Steel Stove recommendations

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If he tweaked it a bit, I'd buy one.  I'm sure lots of others would too. 

But he’s already selling them as fast as he can make them, so where’s the incentive?

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Does this really need explaining?

It would appear so. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Clearly as the question was asked. ?

Phil

You said there's nothing in it for him.

Most orders = more staff = scaling up production = division of labour = more money for him for either doing less work, or concentrating on the aspect of the business he likes doing most.

He doesn't have to do this of course, but there you go.

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Most orders = more staff = scaling up production = division of labour = more money for him for either doing less work, or concentrating on the aspect of the business he likes doing most.

Perhaps this prospect would be abhorrent to him as he’s already concentrating on the aspect of the business he likes doing most - making stoves. 

The Boatman is a small basic low cost steel stove for people who want a small basic low cost steel stove, and lots of people do. Making a steel replica of a Squirrel is something completely different. I suspect Eddie is more or less a one man band, making a living and keeping busy. Expending and taking on staff might make him rich, but more likely will make him stressed and one day bankrupt, plus the guilt of laying of staff when there is a downturn.

Metalwork is more fun than management!

..............Dave

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

You said there's nothing in it for him.

He doesn't have to do this of course, but there you go.

No comment as others have adequately explained why he chooses to continue in the way he is happy with, I'm sure he has considered options and arrived at the answer he feels is best for him.

Phil

12 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

No comment as others have adequately explained why he chooses to continue in the way he is happy with, I'm sure he has considered options and arrived at the answer he feels is best for him.

Phil

I quite agree, but to say there's nothing in it for him isn't true.

32 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There you go again, assuming things on others' behalfs.

And there you go again expecting him to accept your business model just so you can get the stove you want with all your boxes ticked. With respect why not accept that on this occasion you are not going to get what you want. (I rarely do)

Phil

"̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶i̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶J̶e̶h̶o̶v̶a̶h̶.̶”̶  

all I said was "I don't know what that would cost, but suspect if someone like Eddie from Northern fabrications could be persuaded to produce such a beast,they would fly off the shelf"

35 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

And there you go again expecting him to accept your business model just so you can get the stove you want with all your boxes ticked. With respect why not accept that on this occasion you are not going to get what you want. (I rarely do)

Phil

I'm not expecting anything.  I'm simply pointing out the available choices.  If I actually thought he might want to adopt my business model, I'd be contacting him directly rather than posting on here.  It's you who seem to think you can psychically see into another's mind.  I have no such delusions.

The chances are, you're right in your assumptions, I'm just pointing out that you may not be.  Other possibilities exist.

34 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

"̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶i̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶J̶e̶h̶o̶v̶a̶h̶.̶”̶  

all I said was "I don't know what that would cost, but suspect if someone like Eddie from Northern fabrications could be persuaded to produce such a beast,they would fly off the shelf"

You sure did.  And I agreed with you.  Then someone else came along and said he didn't want to because there was nothing in it for him.  This was assumption stated as fact.  I pointed this out and it led to an argument. 

Opinions vary and they can be wrong or right or somewhere inbetween.  That is all.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm not expecting anything.  I'm simply pointing out the available choices.  If I actually thought he might want to adopt my business model, I'd be contacting him directly rather than posting on here.  It's you who seem to think you can psychically see into another's mind.  I have no such delusions.

The chances are, you're right in your assumptions, I'm just pointing out that you may not be.  Other possibilities exist.

I don't claim to see into his mind, that is why I used expressions such as "maybe" and " I guess" whatever his reasons are there is no point banging on about it here, nothing will change unless he sees fit to change it 

Phil

27 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You sure did.  And I agreed with you.  Then someone else came along and said he didn't want to because there was nothing in it for him.  This was assumption stated as fact.  I pointed this out and it led to an argument. 

I agree with you. 

Some people like arguments.

3 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

and FWIW, a suppliers take on Steel v Cast Iron:

https://www.stoveworlduk.co.uk/steel-stoves-vs-cast-iron-stoves

A comparison between steel and cast iron stoves on a boat would be more pertinent. Dunno if such a thing exists though.

51 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I agree with you. 

Some people like arguments.

A comparison between steel and cast iron stoves on a boat would be more pertinent. Dunno if such a thing exists though.

I have a love/hate relationship with arguments.

4 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Merely an observation DTE  but I was under the impression that an argument involved 2 or more people,  shame you and Rusty seem to think an argument is a one sided affair . I thought we were having a discussion but hey ho there you go.

Phil 

Oh no, I was trying to argue, I'm just not very good at it!

• Haha 1

One thing has just occurred to me is the request for a separate ash pan access door.

The danger of these is that they can be left open with the main door closed.  This opens a HUGE access for air and the danger of over firing.  I fiend of mine did that and set his chimmley on fire (house not nb)

N

6 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Maybe because he is working flat out making and selling Boatman stoves he doesn't need to make "upgraded" stoves, nothing in it for him.

Phil

Exactly this^^^^^^ clearly his customers are happy with the design,price and product so why change it? I know I am happy with ours and it works well virtual Greenie Phil