Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2019

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Dates for 2019 evenr already announced - Parking still £20 per Car!!

http://www.braunstonmarina.co.uk/Events/2019-historic-boat-rally-29th-30th-june

So the flyer says "Rally of surviving FMC Boats", whereas the text on web page says " Rally of surviving historic Braunston & Grand Union CC boats".

Well done Braunston - a bit more checking needed!

Entrance fee to Crick Boat Show for me and mine - £48 for the day.

Entrance to Braunston - £20 and I could fit another 3 adults in the car if I wanted to.

Personally I wouldn't pay tuppence to go to Crick but think Braunston is a bargain.

• Happy 1

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

So the flyer says "Rally of surviving FMC Boats", whereas the text on web page says " Rally of surviving historic Braunston & Grand Union CC boats".

Well done Braunston - a bit more checking needed!

apparently my boat dosnt count as a surviving fmc boat, i was asked last time I went who built her so I said fmc, they asked what was painted on The side of the cabin and I said thomas clayton, i then got told it wasn't an fmc boat, i get it didn't work for fmc but i did work for the directors company and built by fmc, still got told no,

tempted to put fmc on the side see what happens.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

apparently my boat dosnt count as a surviving fmc boat, i was asked last time I went who built her so I said fmc, they asked what was painted on The side of the cabin and I said thomas clayton, i then got told it wasn't an fmc boat, i get it didn't work for fmc but i did work for the directors company and built by fmc, still got told no,

Naturally all the ex-GUCCCo boats displayed at Braunston every other year carry that company's livery.

Don't they?

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Last years winge about the car parking fee. All gone through then.

highlights

if you don't like it don't go

it goes to charity

no one forces you to drive

Walking buses cycles skateboards boats are alternatives.

its a free day out

When one has a wheelchair user to take it isn't so easy.

I do like the show so does the ex Barlow's Captain I take.

It may go to charity, I don't doubt much of the money does, but I've never seen a breakdown published apart from plastic facsimile cheques presented at the show.

I am not physically able to hold back a wheelchair user down Nibbitts lane or push one back up, let alone from Coventry.

Bus or Boat not an option, skate board "You cannot be serious."

Edited by Ray T
  • Love 1

What we do with the wheelchair is preplanned.

our wheelchair user ( driver) drives to  the boat house and texts me. Her blind husband and her go for a drink or if too early wait for me. I leave the boat with my bike meet them in the car park. They start to walk towards the a45 road bridge.

i shove my bike in their car and drive it to barby park and cycle back. Meet them on the a45 bridge and assist them to the boat. They join in the procession and at the end of the day reverse the process.

getting to the site itself is an exercise in determination and logistics but has been done every year. The bridges are not chair friendly.

my dear friends are very determined people and we found this our best approach, paying the parking is an option ( as they say whats mobility for) but getting a chair around braunston on the day is hard.

if you ever want your friends to have an eagle eye trip  including the procession at the rally i am happy to assist. Our deck is made for wheelchairs  and i have gathered enough ramps blocks lifts and bits to get both powered and unpowered chairs aboard, as my mother is also in a chair.

just send me a pm.

We may also have a car park pass  free as we generaly dont have a car and our friends cant use the parking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2019 at 13:29, billybobbooth said:

On the, I think three, occasions that I've been it's the actual boat's history that matters not what's currently painted on the side.

If it was built by Yarwoods or Woolwich for the GU, whether it's been painted in Blue and Yellow, or carries the various GU liveries, Willow Wren or a new/private colour scheme it's been allowed in on a GU year. 

The same applies to FMC's when it's their year. I've seen boats originally built for FMC painted in a variety of schemes allowed in, whether this was something such as Barlows or now a canal society such as the Chesterfield or Coventry societies.

It's the boat and it's history which should be taken into consideration not what is painted on the side :)

Maybe one year they should have a "Wooden Boat" year!

I have always been under the impression that historic craft for want of a better description  are always welcome but it is mooring on the old line that is restricted to the ‘ fleet’ bit. Certainly there have been bits of joey boats station boats etc every year. We have gone and been welcomed every year even though we are in the wrong colours and dont have anything like the correct paint job.

• Greenie 2

I've been to all the Braunston Shows (except one) and I much prefer to be out on the main line.  I remember one year I was at the end of the arm and by the time it was our turn to go out on the parade, returning boats had blocked our exit and we were stuck.

