Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
36national

cloudy diesel

Featured Posts

I have been using a product that causes water to be absorbed in the fuel but last time I looked at the contents of the filter  the fuel was clear.  Additives are   intended only to deal with a microscopic quantity of water. 

It would possibly be appropriate to use marine 16 as a precautionary treatment with the fresh fuel - in case water is getting into the tank.

As a minimum the fuel filling arrangements on the boat  might be checked to see there is no means of water ingress.

 

While it would seem a shame to dispose of 100 litres of fuel it is perhaps the safest option.

You could consider mixing 100ml of Diesel fuel complete in the 100 litres of diesel and wait a few days to see if the water drops out.

However would suggest contacting Marine 16 for advice before wasting time and money.

https://marine16.co.uk/product/diesel-fuel-complete/

.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2019 at 17:15, 36national said:

 

Her engine has been running fine with it but due to the cloudiness we have removed the diesel from the fuel tank. Should she put it back and use it, can it be treated and cleared or should she dispose of it? What are the chances of engine damage if she uses it ? The engine in question is a Kingfisher so quite old.

 

 

 

In reply to your post no. 23.

 

It might have altered some of the replies had you said that you were aware that the cloudiness was due to water.

Anyway, taking your points in order:-

No she should not put it back - this would be irrational since you removed it due to cloudiness which is still present

You already know that it can be treated - you don't need to ask this.

Yes, she should dispose of it - with as little humour as possible.

It doesn't matter what the chances are of engine damage, any damage at all is likely to cost more than the price of 100l of diesel. In any case you would have to put it back in order to use it and we have established that such an action would be irrational.

 

So, good luck with disposing of the diesel and with the baby on a stick - you might want to post some photos of you enjoying your meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frahkn said:

In reply to your post no. 23.

 

It might have altered some of the replies had you said that you were aware that the cloudiness was due to water.

Anyway, taking your points in order:-

No she should not put it back - this would be irrational since you removed it due to cloudiness which is still present

You already know that it can be treated - you don't need to ask this.

Yes, she should dispose of it - with as little humour as possible.

It doesn't matter what the chances are of engine damage, any damage at all is likely to cost more than the price of 100l of diesel. In any case you would have to put it back in order to use it and we have established that such an action would be irrational.

 

So, good luck with disposing of the diesel and with the baby on a stick - you might want to post some photos of you enjoying your meal.

and your expertise is what ?

 

 

 

 

 

  • Unimpressed 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MartynG said:

I have been using a product that causes water to be absorbed in the fuel but last time I looked at the contents of the filter  the fuel was clear.  Additives are   intended only to deal with a microscopic quantity of water. 

It would possibly be appropriate to use marine 16 as a precautionary treatment with the fresh fuel - in case water is getting into the tank.

As a minimum the fuel filling arrangements on the boat  might be checked to see there is no means of water ingress.

 

While it would seem a shame to dispose of 100 litres of fuel it is perhaps the safest option.

You could consider mixing 100ml of Diesel fuel complete in the 100 litres of diesel and wait a few days to see if the water drops out.

However would suggest contacting Marine 16 for advice before wasting time and money.

https://marine16.co.uk/product/diesel-fuel-complete/

.

 

 

 

 

Polishing is just fine filtration and will not remove water unless it is combined with gravity separation or perhaps  centrifuging.  The sample you show looks like the water was fairly evenly dispersed. This could be a result of a dispersal additive or simply mechanical disturbance, when it was pumped out. If it was just a fuel water mixture it should fairly quickly, if left undisturbed, say in 24hrs start to clear from the top in which case you could decant "clear and  bright" fuel from the top back into your fuel tank. An additive will  slow this process and will probably reduce the quantity of recoverable acceptable fuel. Gravity separation of water out by settling is standard procedure throughout the oil industry.

Disposal of contaminated hydrocarbons is a real problem. It is pleasing to see the OP making responsible efforts to do so. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 36national said:

way ahead o you mate

 

I think the best bet is to ask your friend to decide what she wants to do as  presumably she will be the one who pays the bills.  I think this would be a better plan. Your photo is not even of the contaminated fuel in question.

You are giving the impression of someone who asks a Q, provides minimal information, rejects answers which you don't like, and questions folks about their qualifications!

Clearly, there is no magic wand solution, but the answer is here, within the thread.

 🤐

 

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 36national said:

way ahead o you mate

So the purpose of this thread is what?  You asked several questions, don’t appear to like the replies, and question the expertise of anyone who comments. What’s the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a load of strange fine sooty stuff in my fuel some years back. Don't think it was bug....something fine from the bottom of a chandlery tank.

I bought a couple of dustbins...and pumped the fuel through a set of these...one inside the other...( available on Ebay in whole range of sizes)

Worked fine...

Available right down to very tiny micron sizes......

 

PS...     don't use them on your Willy !..    😁

 

 

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Bobbybass
  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

I had a load of strange fine sooty stuff in my fuel some years back. Don't think it was bug....something fine from the bottom of a chandlery tank.

I bought a couple of dustbins...and pumped the fuel through a set of these..one inside the other...( available on Ebay in whole range of sizes)

Worked fine...

 

PS...     don't use them on your Willy !..    😁

 

 

 

 

fortunately, in this instance, perhaps, the question does not arise!

 

Mystified of Middlesburgh.

