Traditonal speed control

Nati

Featured Posts

As you are in London, if you are near Brentford you could also try T Norris Engineering at Isleworth, They can make most things and advertise in Waterways World. They have never left me short yet. T Norris Ltd 6 Wood Lane Isleworth. TW75ER. Tel. 020 8560 3453.

Edited by Tonka
address

Years ago I steered a trad style boat with a speed wheel control based on a scissor jack. It worked well enough, save for an inordinate number of turns needed to alter the engine speed. When we put Resolute together, it took less than 3 turns on the handwheel to go from tick over to full ahead. Just a thought to bear in mind....

24 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Years ago I steered a trad style boat with a speed wheel control based on a scissor jack. It worked well enough, save for an inordinate number of turns needed to alter the engine speed. When we put Resolute together, it took less than 3 turns on the handwheel to go from tick over to full ahead. Just a thought to bear in mind....

That sort of problem is down to the length of lever arms used.  Nothing to do with the use of a scissor jack acme screw per se.

George

I made my own set up from scrap bits and pieces. The crown wheel and pinion were fron an old hand drill, acme thread from a broken G clamp and a socket set universal drive (snap on of course) ?

IMG_0340.JPG

19 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Jaguar just had a length of string wound around the shaft of the speed wheel to pull the throttle up.   It only broke once.

Did you have the "bacca" tin to jam "twixt" string & cabin beam to get the last rev out of  it Standard kit for the Armstrong Sidderley set up

57 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Did you have the "bacca" tin to jam "twixt" string & cabin beam to get the last rev out of  it Standard kit for the Armstrong Sidderley set up

No 'Bacca' tin.  The string broke when I was trying to wind on a bit more, crossing a weir.  Fortunately the missus was handy to jump into the engine 'ole and pull up the throttle.  I had campers on board just to add to the fun.  Engine was a Lister HA2.  It did have a Baked Bean tin to catch the fuel overflow.