Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2019

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Well RAYMOND is there as well- how much is original on this wooden narrowboat I wonder

DSC_0120r.jpg

Most, if not all of the ironwork is original. There are a few original wooden bits but certainly not many and can be counted on one hand.

Having it basically fall apart before reconstructing it makes it a little difficult to get it right. What Pete is doing with Lucy is a much better way of doing things.

Three pairs turning at the junction this morning.

Victoria and Mercury 

Nutfield and Raymond

Nuneaton and Brighton 

BBF38409-20C8-476B-8341-87CEFCBFAA64.jpeg

Edited by IanM

Well, the boats present are certainly a credit to those that own them and those responsible for keeping them on this pristine  condition. General carrying ceased over 60 years ago. I can just recall a visit to Stafford Road Engine Shed in 1963 when the way was along the towpath and seeing a tar boat passing up the 21, not on the best paint condition   

Having owned ex cargo boats since 1981 the general condition and standard  of the old boats far surpasses what it was 20 or 30 years ago. However there are far fewer lived on old boats kept on a shoestring like ours were. People got older  and wealthier but maintained enthusiasm, just like classic cars.

I paid a fleeting visit this morning and had a trip round the parade circuit on Badger thanks to @furnessvale . Us railway civil engineers have to look out for each other. Also met @Ray T and almost met Pete Harrison and Cath Fincher (as in I did actually meet them in passing but they had no idea who I was ?).

Unfortunately I had to shoot for a family get together back home this evening. One day I’ll manage to spend the whole weekend at the festival.

JP

15B31993-E022-4238-B78D-13E3499099A7.jpeg

CDD3773F-AE46-4FC1-AAF8-98F90A884509.jpeg

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

Apart from being half burned to death by the sun I have had a great weekend at Braunston, the people making it great rather than the boats, and as always a pleasure meeting friends both new and old - including a couple who I thought had passed away !.

I would like to thank all those that kept me watered, and occasionally fed, especially all on CHERTSEY, MADELEY and BADGER :captain:

• Greenie 2

We thoroughly enjoyed this years rally.

Saturday was hot, with the lightest of showers in the evening, Sunday cooler and a little cloudier but dry.

The Saturday parade was manic - as usual.  It took two hours to get from the Marina to the turn, a distance you can walk in 10 minutes ! Sundays was a little calmer and quicker.

We felt there were fewer boats this year than some years ?????

We liked the Alarum Theatre's new production (Thursday night) and enjoyed all the music in the Beer tent.

A video here featuring Hadley, Cassiopeia, Manchuria, Beaulieu, Owl, Reginald, Hampton, Atlantic, Python. Princess Anne, Rill, Sharpness & Panther :   https://youtu.be/JcTDyVziwPw

Also a clip of Hadar heading off early this morning :-   https://youtu.be/n3JRManL-EI

Thanks to all the organisers and marshalls.

Just now, furnessvale said:

I'm sure if they were building new carrying craft today they would feature solar panels..........and bowthrusters!

George

And to the dimensions of modern Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. boats, especially with their superior handing qualities that have yet to be equalled :captain:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

We thoroughly enjoyed this years rally.

Saturday was hot, with the lightest of showers in the evening, Sunday cooler and a little cloudier but dry.

The Saturday parade was manic - as usual.  It took two hours to get from the Marina to the turn, a distance you can walk in 10 minutes ! Sundays was a little calmer and quicker.

We felt there were fewer boats this year than some years ?????

We liked the Alarum Theatre's new production (Thursday night) and enjoyed all the music in the Beer tent.

A video here featuring Hadley, Cassiopeia, Manchuria, Beaulieu, Owl, Reginald, Hampton, Atlantic, Python. Princess Anne, Rill, Sharpness & Panther :   https://youtu.be/JcTDyVziwPw

Also a clip of Hadar heading off early this morning :-   https://youtu.be/n3JRManL-EI

Thanks to all the organisers and marshalls.

Glad you enjoyed the weekend. Yes we did have less boats this year but 11 that had booked in are stuck up North. Lots of other boating events going on so i guess that was part of the reason.

I organised the event but not the parade. I am informed that part of the problem was caused by a hire boat hitting an Historic boat and then getting stuck. I am also informed that some boats tried to join the parade before they should have. A miscommunication issue !! PA system let us down hence the poor commentary.

overall a good weekend for the Marina but it has cost Tim a few thousand out of his own pocket.

