Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tonka

No more Fuller's beers

Featured Posts

Fuller's at Chiswick have sold their beers to a Japanese company for 250 M. What is the future of the brewery at Chiswick is at the moment undecided. They are going to keep Fullers Pubs and hotels.  Please find attached Camra statementcamra.png.f39b09b367c109bd6fb24b2a29c4a729.png

Chiswick brewery may well survive in the short term, but acres of land in west London must be a temptation for redevelopment, with the brewing transferred elsewhere, as happened to Youngs.

CAMRA expressing the fervent hope that the Gale's ales brewed at Chiswick is a bit of a joke. Gale's was brewed by an independent company in Horndean, Hants., until Fuller's swallowed them in 2006.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

CAMRA expressing the fervent hope that the Gale's ales brewed at Chiswick is a bit of a joke. Gale's was brewed by an independent company in Horndean, Hants., until Fuller's swallowed them in 2006.

If they were swallowed in 2006 are they recycled through the body

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

If they were swallowed in 2006 are they recycled through the body

No, that was Watney's.

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Chiswick brewery may well survive in the short term, but acres of land in west London must be a temptation for redevelopment, with the brewing transferred elsewhere, as happened to Youngs.

More than a temptation. John Young was adamant (before he died) that Youngs would continue brewing in Wandsworth, but after he snuffed it the massive sum offered for the brewery site was just too tempting and it was sold for flats/office developements.

The Fullers Chiswick site is even bigger, and given the prices of housing round there down near the river must be worth an absolute fortune -- residential land around there is probably at least 10k/m2 (6k/m2 average in Hammersmith and Fulham) and I reckon the site is about 150m x 150m, which makes the site worth north of 200 million if they build flats or houses on it.

Which is getting on for as much as Asahi paid for Fullers. Go on, now convince me it'll stay as a brewery...

the good news of course is that it is only Fullers!! Were it a decent brew such as Taylors Landlord that was threatened then that WOULD be a major problem. However Taylors isnt brewed in London with its ludicrous property prices so may never be affected by such a take over ?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Horror 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

the good news of course is that it is only Fullers!! Were it a decent brew such as Taylors Landlord that was threatened then that WOULD be a major problem. However Taylors isnt brewed in London with its ludicrous property prices so may never be affected by such a take over ?

Never say Never. Theakstons is up north and they got bought out. I know it is back in the families hand now

One positive about the takeover is that Japanese ownership (Suntory) has done a certain Scotch Whisky distillery (Bowmore) no harm at all, quite the reverse.

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, that was Watney's.

Old joke about  Watneys: what has drinking Red Barrel got to do with making love in a punt? Both are ***king close to water. :)

Having grown up living next door to Dick Gale and his family, I am still in mourning for the Horndean brewery. Winter ale, properly mulled, was heavenly, and Prize Old In corked bottles was the best English beer I have ever drunk. I still have two bottles of it.

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

One positive about the takeover is that Japanese ownership (Suntory) has done a certain Scotch Whisky distillery (Bowmore) no harm at all, quite the reverse.

We are working our ay through a bottle of Bowmore Legend at the moment. Well, in the evenings really.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

We are working our ay through a bottle of Bowmore Legend 

How very Scottish.

4 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

We are working our ay through a bottle of Bowmore Legend at the moment. Well, in the evenings really.

Evenings plural? What is taking you so long, don't you like it?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Evenings plural? What is taking you so long, don't you like it?

Well since in theory it doesn’t exist any more, we are eking it out. Can’t find it listed on the Bowmore website,  but our local Intermarché sells it.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I've corrected that for you.
Talk to some of the craft brewers about CAMRA's attitude to them.

3 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I am not sure that "corrected" is the word which I would use: "mutilated" might fit the bill. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

You been at the ale again?

27 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Well since in theory it doesn’t exist any more, we are eking it out. Can’t find it listed on the Bowmore website,  but our local Intermarché sells it.

It's a relatively young expression (I had a bottle last year) so if it can't be found there will be plenty of similar lightly peated drams from School Street appearing before very long.

You probably have more chance of seeing them in Intermarché than I have in my local Morrisons!

31 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Agreed. CAMRA lost the plot ages ago.

There has never been a better time for beer drinkers than the present.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

That's because co-called "craft" beer isn't necessarily real ale according to the well-established CAMRA definition. Like 'em or loathe 'em, if it weren't for CAMRA in the 1970s we would all be drinking lagerade by now.

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's a relatively young expression (I had a bottle last year) so if it can't be found there will be plenty of similar lightly peated drams from School Street appearing before very long.

You probably have more chance of seeing them in Intermarché than I have in my local Morrisons!

Just as weirdly, you have more chance of finding decent cheap brandy in Morrisons than we do in supermarkets here. We have in the past imported brandy from the UK as it’s cheaper than in the shops here. Basically, the French export their brandy, like the scots do with their whisky, I think.

Just now, Stilllearning said:

Basically, the French export their brandy

Yes, but they keep the good stuff (Armagnac) for themselves!

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

My 2 favourite beers?

What about the staff??

Edited by jenevers

8 minutes ago, jenevers said:

My 2 favourite beers?

What about the staff??

What are your two fave beers Taylors and Fullers? Staff will find other work as we all have over the years when jobs have been lost for various reasons. I doubt they will stop brewing anyway?

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What are your two fave beers Taylors and Fullers? Staff will find other work as we all have over the years when jobs have been lost for various reasons. I doubt they will stop brewing anyway?

TT’s Landlord (don’t like the new label though?) and Fuller’s London Pride ?

So, is the brewery going to shut down?

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's because co-called "craft" beer isn't necessarily real ale according to the well-established CAMRA definition. Like 'em or loathe 'em, if it weren't for CAMRA in the 1970s we would all be drinking lagerade by now.

Yeahbut.........

CAMRA seem to be stuck in a 1970s socks & sandals timewarp.

Speaking (drinking?) personally I didn't miss Gales when Fullers swallowed them up and I wouldn't miss Fullers either.

But Dark Star, swallowed up by Fullers a while back, is another matter entirely.