Meters Good, bad, and ugly.

Bod

Featured Posts

There have been many topics, that require an electrical meter to obtain reading that can help solve the problems.

Here I am putting up photos of meters I have, hopefully to show the differences, to enable a useful one to be obtained.

SAM_0001.JPG.b7000717beb4145af3b854eb4a61b0e7.JPG

Probably the best type.  This does volts, amps, and ohms.  The clamp at the top reads DC amps.  Many cheaper types do not, and for boating purposes are not good.

SAM_0003.JPG.c417eca10db6cda5d4c8c9715ee08bdc.JPG

A more general type, useful for volts and ohms, less useful for amps.  This is shown set up for measuring volts, to a max of 20 volts DC.

SAM_0004.JPG.ec2bf0c5c741d6db43268c89635518d7.JPG

A more expensive version. Again set to read volts DC.

SAM_0006.JPG.7fc6085ffc906f3fc152c3c87c9e71ed.JPG

Almost useless type, no accurate reading can be done.

SAM_0007.JPG.23418e21c0af82590601d39a34282d04.JPGSAM_0009.JPG.c7b33d93ef5ef2a0c7f1cc6aa802bd30.JPG

Bulb and wire. Can be useful, if no meter is available. Give a yes/no answer to "Do I have power here?"

SAM_0005.JPG.763ad325ebb0a6aea19c2b345ab61207.JPG

SAM_0010.JPG.c7313b4a3bd77cde7408c30b7ca4db72.JPG

"AVO" types need knowledge to set up correctly, and need careful reading.

The "Windsor" is looking for a new home, which will give it care and attention, to fix it's ills. (some parts appear not to be working)

Yes the sharp eyed will have spotted the last one was made in  the USSR in 1971!

Hope this has shown some of the differences in meter types.

Bod

• Greenie 4

yes, some of my own meter's are fluke they are used daily and also calibrated annually.

Safe isolation equipment and earth leakage tester I use Martindale. 

I also some Kewtech and megger testers

Different tester for different applications. 

Edited by Keith M

13 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

dissapointed about the lack of Avo 8

I run the AVO M5091, It's the only meter I have known to survive accidentally testing the resistance of the national grid

So what WAS the resistance of the national grid? ;)

24 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

dissapointed about the lack of Avo 8

I run the AVO M5091, It's the only meter I have known to survive accidentally testing the resistance of the national grid

Many moons ago, my work gave me the very first digital AVO. It had piano keys to select function and range and a red digital display.

One day my boss "borrowed" it to measure the voltage across the busbars of a 75,000 amp hour battery system.

Trouble was he set the meter to amps on the  x 0.001 range.

It never worked again, even the glass of the online fuse designed to protect against over current had melted! ?

You've missed one out, an insulation meter known generically as a Megga.

Although only a DIYer I've got several meters of the types you have shown dotted about the boat and at home. All have their uses. However, my sub £30 Chinese insulation tester really earned it's keep last summer. It allowed me to prove categorically the boats 230 ac was blameless when the supply RCD kept tripping. Not claiming for one second that the readings were accurate but they were indicative.        

3 hours ago, Keith M said:

yes, some of my own meter's are fluke they are used daily and also calibrated annually.

Safe isolation equipment and earth leakage tester I use Martindale. 

I also some Kewtech and megger testers

Different tester for different applications. 

Those are names from a past life, I spent a few years running about 5 arb utility teams but as part of the deal I was given 2 lines teams.

It was a serious learning curve and tbh I thought they were taking the piss when I was asked for a megger, although it was a request for a set of insulated podgers that broke me :)