Waterways World.

nebulae

Featured Posts

Strange how they have little intrinsic value. I have hundreds of old 70 and 80s magazines from another hobby including a 100% run of one defunt mag.

I could not find anyone vaguely interested other than "we will pulp them".

Fast forward a few years now because of rarity I seem same ones being sold on Ebay so value / desirability depends upon age in some respects.

I'm glad I never chucked them as every now and again they get perused. Mind you we have no storage issues.

I'm not surprised WW doesn't generate much interest.  I stopped subscribing years ago.  Mind you, I can't bring myself to chuck out my copies going back thirty odd years.

There are two magazines which I believe will have an enduring appeal and will be sought after in the future. 

One is the Kelvin Magazine (later renamed the Kelvin Register) edited by Kevin Whittle.  The magazines are packed with information about the maintenance and hstory of Kelvins.

The other is the incomparable Historic Narrow Boat Club magazine edited by Val Roberts.  Each edition is full of fascinating articles and pictures never seen elsewhere.  Definitely collectors' items.

47 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Via a friend, I gave all of mine, dating from the early 80s, to a local canal trust for their clubhouse. They ended up in a skip. Ah well....

Mind you the more they are skipped the rarer and more sought after they become - that's even becoming true of the good ole BL Allegro!

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Mind you the more they are skipped the rarer and more sought after they become - that's even becoming true of the good ole BL Allegro!

Er it was a skip.  I have been on boats that were more stable and steered better ? 

I now subscribe to Readly the online app for magazines.  I think its great but I do prefer the paper version of magazines probably because its a tactile thing.

• Happy 1

58 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It would be a rare thing indeed a good Allegro.  Do you have the only good one they ever made?

Did they ever make a good one - never owned one, my worst experience was a BL Marina Estate (company car) in "mustard yellow" what a death trap even when brand new!

40 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Did they ever make a good one - never owned one, my worst experience was a BL Marina Estate (company car) in "mustard yellow" what a death trap even when brand new!

My mum used to drive a clapped out marina (brown which hid the rust) which ended up being stolen and burnt out in the middle of boddington cricket pitch.

She was upset when it was stolen as it had been fitted with a brand new tyre the day before and the tyre was worth more than the rest of the car

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, dave moore said:

Via a friend, I gave all of mine, dating from the early 80s, to a local canal trust for their clubhouse. They ended up in a skip. Ah well....

WRG used to collect canal magazines for re-sale but gave up years ago as the supply by far exceeded the demand ?