Gas pigtail outlet sizes?

jetzi

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

and have a spanner free changeover when the gas runs out at a highly inconvenient time, (which for us seems to be every time the gas runs out!).

It is amazing what percentage of the time the gas runs out when you are actually using it - middle of boiling the kettle, Sunday Roast etc.

Strangely enough I find the same with my stapler - stapling away doing jobs and then 'click' and no staple. Never runs out when I'm not using it !!!!

• Greenie 1

On 25/01/2019 at 08:12, ivan&alice said:

Looking at the pic again, and I think it's quite possible that the T piece that the regulator is attached to is a standard 20mm fitting! I will try disassemble this and see if it fits a W20 pigtail. If I could just remove the T piece and connect the pigtail hose directly to the regulator, that would be very straightforward.

Yes but even if you are right, what is securing the whole lot to the bulkhead is that bracket bolted to the T piece I think.  I doubt the regulator has it's own attachment.

You can't just leave the regulator hanging off the coper pipe, and then have a pigtail hanging off it towards the "in use" cyclinder.

The regulator looks old enough that if you are disturbing things it would be wise to replace it.

I don't necessairily  agree with the advice that it will have a date on it, although it may have.  I have replaced at least 3 over the years, and none has had an identifiable date on, I believe.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is amazing what percentage of the time the gas runs out when you are actually using it - middle of boiling the kettle, Sunday Roast etc.

Strangely enough I find the same with my stapler - stapling away doing jobs and then 'click' and no staple. Never runs out when I'm not using it !!!!

Yes, but if like us, when boating the fridge is running on gas, then we are using it 24 x 7, so the time at which it runs out can be 3:00 in the morning.

On 22/01/2019 at 19:48, ivan&alice said:

I need a POL (left hand male) connector to attach to my red propane gas bottles. I don't know where I got confused thinking that red = butane.

The outlet side of my current pigtail that screws onto my regulator has a 14mm nut

Getting back to the OP's original question I believe the "14 mm" end is in fact a 1/4 inch "standpipe" end (verify by measuring the pipe) in which case bes.co.uk list this and other lengths supplied with nut and olive.

Hope this is helpful.

propane-pigtail-hose-assembly-20in-pol-x

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, but if like us, when boating the fridge is running on gas, then we are using it 24 x 7, so the time at which it runs out can be 3:00 in the morning.

But unlike being in the middle of cooking a joint of beef, your fridge will not come to any harm leaving it a couple or 3 hours and replacing the cylinder 'at your leisure'.

Another question may be "how do you know it ran out at 3:00am"

I would only notice that there was no gas when I tried to light the hob to boil the kettle.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to have gone dark and thank you for the responses. We lived with it until the end of the gas bottle, turning it off at the valve after every use. Then we changed the pigtail over, and voila - no more gas smell. So, it seems that it was leaking from the gas bottle itself. That was a relief!

For future readers - if and when we do have to replace the pigtail, I'm definitely going with the suggestion to replace the whole high pressure assembly and regulator with a low pressure hose and regulator that screws onto the bottle. And I'll pay someone to do it.

11 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Sorry to have gone dark and thank you for the responses. We lived with it until the end of the gas bottle, turning it off at the valve after every use. Then we changed the pigtail over, and voila - no more gas smell. So, it seems that it was leaking from the gas bottle itself. That was a relief!

For future readers - if and when we do have to replace the pigtail, I'm definitely going with the suggestion to replace the whole high pressure assembly and regulator with a low pressure hose and regulator that screws onto the bottle. And I'll pay someone to do it.

You often get a stronger gas smell when the bottle is nearly empty. My understanding is that they add a "stinking agent" to the bottle and it becomes more concentrated as the bottle empties.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You often get a stronger gas smell when the bottle is nearly empty. My understanding is that they add a "stinking agent" to the bottle and it becomes more concentrated as the bottle empties.

That seems consistent with our experience. I haven't got much experience with bottled gas and I had no idea that you would smell anything at all if the system was functioning correctly. Are the valves on bottles just known to be a little leaky?

32 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

That seems consistent with our experience. I haven't got much experience with bottled gas and I had no idea that you would smell anything at all if the system was functioning correctly. Are the valves on bottles just known to be a little leaky?

Not normally but you can (occasionally) get one with damaged threads, or a bit of grit, It has been known for a brand new bottle to be emptied overnight due to damaged threads.

Obviously (except financially) it is not a problem a the gas just drains overboard and disperses.