Overtightened packing gland

Featured Posts

Try undoing the packing gland nuts completely, slide the gland fully forwards out of the way, then with a nice pointy tool with a hooked end, pull out the packing, and then put it back in. Unless you have new packing, in which case replace with the new. Then gently retighten the gland till it is just holding on the packing, and turn down the greaser till no more water drips into the bilge.

Next time you go boating you will need to retighten the gland not long after moving off, and again when stopping. Again, each time don’t over tighten.

3 hours ago, DrunkenDonkey said:

Thank you all for your help guys.

UPDATE - Success!!

Backed the nuts off about a turn, ran in gear fore and aft for a few minutes, then left it in fore for about 15 minutes on low revs. Started seeing a dribble, then a bit more than a dribble! Turned the engine off, flooded the gland with grease then tightened back up (much slower this time) until it just stopped dripping.

I'm amazed that it seems to be almost perfect now. I don't get a drip when the engine is off. I get a drip about every 30-40 seconds when in gear and the housing is staying cool when in use.

Thanks again, this forum and the contributors have been so helpful to me, even when not actually posting myself.

Excellent -

That's how it's supposed to work - you have to suffer - indeed - it's part of the process - the regular drips and find alternatives to deal with the resulting water.  If the bilge under the gland is big enough put a container underneath it and work out a routine for emptying it before it overflows.

There's norra lot of fit and forget that truly applies to boating. It's a hands on hobby lifestyle....