Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2019

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

On 19/03/2019 at 09:12, dave moore said:

In more than half a century of boating I’ve never been tempted to don “authentic” costume at all. Ordinary work wear suffices for much of the time. As for the wretched red neckerchief....?

So, when I see you you are not wearing a historic costume??

Regarding mooring for the show. Never visited by boat during the show. My understanding is that mooring is restricted all the way to the A45 bridge. We left last Saturday and the 14 day moorings north of the bridge were full. This can change over night. I have noticed that CRT have strengthened the banks and installed shuttering in places north of Braunston so the opportunity to moor has increased. I don't know for certain, but I would've have expected, if I was going by boat, to get within a mike or so of the show. 

HTH.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Regarding mooring for the show. Never visited by boat during the show. My understanding is that mooring is restricted all the way to the A45 bridge. We left last Saturday and the 14 day moorings north of the bridge were full. This can change over night. I have noticed that CRT have strengthened the banks and installed shuttering in places north of Braunston so the opportunity to moor has increased. I don't know for certain, but I would've have expected, if I was going by boat, to get within a mike or so of the show. 

HTH.

A Mike, it's true, is a measure, a measure of sarcasm. You can go miles and miles without finding any good examples.

The historic boats are gathering for what may well be a hot weekend so the gongoozlers boat way well be busy.

Python is there now-

DSC_0118r.jpg

There are some replicas

Adamant by the Toll House for example

DSC_0127r.jpg

Edited by Heartland

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

There are some replicas

Adamant by the Toll House for example

DSC_0127r.jpg

Adamant is not a replica. Its current form dates from the 1980s, but the hull incorporates parts of 2 BCN dayboats, and the engine dates back to the 1890s. Which makes the boat as 'historic' as many of the more conventional ex-working boats which will be on display this weekend.

http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk/steamers_adamant.htm

That raises a question what is a replica?

Whilst it may indeed contain parts for earlier vessels, it was, a modern construction to duplicate a "Duker" steam tug. As far as I can see,  there  was no Adamant built for the  Bridgewater Navigation Company on the years 1874-1881, so it would of interest to see of there of there were more than the 26 built.

There is another replica steamer there, which was built at Blisworth to resemble the tunnel tug used on the Grand Junction Canal

338120r.jpg

No disagreement I think that Hasty is a replica. More a question of what is a 'historic'.

Some of the very well turned out unconverted boats may look the part but have had new steel bottoms (where the original was wooden), new steel cabins (ditto), new steel cants at bows and stern (ditto), extensive hull replating, new steel midsections to restore a previously shortened boat to full length, engines dating from the 1950s or 60s. One or two are even 'cut and shuts' comprising the bows of one boat and stern of another.

In a parallel universe the locomotive "Flying Scotsman" is far from original having had several boilers, different tenders and many other detail differences in its lifetime. Nevertheless she still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when she thunders past.

I don't hear many from the steam world criticizing her for her un-originality.  If it is made of wood / metal the things will need replacing as they wear out.

I suppose the nearest original boat, apart from the side cut outs in the hull is Friendship, now of course in the museum at Ellesmere Port.

This post is not a steam loco hi-jack but a comparison. ;)

Edited by Ray T

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

….. so it would of interest to see of there of there were more …… 

that's a pretty good replica of English as she is spoke!

If i turned up with my boat as the board had it in the 70s and 80s engine under flat back deck and tea hut in engine room , covered in splodges of bridge paint and a gantry there would certainly be questions. Not being rich , she has to be livable on and able to cruise, as well as maintaining her looks.

if i could i wouldnt put her back to full length, replace the steel rear cabin  with wood and live in 7 feet ive done that ( and its over rated)

so i prefer to think of her as evolved , right bow and stern, lost bit of middle, engine changed 50 odd years ago, and short front cabin. Can she still carry yes but less payload than before, is she historic yes she was built as part of a long gone fleet. Is she a replica no, I think a replica is something built to emulate, something that has gone before.

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

Whilst it may indeed contain parts for earlier vessels, it was, a modern construction to duplicate a "Duker" steam tug. As far as I can see,  there  was no Adamant built for the  Bridgewater Navigation Company on the years 1874-1881, so it would of interest to see of there of there were more than the 26 built.

There is another replica steamer there, which was built at Blisworth to resemble the tunnel tug used on the Grand Junction Canal

338120r.jpg

I’ll have to own up, Hasty was built at Brinklow Boat Services, it’s one of mine. I wouldn’t call it a replica myself though, there are significant differences between this and the old ( second ) Hasty ( length, sheer to hull and cabin etc) - built to resemble I think sums it up better. It does have and old stem iron and t stud though, if my memory serves me correctly ex Clevanda, which was formerly Alfred Matty’s tug Susan?

Does that make it historic?

Edited by Steve Priest
Add more text

15 minutes ago, meerdog said:

looking a bit busy this afternoon. Not seen 7 abreast before

IMG_4574.JPG

Not guilty m'lord.

We were only number 6 - blame that naughty Mr Boilerman for making it 7!

(There is room to get by - provided you are ot a wide-beam!)