However, the chaos and confusion is part and parcel of what is always a most enjoyable weekend.

• Greenie 1

I always find it so sad & strange that the so called enthusiasts get so picky over different company's production of what are now vintage/historic boats , my ex "Josher is now 105 years old & to find a #of boats from even older & down to almost 60years old is great the usually good natured " banter of if itwasn't built by Yarwoods it's no good " quips are all part & parcel so do examples by lesser known builders be excluded a boat built by Gilberts pre WW2 should any stilll be around suffer this fate Sadly the ,#of wooden boats decreases at a faster rate than metal/composite as the skill & finance cannot readily keep up

it seams to have got stuck on fmc and gu and the rest have all got left out,

i still like going dispite the madness, but love looking at the boats, it's still not as nice as the port in my opp

Edited by billybobbooth

• 2 weeks later...

As I organise the Rally i have taken some of your comments on board. Sadly Tim wont budge on the car parking fee so we are stuck with that.

ALL the money raised plus a chunk out of Tims own pocket gets donated. To set the event up costs us in excess of £5000.00.

ALL historic boats are welcome to attend but it is the FMC boats tgat get to moor in the canal arm and lead the parade this year. As you are all probably aware the FMC fleet is bi annual with The Others being the other alternate years.

I have reduced the cost of the pitches to the traders this year and welcome any new enquiries from traders who have not been before.

If anyone wants to contact me call me at the office 01788 891373 or e mail graham@braunstonmarina.vo.uk.

• Greenie 2

And your efforts and work are truely appreciated

15 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

As I organise the Rally i have taken some of your comments on board. Sadly Tim wont budge on the car parking fee so we are stuck with that.

ALL the money raised plus a chunk out of Tims own pocket gets donated. To set the event up costs us in excess of £5000.00.

ALL historic boats are welcome to attend but it is the FMC boats tgat get to moor in the canal arm and lead the parade this year. As you are all probably aware the FMC fleet is bi annual with The Others being the other alternate years.

I have reduced the cost of the pitches to the traders this year and welcome any new enquiries from traders who have not been before.

If anyone wants to contact me call me at the office 01788 891373 or e mail graham@braunstonmarina.vo.uk.

And your efforts and labours are truely appreciated

• Greenie 3

On 23/01/2019 at 14:29, billybobbooth said:

May the #1 of your faith protect you from "Enthusiastic amateurs"

• 2 weeks later...

I have just stumbled across this thread while looking for another on this years festivals and I am surprised to read some of the comments with regard to what boats qualify and for what reasons. 

Being in charge of a boat that is essentially the two remaining ends of a Josher cut and shut with a maintenance cabin cobbled onto the top I am very aware that there can be some snobbery about what is and is not quite "right" but I have also learned that any boat with a bit of heritage is welcomed by true enthusiasts, especially if it appears that it is being loved and cared for, and possibly just as important, put to a good use. 

Python is an FMC boat that has a blue and yellow BW livery to reflect what we believe to be the era during which she did the most work (as a maintenance craft on The Regents Canal) She also proudly displays the name of the owner of the fleet that she is part of on the cloths so there is a right old mash up of various aspects of her heritage: 

31417137_1733903719966399_66170961941349

If there are folks who don't feel the heritage of a little converted boat like this is important then they won't be happy to hear there are going to be a couple of these little shorties right up the front this year and they are both being made very welcome too. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2019 at 18:38, Grahamnewman said:

Cheshire-rose, you will be most welcome at Braunston. ALL historic boats are invited but FMC boats will lead the parade.

Thank you for that. Python will be one of the pair of boats leading the parade (the other being Panther)

My dilema now is being asked to wear "period costume" and it seems the steerer of Python has been asked to wear an apron and bonnet!

The good people of this forum helped me a lot of reseach on what would be the correct period costume here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/99717-british-waterways-uniform-mid-century/

Having spent so much time trying to ensure that we were as faithful as possible to Python's appearance being correct for a mid century workboat as this is an integral part of her heritage and, the very thing that saved her to be asked to wear gear from an earlier and incorrect era rubs more than a bit.

I will now ask around to see if anyone can lend or hire me and him a donkey jacket each!