Using my boat for Glamping...sited on dry land

Emz

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I think it needs to go in it's own 'pond', there's something unnatural being inside a boat when it's out of water, or stuck firmly in ice. It just doesn't 'feel' right. 

But that's only an issue if those staying are used to boats.

can't see the attraction.   I mean, if you want to create an interesting glamping experience with a nautical flavour, either find a derelict wooden fishing boat, or an old traditional narrowboat, preferably wooden, and fit it out authentically. .....  there's nothing authentic about a Springer I'm afraid, it has no more charm than a Portakabin.

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

can't see the attraction.   I mean, if you want to create an interesting glamping experience with a nautical flavour, either find a derelict wooden fishing boat, or an old traditional narrowboat, preferably wooden, and fit it out authentically. .....  there's nothing authentic about a Springer I'm afraid, it has no more charm than a Portakabin.

But the OP loves the Springer and just needs some advice and encouragement to convert it. 

13 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

So you won't stay in it then, it's a good job everyone likes different things.

Tbh I wouldn't stay in it by choice but I have a boat, nicely fitted out I can see the attraction to others

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

There's a forum member who loves his caravan: should he site it in the canal?  :icecream:

I have seen worse and a friend lived in a 22 foot caravan on floats

6 hours ago, Athy said:

One problem might be that, being a Springer, it will have a V rather than a flat bottom and would thus need shoring up with railway sleepers or similar to prevent it from toppling over.

A slight grove in the ground

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But unless you want to climb up and down ladders/steps each time you get on or off or you cut a hole in the hull you will need some kind of hole to drop it into so the hole profile could take care of the V bottom.

The school in Rugeley has a boat as a classroom with steps up. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-25742419/staffordshire-school-to-store-books-on-narrowboat

• Love 2

Some encouraging words and a few that have made me really laugh. Some very witty folks about. I agree it's not for everyone but I wouldn't expect it to be. We have a train carriage we are converting into accommodation. It's looking rather beautiful. I will dig a trench and put a gravel base down for some drainage. It will need to be wedged in. Still working on that. I have it wedged with wood and tires at the minute. Today, I have arranged for a waterways engineer (think that's his title?) to come over and give me some advice. Yes it will cost for his time but at least I will know what needs to be done next and what can be achieved. 

Wow! The boat at the school is great. Love it!

4 hours ago, Winn said:

But the OP loves the Springer and just needs some advice and encouragement to convert it. 

Thanks for the encouraging words. And the portakabin reference is funny. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Emz said:

Some encouraging words and a few that have made me really laugh. Some very witty folks about. I agree it's not for everyone but I wouldn't expect it to be. We have a train carriage we are converting into accommodation. It's looking rather beautiful. I will dig a trench and put a gravel base down for some drainage. It will need to be wedged in. Still working on that. I have it wedged with wood and tires at the minute. Today, I have arranged for a waterways engineer (think that's his title?) to come over and give me some advice. Yes it will cost for his time but at least I will know what needs to be done next and what can be achieved. 

You don't need a "waterways engineer" whatever that is, just go look at a few hire and private boats, and fit it out how you fancy, I am sure your railway carriage is not full of seats.

50 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Oh that line of chidren! Don't you just want to know what the guy in the red jacket said to Miss Pigtails! ...and that little girl in the spotted cerise scarf will own a narrowboat one day. ...an absolute gem! ... and then the little guy in the blue jacket, hands in pockets, seen it all before!   "aint impressing me chum!" 

Love it! 

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You don't need a "waterways engineer" whatever that is, just go look at a few hire and private boats, and fit it out how you fancy, I am sure your railway carriage is not full of seats.

Is it past your bedtime? Getting a bit grumpy...

I am having the engineer to advise me on electrics, water and general know how as the boat stands as it is. My knowledge is very basic on narrowboat and I am  simply needing to understand more. I know how it will look inside that's the easy part. No the carriage doesn't have seats. It will have vintage and antique furniture and fittings.  

28 minutes ago, Emz said:

Is it past your bedtime? Getting a bit grumpy...

I am having the engineer to advise me on electrics, water and general know how as the boat stands as it is. My knowledge is very basic on narrowboat and I am  simply needing to understand more. I know how it will look inside that's the easy part. No the carriage doesn't have seats. It will have vintage and antique furniture and fittings.  

That's my point, you didn't get a rail engineer to do the carriage, You wont be running the boat engine to charge your batteries surly or moving the boat to a waterpoint to fill the tank with water so why are you worried about any of the boats bits and pieces. Fit it out as a glamping experience and remember I am one of the few who supported your idea on here

13 hours ago, Emz said:

Would it not be better to support the hull  above ground and build a timber deck around ir with steps up for access?

Putting it in the ground may encourage corrosion , particularly around the line of the ground surface.

I am fairly sure you could get a water hook up sorted if you are already doing so for your other project. And shore power should be easy , perhaps even retaining the 12 volt system.

The main issue will be disposal of waste water and I am guessing the toilet arrangements will be the biggest job.

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's my point, you didn't get a rail engineer to do the carriage, You wont be running the boat engine to charge your batteries surly or moving the boat to a waterpoint to fill the tank with water so why are you worried about any of the boats bits and pieces. Fit it out as a glamping experience and remember I am one of the few who supported your idea on here

I agree with this. Beyond the look, you can all but forget about the boat part.

32 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Would it not be better to support the hull  above ground and build a timber deck around ir with steps up for access?

Putting it in the ground may encourage corrosion , particularly around the line of the ground surface.

I am fairly sure you could get a water hook up sorted if you are already doing so for your other project. And shore power should be easy , perhaps even retaining the 12 volt system.

The main issue will be disposal of waste water and I am guessing the toilet arrangements will be the biggest job.

This too, although I'd be inclined to dig a hole for it to sit in to normal water level, so your guests could step on and off as they would if it was afloat.  Woodwork around her, ladders, etc, would spoil the aesthetic and marr the pseudo boaty experience.  Gravel will keep her stable and the ground around her free draining plus look a bit like she's sitting in her own pond.  Strategically placed plastic ducks would be fun and add to that look (Dr Bob might be able to help with this).  As for corrosion, this isn't a long term floating restoration project where hull integrity is key, so a good coating of bitumen should give you all the longevity you need.