Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2019

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Stick to your guns and wear smartish normal boating clothes. I always feel that dressing up in supposedly period costume is a bit pretentious. You are there to show of your boat, not act a part.

haggis

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, dave moore said:

In more than half a century of boating I’ve never been tempted to don “authentic” costume at all. Ordinary work wear suffices for much of the time. As for the wretched red neckerchief....?

I thought they were for the dog to wear... ?

4 hours ago, dave moore said:

Only if they are traditional dogs....

so in tradition I'm ok I have pics 1940s and 1960s of towys steamers both are wearing a shirt and trousers.

I cant find any pic for the rabbit though??

I always find dressing up pointless except at a museum that's got a set date period

15 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

Your boats are the stars of the show. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in but please gents, no miniskirts !!!

We need you all at Braunston on 29th & 30th June

but I was going to get my miniskirt out and do some photo shoots!

Hopefully this skirt passes

image.png.b4c2f63a2d545473fccf2fbeb1efe87f.png

Shirts should be kept on

image.png.8fc91bc480eadc54e4a9bc106c735308.png

Boating in 1961

image.png.67b1b1d86025e74e7b39af88c4aba5f1.png

You must wear a tie.

R-l: Paul Hocquard (vintage car restorer), Tom Rolt in cap, Sonia Rolt, Jocelyn Sinclair, the two Rolt  boys, and (right) car historian John Stanford.

1 hour ago, Grahamnewman said:

Your boats are the stars of the show. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in but please gents, no miniskirts !!!

We need you all at Braunston on 29th & 30th June

I feel a challenge has just been thrown at me there, Graham!

Now then - the purple, or the pink, do you think?...................

Python already "wears" a mini skirt! 

I have told the story before I think but for those who have not heard it:

When she was re-bottomed at Paul Barbers the engine was also rebuilt but the engine was returned to us much later than we had hoped. Paul had to refit it (involving a lot of rewiring work because there was a huge amount of 1980's hydraulic switch gear type stuff on the engine that was likely to fail at any given moment, this was all removed to simplify matters). We had a deadline as there was a winter stoppage on Newark Town Lock that year and, if we did not get past that lock before it closed we wouldn't get Python "home" until the spring and as she had already spent 2 years cluttering up Paul's yard we knew he would be really pleased to see that back of her. 

Fairly typically, everything that had been stripped out two years before was stored in a volunteers shed for safekeeping BUT we had chosen to keep everything, just in case we needed a pattern or something. When you store "everything" out of a boat in a small shed t becomes impossible to find anything when you need it. We really needed the ducting for to connect the air cooled Lister to the vent on the side of the cabin. None of the volunteers was completely sure what had happened to the piece of white vinyl (former bit of truck curtain-side fabric re-purposed in true BW style) We suspect "somebody" might have binned it as it was a bit gross but we couldn't find it and we needed something heat resistant that would duct the hot air out of the engine 'ole. The "proper" canvas thing could be made but not in time. 

One of our volunteers said he could make something up that would be suitable to get her home so it bought us time to get the proper thing made later. The next day he turned up with a duct made out of a fetching chestnut coloured suede leather. Perfect! Where had be got the suede from? It was in his shed, something he kept hoping it would come in one day, it had been a mini skirt in a former life! 

Having got Python home and the mini skirt had done a perfectly good job of ducting the air and being heat resistant why would we pay good money out to replace it? Python being kept as faithful as we can to being a BW Maintenance craft we decided no money should be spent on replacing an item that served the purpose perfectly. If anyone visiting Braunston would like to see Python's mini skirt we would be happy to show them :) 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, dave moore said:

In more than half a century of boating I’ve never been tempted to don “authentic” costume at all. Ordinary work wear suffices for much of the time. As for the wretched red neckerchief....?

I asked a well known boat trader once why people and dogs on the cut wore red spotted neckerchiefs. He replied that the were all merchant bankers - or something like that. :ninja:

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I feel a challenge has just been thrown at me there, Graham!

Now then - the purple, or the pink, do you think?...................

I think it is time to get the "traditional" bowler out again Alan.

1471331896_AlanBowler.jpg.70f8ee23d51314cefce33314b82ee721.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

12 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Alan, leopard skin might be more fetching !!!

Wear what you want, there will be plenty of cameras around to capture you all in your finery?

Hmm

I'm not sure there's enough time between now and this year's showfor me to lose the wieight necessary to get back into the leopard skin!

Seriously though Graham, given the parading weather you have manged to arrange for us in some recent years an oilskin and a souwester would have been more practical!

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Hmm

I'm not sure there's enough time between now and this year's showfor me to lose the wieight necessary to get back into the leopard skin!

Seriously though Graham, given the parading weather you have manged to arrange for us in some recent years an oilskin and a souwester would have been more practical!

Now that could start a new trend, oilskin miniskirts. ?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, Fat Punx said:

I'll be in the area this weekend and we've never visited the festival, coming from Barby how close can you normally get for mooring so that it's walkable to the festival.

Not been for a few years but  I managed to moor just up from Midland Chandlers just before the road bridge. or the far end of the puddle banks on the S Oxford bit

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not been for a few years but  I managed to moor just up from Midland Chandlers just before the road bridge. or the far end of the puddle banks on the S Oxford bit

Thank you, I didn't think we'd be able to get that close

9 minutes ago, Fat Punx said:

Thank you, I didn't think we'd be able to get that close

Those spaces often get filled a few days before the Rally starts, so keep an eye out for suitable spaces on your way down, just in case you have to turn and moor a bit further out. If you decide to try the Puddle Banks, they could be full, it may be possible to moor beyand the official 14 day moorings , but you may need a long plank, and some shears to cut back vegetation. I have moored there in the past.  If notbe prepared to  continue and turn at Wolfhampcote, there us usually some space near the winding hole.  Do not be decieved by apparent bankside space between the Puddle Banks and Woolhampcote, the canal sides comprises of large stone slabs layed at 45degrees under the water.