Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Tonka

No more Fuller's beers

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Speaking (drinking?) personally I didn't miss Gales when Fullers swallowed them up and I wouldn't miss Fullers either.

But Dark Star, swallowed up by Fullers a while back, is another matter entirely.

I once spent a most enjoyable evening drinking HSB, after which I renamed it "High Speed Bitter".

Don't think I have ever tried Dark Star beer. It sounds hippyish.

7 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yeahbut.........

CAMRA seem to be stuck in a 1970s socks & sandals timewarp.

Speaking (drinking?) personally I didn't miss Gales when Fullers swallowed them up and I wouldn't miss Fullers either.

But Dark Star, swallowed up by Fullers a while back, is another matter entirely.

That was true upto last year when they went through a huge consultation stage and asked all the members what they should be concentrating on. 

Edited by Tonka
grammer
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

That was true upto last year when they went through a huge consultation stage and asked all the members what they should be concentrating on. 

Yes, and look what happened.

They turned their back on the new wave of next generation brewers.

(I'm begining to think consulting people about difficult decisions ain't such a good idea after all :unsure:)

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I once spent a most enjoyable evening drinking HSB, after which I renamed it "High Speed Bitter".

Don't think I have ever tried Dark Star beer. It sounds hippyish.

We used to call it Highly Suspect Bitter due to it's affects!

Dark start is also (was) very good since it's beginnings in a small North London brew shop. It has had a few homes including an industrial estate in Stourbridge where we had a memorable night on a canal holiday back in the 80's.

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

No!

Dark Stat started off in the cellar under the Evenig Star in Brighton and have always been Sussex bases.

Dark Stat may have but we were talking about Dark Start

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Dark Stat may have but we were talking about Dark Start

Don't start.:D

ESB sessions in the Fox, oh how I wish I could remember those days... 

My wife used to work behind the bar of the Mawson Arms, which is attached to the brewery. Many a night she would abandon her bicycle for a taxi instead. Nobody seemed to pay for anything and staff were encouraged to drink loads! 

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

TT’s Landlord (don’t like the new label though?) and Fuller’s London Pride ?

So, is the brewery going to shut down?

Lets hope it doesnt close. Landlord is awesome though as is their Ram Tam.

2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

I've corrected that for you.
Talk to some of the craft brewers about CAMRA's attitude to them.

'Craft' beer is now just a marketing term, and CAMRA is right to be wary of it.  The recent attempt to persuade CAMRA members to widen the organisation's remit to all types of beer was IMO rightly (if unexpectedly) rejected by the membership.    Of the multitude of 'Craft' brewers, the best will succeed without CAMRA's help.  They  should concentrate on their original purpose.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

No!

Dark Star started off in the cellar under the Evenig Star in Brighton and have always been Sussex based.

Dark Star entry in Quaffale

No so, Dark Star beer was first brewed by the Pitfield Brewery near Hoxton by a team including Rob Jones who is mentioned in your link. I knew both him and Martin Kemp at the time through my association with the South East London Branch of CAMRA.

Newspaper article :

https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/heritage/every-man-and-his-dog-is-setting-up-a-brewery-nowadays-how-hoxton-s-pitfield-was-a-trailblazer-when-it-launched-in-1980-1-5193480

Edited by Tim Lewis

38 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lets hope it doesnt close. Landlord is awesome though as is their Ram Tam.

I can do without Fuller's but the loss of Timothy Taylor or Frederic Robinson (or Adnams) would be catastrophic.  Luckily all three are strong and fiercely independent companies that remain largely family-owned.  

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I can do without Fuller's but the loss of Timothy Taylor or Frederic Robinson (or Adnams) would be catastrophic.  Luckily all three are strong and fiercely independent companies that remain largely family-owned.  

Agreed. I was in Dorset for a week earlier this month and found their Palmers ales very nice indeedy.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

CAMRA expressing the fervent hope that the Gale's ales brewed at Chiswick is a bit of a joke. Gale's was brewed by an independent company in Horndean, Hants., until Fuller's swallowed them in 2006.

HSB  (Horndean Special Bitter) was never the same after it moved from Horndean. 7 pints of HSB and you really had a good time. A rumour/urban myth is that the local water somehow reacted with the brewing process to produce a significant trace of LSD.

...............Dave

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's because co-called "craft" beer isn't necessarily real ale according to the well-established CAMRA definition. Like 'em or loathe 'em, if it weren't for CAMRA in the 1970s we would all be drinking lagerade by now.

Indeed, far too many "craft" beers taste like alcoholic grapefruit juice to me.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Agreed. I was in Dorset for a week earlier this month and found their Palmers ales very nice indeedy.

In the same postcode as Palmers but a few miles away is Hall & Woodhouse, or Wooden  whorehouse as we used to call it as kids. 

Tanglefoot is an acceptable ale but the rest is shite if you ask me, growing up so close to it made it quite hard to find anything else. 

Also, the fursty ferret they did was so strong in peach flavour to begin with we had to change the lines in the pub I used to work in to get ride of the taste. 

For me Timmy Taylor’s Landlord every time

(I think we might agree on something?)  

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, far too many "craft" beers taste like alcoholic grapefruit juice to me.

A lotof truth to that. It's like some of the craft ales try too hard to make a distinctive taste. Some result in truly horrible flavours.

I like Harvey's beers.

• Greenie 1

I spent my formative years drinking Fullers, normally London pride as ESB was too expensive (this is when good beer was less than 20p a pint), anyway having drunk Asahi beer both here and Japan, it is on a par with Bud lite.  So anybody that brews beer where the only difference between what you drink and what you expell (being polite) is the alcohol, then I don’t see a good future for Fullers beer.

Sad news indeed...........

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

I like Harvey's beers.

:clapping::D:clapping:

I've only just this moment read about Fullers being taken over. I'm ina decline? The day Adnams ( Broadside ) and  Hook Norton (Old Hookey) .............................................................................................................

Come up north lads, Frederick Robinsons is going strong, good ales, Old Tom too and some lovely real pubs. Many canal side, makes boating a pleasure.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, dmr said:

HSB  (Horndean Special Bitter) was never the same after it moved from Horndean. 7 pints of HSB and you really had a good time. A rumour/urban myth is that the local water somehow reacted with the brewing process to produce a significant trace of LSD.

...............Dave

My favourite Gales beer

B977583E-543D-41E3-8908-08D0363E00C8.jpeg.2b1c34b45f3d57914b85f2a3c627767a.jpeg

Craft beer does for ale what cod reggae did for music.

It's only benefit is to pubs unable to keep beer properly.

• Greenie 1

Will Fuller's Earth disappear too? If so how are we to remove the red dye from our diesel?  Oops, shouldn't say that.

Sign in to follow this