Boat builder

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Adamwalker64 said:

Has anyone ever heard of a builder called John rickerby 

sny info would be great 

thanks 

He has built a few boats.

There are 4 records that match your query

Brocky Built by John Rickerby - Length : 21.031 metres ( 69 feet ) - Beam : 2.083 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 518534 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Reliance Built by John Rickerby in 1990 - Length : 18.8 metres ( 61 feet 8 inches ) - Beam : 1.9 metres ( 6 feet 3 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Diesel engine with a power of 18 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number C007172 as a Non Hire Annual Private Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Friday 20th April 2012 )

Reliance Built by John Rickerby - Length : 18.91 metres ( 62 feet ) - Beam : 2.09 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 20 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 53627 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 11th July 2007 )

Rainbow Gypsy Built by John Rickerby Constr - Length : 18.898 metres ( 62 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 15 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 52616 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He has built a few boats.

There are 4 records that match your query

Brocky Built by John Rickerby - Length : 21.031 metres ( 69 feet ) - Beam : 2.083 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 518534 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Reliance Built by John Rickerby in 1990 - Length : 18.8 metres ( 61 feet 8 inches ) - Beam : 1.9 metres ( 6 feet 3 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Diesel engine with a power of 18 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number C007172 as a Non Hire Annual Private Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Friday 20th April 2012 )

Reliance Built by John Rickerby - Length : 18.91 metres ( 62 feet ) - Beam : 2.09 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 20 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 53627 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 11th July 2007 )

Rainbow Gypsy Built by John Rickerby Constr - Length : 18.898 metres ( 62 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 15 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 52616 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

It looks like the middle two are the same boat, and t got moved from BW to EA waters around about 2007.  (And had 7 inches taken from its width, apparently!)

16 minutes ago, Adamwalker64 said:

Thanks for that any idea where he was based 

does he still build 

was he any good ?

Unlikely he still builds, if he was active around 1990, and only about 3 boats listed as his.

What is never obvious in cases like this, (assuming the name isn't recognised), is whether it is a shell builder being listed, or the person who fitted out someone else's shell.  (Either is possible).

With such a small sample, I suspect you will probably not find anybody who knows much about his boats.

9 minutes ago, Adamwalker64 said:

Found a paragraph saying that the boat was built by les Allen does that normally mean that the boat would have been finished by John rickerby

Is this normal practice 

Now, the late Les Allen IS a well-known name, and a highly respected one. He built many boats at Oldbury in the Black Country, I'm not sure if he fitted them out too, perhaps J. Rickerby's trade was as a boatfitter and he put the insides into a Les Allen shell. Is this a boat which you're thinking of buying? 

14 minutes ago, Adamwalker64 said:

Found a paragraph saying that the boat was built by les Allen does that normally mean that the boat would have been finished by John rickerby

Is this normal practice 

Yes it is very common for the fitter outer to be named as the boat builder.

Les Allen was a top hull builder, who built and repaired some of the last of the working boats and continued building into the leisure era. I think he stopped building hulls around 1989/90.

Edited by cuthound
Cross posted with Athy

That’s what comes up when I googled the boat so probably right then that’s good news old boat and a bit rough around the edges but if was a good builder then probably worth the effort to put it right then thanks for your input made things a lot clearer 

Yes I’m buying the boat 

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Now, the late Les Allen IS a well-known name, and a highly respected one. He built many boats at Oldbury in the Black Country, I'm not sure if he fitted them out too, perhaps J. Rickerby's trade was as a boatfitter and he put the insides into a Les Allen shell. Is this a boat which you're thinking of buying? 

Yea iam

been neglected a little and gonna need some work but really nice looking hull and if mr Allen was held in high regard then probably be worth the effort thanks for your input really appreciated 

Alternative spelling is John Rickaby :)

Builder of among others a couple of pretty nice replica MSC bridgewater tugs. 

Quality stuff. 

"John rickaby narrow boat" finds a previous thread on this forum about MSC Frodsham. 

Edited by magnetman

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you only rate Les Allen boats as first division, I would be fascinated to know who you rate as the Premier League!

I noted that, but assumed that he was using the term in its traditional sense: for many years, the First Division was the elite level of soccer.

7 hours ago, mark99 said:

Funny interpretation. His hulls are top division.

See post 16.

Despite the changes in soccer nomenclature, the phrase "first division" is still used to mean "top quality".

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I note that your 'gender' has changed during you absence - have you been in hospital for the last few weeks :

Bob - was he in Blackadder ?

Image result for black adder BOB

I got tired of the constant mansplaining, so have had another OP. I am now a know it all again. 

Edited by rusty69

• 9 months later...

John Rickaby, built MSC Frodsham 62ft,  Stretford( Brocky) 68ft ?,  Ashworth ( working boat) 70ft,  Reliance 40ft (butty, converted it  to a 62ft motor,  Rainbow Gypsy 60ft?,  Pipsqueak 40ft,  Minuet 35ft,  Liberty 20ft,   Icicle 32ft( Roama 2),  Roama 3 30ft6ins,  Liberty ,extended twice (Big  Roama)40ft - 53ft-65ft).