Best Multi-fuel Stove?

Stephen Jeavons

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Having settled on a small Chilly Penguin stove, I've been looking at the flu system. According to the manufacturer of the stove, new regs require that the deck collar be double skinned on all new installations (health and safety, etc.). The upstand on the stove is 127mm (5 inches). The Penguin flu (if I choose to buy theirs) has a 35mm air gap between the two skins making the overall diameter of the outer pipe in the region of 196mm (a shade under 8 inches). Seems like a very chunky pipe to me. Does anyone know if these sizes are typical or do you get flu system with smaller air gaps? If you do get narrower pipes do they violate some regulation or other?

As it is, I cannot use the original iron deck collar in my boatsmans cabin (which has an outer diameter of 6" (150mm) ) as it is not double skinned.

Comments/Suggestions?

Stephen

3 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Comments/Suggestions?

Forget about the double-skin idea. It’s not applicable to boats which have far shorter flues than a house and I don’t believe that the regulations apply to boats either, even if built to the RCD. You get a lot of heat into the boat from a single skin flue. 

• Greenie 1

I believe traditional back cabins are an exception to all these new fangled regulations, so stick with a thick walled steel single skin flue.

Note that back cabin stoves are something that should not be left unattended for a significant time, and it might be safer to get an Epping type range to qualify as a "traditional back cabin" installation, you would need to check this with your BSS man.

Proper back cabin stoves are designed to not radiate too much heat from the back and sides, take care fitting a different stove into this very confined space.

...............Dave.

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

I believe traditional back cabins are an exception to all these new fangled regulations, so stick with a thick walled steel single skin flue.

Note that back cabin stoves are something that should not be left unattended for a significant time, and it might be safer to get an Epping type range to qualify as a "traditional back cabin" installation, you would need to check this with your BSS man.

Proper back cabin stoves are designed to not radiate too much heat from the back and sides, take care fitting a different stove into this very confined space.

...............Dave.

Our back cabin will not be traditional. 

We intend re-purposing the space and will be altering the existing cupboard installation so we should have enough surrounding space. My worry is that the manufacturers of modern stoves stipulate that they don't work well and are inefficient unless a double skinned flu is installed. I wouldn't be surprised if they would refuse to honour any warranty issues too. I would prefer to keep my iron deck collar as it is already installed. I also take WotEver's point about the heat radiated from the pipe. It's a tricky one as the ceiling is timber and the narrowness of the space means that stove placement will not be too far from the wall. We are planning to fit heat-proof panels and provide an air gap as per the regs. It's this double-skinned flu thing that has me rattled.

Stephen 

6 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Our back cabin will not be traditional. 

We intend re-purposing the space and will be altering the existing cupboard installation so we should have enough surrounding space. My worry is that the manufacturers of modern stoves stipulate that they don't work well and are inefficient unless a double skinned flu is installed. I wouldn't be surprised if they would refuse to honour any warranty issues too. I would prefer to keep my iron deck collar as it is already installed. I also take WotEver's point about the heat radiated from the pipe. It's a tricky one as the ceiling is timber and the narrowness of the space means that stove placement will not be too far from the wall. We are planning to fit heat-proof panels and provide an air gap as per the regs. It's this double-skinned flu thing that has me rattled.

Stephen 

I have replaced an epping with a Hobbit in my back cabin (because the epping ran too hot). I stuck with the original single skinned flue and had no issue at the BSS.

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

I have replaced an epping with a Hobbit in my back cabin (because the epping ran too hot). I stuck with the original single skinned flue and had no issue at the BSS.

The bss requirement is there should be no evidence of heat damage to surrounding surfaces that can burn.  As far as I remember, the double wall flue requirement is advised for boats, not mandatory.  

17 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

The bss requirement is there should be no evidence of heat damage to surrounding surfaces that can burn.  As far as I remember, the double wall flue requirement is advised for boats, not mandatory.  

I agree.

By the time I had the Hobbit fitted all the charred wood around the epping was cut out or hidden behind the fire-boards and tiling.

Double skinned flues are a  carry-over from the latest house practice. As others have said,  they are not mandatory, nor are they needed to satisfy a standard.  They are recommended by the current advisory Code of Practice,  but that means that if they are not fitted there needs to be good reason.  Being wholly impracticable in a back cabin is a good reason.  The ,(single wall) flue fitted then needs to be properly constructed, sealed, supported etc., and not pose any obvious danger to occupants.

Common practice is to use 113 mm OD steel pipe fabricated to the shortest route between the stove collar and the roof chimney collar.  113 mm is a good size for the typical 6in OD collar as it allows space for some fire rope and sealant at the top to accommodate the expansion in the pipe as it gets hot.  The stove end may need to be enlarged, or tapered slightly to reduce the diameter, to fit the stove collar, again allowing for some sealant.  Any competent fabricator will be able to do that.   Ideally the weight of the pipe should not rest on the stove top.

Then all you need is a CO alarm and some matches!

N