Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2019

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, bizzard said:

Probably all went to Glastonbury instead where there was more crowds and only £250 admission .

Can't believe that - the average age of the Braunston festival is much younger than the Glastonbury lot.  ;)

Edited by mark99

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Can't believe that - the average age of the Braunston festival is much younger than the Glastonbury lot.  ;)

You're right. My impression this year was that there were as many younger people (under say 40) on the historic boats this year as over 40.  Quite a change from ten years ago. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I was pleased to see them back too. I was tempted to buy a straw hat for a tenner but found they only stocked "one size fits all" size, which I know cannot possibly be true. And as they looked unfeasably large and I was feeling even more grumpy than normal I didn't even try one on....

I bought one, and the definitey had at least two sizes. Initially, I could only find the smaller ones, but there were some bigger ones as well, They have an elasticated inner band which enables them to fit a range of hat sizes, you should have tried one on!!

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I was pleased to see them back too. I was tempted to buy a straw hat for a tenner but found they only stocked "one size fits all" size, which I know cannot possibly be true. And as they looked unfeasably large and I was feeling even more grumpy than normal I didn't even try one on....

Did they have one large enough?  ;):)

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You most certainly would not have had this problem this year.

My impression is the crowds stayed away in droves. I put it down to gouging car park charges and lack of retailers setting up stalls. I miss the clothes retailers in particular. seemed to me like about 50% of the stalls there this year were chuggers hoping to sign me up to support their cause rather than retailers of anything interesting.  

The clothes stall didnt come last year due to family health issues and didnt respond to my invitation to join us this year. It couldnt be car park related in their case.

I will take on board the number of Chuggers and will try and reduce them next year. If you know of any interesting traders that might want to attend please let me have their details and i will contact them.

I have clearly missed out on an important aspect of the Braunston Show as in all the years I have been coming to it I have never noticed clothes or hat stalls. Perhaps the smell of rust and Brasso keeps me suitably distracted. 

I did notice quite a number of 'chuggers' this year, but I must appear to be especially down at heel as none approached me on my couple of visits to the retail area :captain:

edit = is the clothes stand the place where I could have acquired a red neckerchief, waistcoat and bowler hat as I feel like I might be missing out !

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

The clothes stall didnt come last year due to family health issues and didnt respond to my invitation to join us this year. It couldnt be car park related in their case.

I will take on board the number of Chuggers and will try and reduce them next year. If you know of any interesting traders that might want to attend please let me have their details and i will contact them.

@Grahamnewman, remind me to discuss this with you next time I see you.

8 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I have clearly missed out on an important aspect of the Braunston Show as in all the years I have been coming to it I have never noticed clothes or hat stalls. Perhaps the smell of rust and Brasso keeps me suitably distracted. 

I did notice quite a number of 'chuggers' this year, but I must appear to be especially down at heel as none approached me on my couple of visits to the retail area :captain:

edit = is the clothes stand the place where I could have acquired a red neckerchief, waistcoat and bowler hat as I feel like I might be missing out !

Used to be up the end of the arm by the toilets; I relied on them for my annual purchase of hippy dresses and patchwork trousers.

'Historic costume' is all very well for the blokes; scariest thing I've ever done was going down to stop the engine in a long skirt.

it's a shame I missed it this year but with me being abroad this year and the boat stuck where I cant move at the mo (CRT fixing problem) looked really good doo this year and hot.

On 22/02/2019 at 08:01, Grahamnewman said:

As I organise the Rally i have taken some of your comments on board. Sadly Tim wont budge on the car parking fee so we are stuck with that.

ALL the money raised plus a chunk out of Tims own pocket gets donated. To set the event up costs us in excess of £5000.00.

ALL historic boats are welcome to attend but it is the FMC boats tgat get to moor in the canal arm and lead the parade this year. As you are all probably aware the FMC fleet is bi annual with The Others being the other alternate years.

I have reduced the cost of the pitches to the traders this year and welcome any new enquiries from traders who have not been before.

If anyone wants to contact me call me at the office 01788 891373 or e mail graham@braunstonmarina.vo.uk.

How about a BW year- boats in BW blue and yellow, or blue, or green, regardless of original company? That would be interesting.

Another suggestion is move the date so it doesn't clash with Glastonbury. I know one boater-trader who won't even consider Braunston as he always sets up pitch at Glasto. 

Similarly, I suspect a sizable number of non-boater potential visitors are at Glasto, so Braunston is out of the question.