info on the Bridgewater Canal.

With a CRT licence as well you would have much more than Castlefiled to Preston Brook available to a widebeam boat.

How far north can you go on a Bridgewater licence, if it was Narroboat they could go to Barbridge the other way

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

How far north can you go on a Bridgewater licence, if it was Narroboat they could go to Barbridge the other way

Burscough Wharf  or the bottom of Blackburn Locks the other way, subject to the 7 day agreement.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/26465-bridgewater-reciprocal-agreement.pdf

If I remember correctly,Croxton Aqueduct (before Big Lock) is the limit on the Trent and Mersey.I have been through with a boat about 8ft. Covered by a Bridgewater licence,. Does a Bridgewater licence cover you as far as Wigan? Obviously,length is an issue if you want to cross the Leeds and Liverpool.

The Bridgewater Reciprocal agreement lets you travel to/from Liverpool if booked in to go down into Salthouse Dock.

Between Altrincham and Stockton Heath there's no shortage of mooring sites, but whether any of them have any vacancies is another question!

Here's a list of the mooring sites you may want to investigate.

Oldfield Quays, Oldfield Brow, Altrincham (Bridgewater Canal Co)
Ye Olde No 3 moorings, Little Bollington (Bridgewater Canal Co)

Lymm Marina moorings, in Agden, Lymm (Private)

Barn Owl pub moorings in Agden, Lymm (Private)

Bridgeworks at Lloyds Bridge, Outrington, Lymm (Private)

Massey Brook on the south side of Lymm (Bridgewater Canal Co)

Pickerings Bridge in Grappenhall (Bridgewater Canal Co)

S&A Marina, Cliff Lane, Grappenhall (Bridgewater Canal Co)

Stockton Lane, Grappenhall (Bridgewater Canal Co)

Stockton Quays by the London Bridge Pub, Stockton Heath (private)

Opposite Moore Post Office (private)

Hope that helps

Liam

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Strange, they still have the choice on the online booking form for Bridgewater Canal license holders to book in free of charge as part of the agreement?

I booked in towards the back end of last year for April and May of this year with no mention of an extra charge.

(I hold a CRT license too but for simplicity, book in as a Bridgewater boat, as that's my primary license)

The same applied to my parents boat, which is Bridgewater registered only, they're booked in for May and have had no issue being a Bridgewater registered boat.

4 minutes ago, Liam said:

Strange, they still have the choice on the online booking form for Bridgewater Canal license holders to book in free of charge as part of the agreement

Maybe nobody told the people that run the booking system!

Notably that change took place when the Bridgewater introduced the 7 days no return for 28 days rule ...

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe nobody told the people that run the booking system!

Notably that change took place when the Bridgewater introduced the 7 days no return for 28 days rule ...

Which is fair enough, it's got to be give and take not just take take take!