RCR engine service

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

RCR are offering an engine service for £140.  As far as I'm aware, all that needs doing on an air-cooled Lister SR2 is an oil change and fuel filter -  is there anything I've missed that they'd do to make it worth while paying it?

The enjoyment of sitting back and watching them do it???   

Though I wouldn't pay myself.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

RCR are offering an engine service for £140.  As far as I'm aware, all that needs doing on an air-cooled Lister SR2 is an oil change and fuel filter -  is there anything I've missed that they'd do to make it worth while paying it?

Travelling time (both ways) and vehicle costs, £50 per hour (+VAT) for 'mechanic'.

They need to cover a portion of 'head office running costs' (rent, rates, elec, water, heating) & office staff costs (holiday pay, NI, maternity pay, wages etc) and at the end of the day they are in business to make a profit.

Pay the 'tax man' 21% (of what they make) Corporation Tax.

Pay the VAT man his 20%

Pay their accountants £1000's per annum

Add in 'material costs' and It looks a good offer.

No one appreciates the costs of running a business until they have actually done it.

(I would do it myself tho'.)

• Greenie 1

Re--SR2.  Engine wise, apart from oli and fuel filter there's cleaning out the lift pump sediment chamber and filter, check and adjust tappets, injection timing and idle speed. But I doubt if they'd do any of those items after the oil and fuel filter or perhaps know how to. Ask them.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Re--SR2.  Engine wise, apart from oli and fuel filter there's cleaning out the lift pump sediment chamber and filter, check and adjust tappets, injection timing and idle speed. But I doubt if they'd do any of those items after the oil and fuel filter or perhaps know how to. Ask them.

I'd be surprised. Most of their blokes have never seen a Lister.

Re Alan's post, I'm not complaining about the price, just bearing in mind that I change the oil anyway and the fuel filter aint rocket science, even if it does involve some swearing, there's no real need to bother about much else.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Re Alan's post, I'm not complaining about the price, just bearing in mind that I change the oil anyway and the fuel filter aint rocket science, even if it does involve some swearing, there's no real need to bother about much else.

Cleaning out the lift pump is quite important.

48 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think you might find the engine service will only consist of oil change and changing the filters. That is all they did when I've used them for their engine service.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Does that include them coming to you are are you going to them? If they do it where you want I reckon its a fair price. Time taken getting to you/from you. A vehicle to run. Once commited they cannot unless lucky do much else unless very near by?

Compared to a car service at a main dealer(300) thats cheap

( apprentice to change oil and filter, throw smelly stuff in screenbottle) walk round clockwise look at tyres walk round anticlockwise look at lights. Wheelspin into washbay where spotty lower apprentice washes car. Throw paper bits into footwells.) 

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If you are a member does it affect anything to do with your ongoing cover if you don't do it??

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Cleaning out the lift pump is quite important.

But even that is not too hard as long as you strive to keep the cap seal in the cap because they tend to well and if you take it out I have doubts you will get it back in again. This assumes a typical AC type lift pump.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But even that is not too hard as long as you strive to keep the cap seal in the cap because they tend to well and if you take it out I have doubts you will get it back in again. This assumes a typical AC type lift pump.

It might not even have one,''gravity feed.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

40 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Compared to a car service at a main dealer(300) thats cheap

( apprentice to change oil and filter, throw smelly stuff in screenbottle) walk round clockwise look at tyres walk round anticlockwise look at lights. Wheelspin into washbay where spotty lower apprentice washes car. Throw paper bits into footwells.) 

Ah yes but modern oil is horribly expensive. - the stuff for my car is £15.00 a litre

39 minutes ago, Halsey said:

If you are a member does it affect anything to do with your ongoing cover if you don't do it??

No, never had them do it before, always done it myself. But as old age grabs me, it's harder and harder to reach the bits that need to be reached...

36 minutes ago, Keith M said:

There is at least one air-cooled Lister engine where the engineers and apprentices train.

Well, so far on breakdowns I'm all square - two looked at it, said "I don't know anything about them" and walked off, leaving me stranded, and two were first rate and knew the things backwards. 

9 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

There is an extra charge of £5 for this.

Is this new? There was no such charge on the two occasions (more recent two years ago)  that RCR serviced our Gardner. The price also includes the oil up to a certain amount - our engine apparently has a large sump so we had to pay for some of it, but you shouldn't have that problem with a smaller engine.

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

e.

As Listers must be one of the most common makes of engine on the canals, why should this be so?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not sure that the likes of the SR2 & the old Air-cooled Lister 'thumper' engines are that common - although the Lister water-cooled LPWs 3's & 4's are.

Yes, I was including modern Canal Stars and the like, as I'm sure Arthur was, not just big burly JPs and slow-popping SRs and STs.

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is this new? There was no such charge on the two occasions (more recent two years ago)  that RCR serviced our Gardner. The price also includes the oil up to a certain amount - our engine apparently has a large sump so we had to pay for some of it, but you shouldn't have that problem with a smaller engine.

As Listers must be one of the most common makes of engine on the canals, why should this be so?

Yes the £5 charge for oil disposal is a recent additional charge.