Please keep the feedback coming, good or bad but please, nothing personal.

35 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

Please keep the feedback coming, good or bad but please, nothing personal.

Graham,

Thank you for your hard work.

I don't know what other feedback you have had, but we and many others thought visitor numbers were heavily down, despite fantastic weather.

Many have suggested that the doubling of the car parking price has contributed.

Do you actually keep records of the number of parking places sold, and if so are you prepared to disclose whether the number sold has fallen since the charge was doubled?

(I am aware you are not a fan of this, but Tim will not move on the subject - it is the view of many that he has got it wrong).

37 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Graham,

Thank you for your hard work.

I don't know what other feedback you have had, but we and many others thought visitor numbers were heavily down, despite fantastic weather.

Do you actually keep records of the number of parking places sold, and if so are you prepared to disclose whether the number sold has fallen since the charge was doubled?

(I am aware you are not a fan of this, but Tim will not move on the subject - it is the view of many that he has got it wrong).

Alan

the car park numbers were down as were the bar takings. Still counting monies etc. So may be able to report more soon. Tim is aware of the comments about Car Parking but clearly wont budge on the price. Several traders said they wont come back next year if the charge stays the same. I had to do dome proper wheeler dealing this year to get the number of traders we had. Not sure if i will have the energy or enthusiasm to do the same next year. I dont think the heat helped on Saturday. Welton, another close by village, had a soap box derby and they suffered with lower numbers so it was either the heat or B..x.t that reduced the numbers.

Tim enjoyed the weekend and announced he will put the Rally on again next year.

I have had a number of e mails to work today commenting on the car park price so it looks as though this is the view of most people.

49 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Although the increase in car parking charges has doubled I am not convinced this is a game changer. 

Like many visitors I have to travel long distances to attend this event, making the costs of travel and accommodation the biggest expenses (petrol in my case = 2 x tanks at £60 each and hotel accommodation = 2 nights at £121.50). Although my 'historic' boat was booked in I did not have a car park pass as my boat did not attend (I was honest and informed Braunston Marina in advance) so had a choice of whether to park on site for £20.00 per day or park elsewhere - the point being I still had a choice, as does every other visitor.

I believe the Braunston show is by far the best 'historic' boat event of the year and it clearly attracts enthusiasts of these boats in their droves. Perhaps the fine weather this year encouraged potential visitors to spend their weekend at the seaside instead, or perhaps many felt it was just too hot to venture out at all.

Irrespective of car parking charges, free car parking passes or going by boat I have every intention of being at Braunston next year :captain:

edit - is there a discounted rate for a weekend car parking pass, or is this an area for compromise ? 

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

At £20 per car, this is a cheap day out for a group of 3 or 4, but does look a little expensive for someone going on their own. I would accept it as reasonable if it were me going, but I no longer attend as I found it to be getting a bit crowded for me, and definitely  too noisy! (The penalties of getting old...........)

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

At £20 per car, this is a cheap day out for a group of 3 or 4, but does look a little expensive for someone going on their own. I would accept it as reasonable if it were me going, but I no longer attend as I found it to be getting a bit crowded for me, and definitely  too noisy! (The penalties of getting old...........)

You most certainly would not have had this problem this year.

My impression is the crowds stayed away in droves. I put it down to gouging car park charges and lack of retailers setting up stalls. I miss the clothes retailers in particular. seemed to me like about 50% of the stalls there this year were chuggers hoping to sign me up to support their cause rather than retailers of anything interesting.  

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You most certainly would not have had this problem this year.

My impression is the crowds stayed away in droves. I put it down to gouging car park charges and lack of retailers setting up stalls. I miss the clothes retailers in particular. seemed to me like about 50% of the stalls there this year were chuggers hoping to sign me up to support their cause rather than retailers of anything interesting.  

Yes I noticed that as well, fortunately (for me who forgot his hat) the hat stall was there this year, after a couple of years absence, but given the lack of customers, I suspect this may have been their last year.

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes I noticed that as well, fortunately (for me who forgot his hat) the hat stall was there this year, after a couple of years absence, but given the lack of customers, I suspect this may have been their last year.

Yes I was pleased to see them back too. I was tempted to buy a straw hat for a tenner but found they only stocked "one size fits all" size, which I know cannot possibly be true. And as they looked unfeasably large and I was feeling even more grumpy than normal I didn't even try one on....