Pawls

jenevers

Featured Posts

The short strip of metal on a (usually broken) chain, used to jamb the rack and pinion is sorely missed.  There are a few examples remaining including, I think, on the Rochdale Nine.

Its replacement, when lost, was often the Greasy Stone that could be found close by.  If you place it in the pinion correctly, it will conveniently fall out on raising the paddle a half-turn before lowering it. 

My advice to new crew is never to let go of the windlass, even if it slips or a cog jumps or it gets stuck, or whatever. Just hold on. Don't rely on the pawl. That deals with the risk of the windlass spinning round and coming off and clouting you (or even worse ending up in the cut).

Then once the paddle is up, check the pawl (or whatever) is engaged, and then remove the windlass, using both hands.

There are now some designs where you cannot disengage the pawl while winding up anyway (and I would say it is dangerous to hold the pawl off with one hand and wind up with the other).  

7 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

My advice to new crew is never to let go of the windlass, even if it slips or a cog jumps or it gets stuck, or whatever. Just hold on. Don't rely on the pawl. That deals with the risk of the windlass spinning round and coming off and clouting you (or even worse ending up in the cut).

Then once the paddle is up, check the pawl (or whatever) is engaged, and then remove the windlass, using both hands.

There are now some designs where you cannot disengage the pawl while winding up anyway (and I would say it is dangerous to hold the pawl off with one hand and wind up with the other).  

Exactly. I tell crew and learners I meet that the windlass should never leave their hand when winding up or down and when off the spindle. Safer to engage the pawl once you have stopped winding and ensure it is sound, otherwise keep the hand away from it.

23 hours ago, bizzard said:

An angle grinder would be too high geared with little torque. A very low geared drill would probably work

I was thinking cut it off rather than drill it out...

...but I think that I might have missed Bizzard's point.?

5 minutes ago, Theo said:

I was thinking cut it off rather than drill it out...

...but I think that I might have missed Bizzard's point.?

Sorry Theo, I thought you meant using an angle grinder to wind paddles up, not to cut the prg things off.

Just now, bizzard said:

Sorry Theo, I thought you meant using an angle grinder to wind paddles up, not to cut the prg things off.

Sright.  Since CRT want them cut off I am sure that we could assist.

N