Tug with a N Hingley signwriting scheme

Movin' on

Featured Posts

Some years back the subject of the "Ram on "Tyco' was being discussed & the outcome of collission the guy steering it quiped "yo'll be alright its a "denter not aoler"

Edited by X Alan W
  • Greenie 2

20 hours ago, Athy said:

Mel builds handsome boats and it's a pity that some of his customers specify lots of washers rivets. When we were planning the building of 'Trojan' with him, they were a definite no-no. I think he was probably relieved: applying them can't be the most rewarding part of creating a boat.

Returning to this subject.. In my opinion they can look ok if applied in the right places, at the right size to something that is being built as a replica. If you’re paying a fortune for your new hull to a boat builder who knows what he’s doing then why not?  Old steel boats have rivets so it’s what you expect to see.

If however a fabricator has found a few penny washers and needs to finish off a roll of mig wire it’s not going to add much to the end product.

I’ll get my coat, preparing for flak, etc etc. 

0E260CE7-9707-46FC-8A44-4D69AA385B06.jpeg

1BAEE110-FDF5-45D4-B7BC-952FEFE67390.jpeg

6CEF4B5F-56E5-4A48-888D-BEB2825530BC.jpeg

6 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Returning to this subject.. In my opinion they can look ok if applied in the right places, at the right size to something that is being built as a replica. If you’re paying a fortune for your new hull to a boat builder who knows what he’s doing then why not?  Old steel boats have rivets so it’s what you expect to see.

If however a fabricator has found a few penny washers and needs to finish off a roll of mig wire it’s not going to add much to the end product.

No flak from this direction: I have no objection to other people having them, I just don't want any myself.

That said, if I was in the market for a second-hand boat and a really tasty one came up which happened to have these "rivets", it probably wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

18 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I agree the top and bottom one are pretty good examples of the genre.

I'm not sure if you are implying the middle one is also, or are putting it in as a contrast?  Although not that many "rivets" seem to be visible, those it does sport seem far less convincing to me, and frankly not in a place a genuine working boat might have had them.

I would arge that most fake rivets applied by Steve Hudson, Mel Davies, Barry Hawkins &  R W Davis etc are not as convincing as those shown on your first and last examples.  I can live with them if done convincingly, (e.g. Brinklow Boat Services, Roger Fuller,etc).

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Thanks not seen her before - who built her

Don’t quote me on this but I seem to remember her owner telling me that she was built by an academic type rather than a boat builder. A college lecturer maybe, as a technical project. Can’t be more precise as it was after a long evening in the Steamboat. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

The middle photo clearly shows the fake rivets are in the wrong place. They have been put where the top cants join the foredeck.

I've seen a few where the 'rivets' are positioned completely in the cants (which would have been wooden on a genuine riveted boat)!

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I've seen a few where the 'rivets' are positioned completely in the cants (which would have been wooden on a genuine riveted boat)!

Yes this is very common indeed.

Sometimes the only fake rivets added are to bits that would have been wood not metal on the genuine article.

Each to their own.

On some of the Brinklow "remakes" they go to some effort to fake nail heads where steel has been used on rear decks to simulate planked boards - they are most convincing.  Now that's class!

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes this is very common indeed.

Sometimes the only fake rivets added are to bits that would have been wood not metal on the genuine article.

Each to their own.

On some of the Brinklow "remakes" they go to some effort to fake nail heads where steel has been used on rear decks to simulate planked boards - they are most convincing.  Now that's class!

Old Friends hasn't any fake rivets however, has some of the fake nail heads Alan mentions on the front and rear cants.