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

PS…     I used the amazingly fine one and it took out cloudiness that I thought was water....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Look suspiciously like a home knitted "femdom"

Actually...they're a lot bigger than you realise....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Actually...they're a lot bigger than you realise....

 

I got that from the dustbin reference, it's just that you forgot to put up an image earlier in the day....

Anyways, OP has gone the way of others before him......................

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WotEver said:

So the purpose of this thread is what?  You asked several questions, don’t appear to like the replies, and question the expertise of anyone who comments. What’s the point?

I think in this case OP represents obnoxious and petulant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 36national said:

I personally  am sure  that mad harold has greater insight than the others BECAUSE

he has had the same problem  and dealt with it

just as im also aware that polishing / filtration is an option

there seems to be little point in spending 70 quid  polishing eighty quids worth of diesel

the swan thing was a joke 

Im off to eat baby on a stick

 

Oh stoppit,you're making me blush!

The main problem was disposing of the dirty fuel,that's why after several filterings I tipped it back in the tank.Can't pour it down the drain,the council tip won't take it,and the marina would charge.I forgot to add that,the marina would only take a few litres,and not the total amount.

The bit of knowledge I have of boating comes from three years of doing my own maintenance,making lots of cock ups and seeking advice from CWF.

There are some "smart alec" answers,some theories,and in and among,some first rate advice from qualified and experienced people who generously share their expertise. I don't take everything on here as "gospel"but reading all answers,and giving them serious thought,I have found ways of tackling my boaty problems.

Please don't go stamping off muttering unkind words about CWF,but persevere,it is worth it.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eating Asparagus can make your pee cloudy too.  and turn green.  The red colourant in seaside rock used to make mine turn red, crotchineal :mellow:

Edited by bizzard
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Eating Asparagus can make your pee cloudy too.  and turn green.  The red colourant in seaside rock used to make mine turn red, crotchineal :mellow:

Have you tried those effervescent vitamin tablets? They produce a fair impression of a light sabre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been giving the subject of contaminated fuel more thought in the light of all these posts.

 

As the fuel pickup pipe in the tank is above the tank bottom so that water/sediment sinks below the pickup and as the water strainer is in the fuel line,doesn't that mean that any water in the strainer is above the pickup so there may be two or three inches of water still in the tank,depending on the distance of the pickup from the tank bottom.? It seems likely to me that ANY water in the strainer means that the tank needs pumping out.

In a previous life I was involved with aeroplanes,and they all had a spring loaded tap in the BOTTOM of the tank and draining some fuel to check for water was part of the pre-flight checks.

As the tank on most narrowboats is part of the structure,fitting such a tap would be impractical so the only way really I think is to suck out a few litres every year or so with a Pela type pump from the bottom of the tank.

Any one with more thoughts on this subject?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume that the crappy watery diesel would burn fine in an ebisplutter or indeed in a drip diesel stove. Given many have a special tank that might be a pragmatic solution. Certainly when we  were offered some ‘found’ red diesel in the 1980s thats what we did. Fortunatly only having a butty that year we were not tempted to run an engine on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Been giving the subject of contaminated fuel more thought in the light of all these posts.

 

As the fuel pickup pipe in the tank is above the tank bottom so that water/sediment sinks below the pickup and as the water strainer is in the fuel line,doesn't that mean that any water in the strainer is above the pickup so there may be two or three inches of water still in the tank,depending on the distance of the pickup from the tank bottom.? It seems likely to me that ANY water in the strainer means that the tank needs pumping out.

In a previous life I was involved with aeroplanes,and they all had a spring loaded tap in the BOTTOM of the tank and draining some fuel to check for water was part of the pre-flight checks.

As the tank on most narrowboats is part of the structure,fitting such a tap would be impractical so the only way really I think is to suck out a few litres every year or so with a Pela type pump from the bottom of the tank.

Any one with more thoughts on this subject?

 

Yes, from experience the pipe/hose joints one uses with a Pella type pump tend to block with hard bits of crud from the bottom of the tank (probably mill scale and welding debris from the fabrication). As long as its not a base plate tank I found a syphon a less blockable proposition. Definitely don't be tempted by an electric fuel transfer pump. Again from experience they tend to be metal vane type pumps and the aforementioned crud jambs them so they burn out PDQ.

 

If I had a base plate mounted tank I would cobble something with a (say) 3/8" or 1/2" hose and pipe onto a wet and dry vacuum cleaner. For diesel its perfectly safe - for petrol don't even think about doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jake_crew said:

In cold weather, don't ignore the possibilty of fuel waxing.

My sister used to do that on her legs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

PS…     I used the amazingly fine one and it took out cloudiness that I thought was water....

It could be, when an emulsion is created from two immiscible liquids [like oil and water], then the mixture  "becomes" "mayonnaise" or "salad dressing"

Imagine the water molecule is no longer one liquid sinking to the bottom of the tank, but the individual water molecules each grab hold of several hydrophilic molecules in the fuel treatment additive, they are held in suspension until the time you filter them , then these the big molecules are left behind while the diesel filters through the fine mesh filter.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

My sister used to do that on her legs 

! brothers ! 

 

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

Actually...they're a lot bigger than you realise....

 

Have you seen a femidon?

They are errr generous 

Edited by tree monkey
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LadyG said:

Look suspiciously like a home knitted "femdom"

Don't search for femdom in google images. It is not what I expected. I thought they might be some kind of fender sock.......they aint!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.