BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

Righty-ho. The planner should now work. Alas, I only had the stage points to work from at time of going to press, so the mileage and bonus calculations needed to be re-jigged. There's no green bonus as we don't seem to be doing that anymore ("f*** the turtles" as an ex-crew mate of mine would say), and pairs get a bonus every 15 miles if over 70'. You can also score points up and down Oldbury locks.

Every year I've done this a new rule is introduced which forces a major re-write, this year's was "Paired boats with 5 or more crew will receive one basic point for each lock worked by both boats plus one bonus basic point for each full lock flight worked." There's no variable in the code to distinguish a lock flight, so if you're mob handed on a working pair, you'll have to work out your own bonus.

This is the first time in my IT career I've been given an incomplete spec, followed by complaints that it don't work right.*

:)

*No it isn't.

4 minutes ago, Nine of Hearts said:

This is the first time in my IT career I've been given an incomplete spec, followed by complaints that it don't work right

This is your very first IT project?

Caretta

Carrie~Lou

Clarrie

Cleo

Corolla

Dotterel

Firefly

Free Spirit

Good Times

Goosander

Mary Beth

Misbourne No 3

Peckham Poppy

Rebellion

Rhiannon

Scorpio & Leo

Tatty Lucy

The Cat who Walks By Himself

???*

Richard

*We have a team, they haven't declared which boat yet

Edited by RLWP

3 minutes ago, Nine of Hearts said:

I imagine this type of thing isn't exclusive to IT.

I think it's only IT folk who expect to be given a complete, comprehensive, achievable specification that accurately represents their clients intentions

Richard

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I think it's only IT folk who expect to be given a complete, comprehensive, achievable specification that accurately represents their clients intentions

Richard

Don't be daft.  Most of the money is made on the change requests!

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The points look a bit off to me, but maybe I'm not understanding the scoring correctly.

If I plan a route from Tame Valley Junction to Pudding Green Junction your calculator gives me 26.3 points

45' boat so 1.05 points per mile

Crew of three including steerer so 1.25 points per lock

2.5 miles x 1.05 = 2.625 points

8 locks x 1.25 = 10 points

12.625 x 2.5 bonus = 31.5625 points

Am I counting something incorrectly?

The planner works these points out at 28.6 now.

The calculation the planner makes is:

8 locks = 8 points

Stage bonus 2.5 x 10.625 ~= 26.6 points

+ 3 crew bonus (8 locks x 0.25) = 2 points

=> 28.6 points

I was working out as:

=> 12.625 points

Stage bonus 2.5 x 12.625 ~= 31.6 points

So you don't get a bonus multiplier on a crew bonus. 

Shame that ... replanning needed! :D

8 minutes ago, Nine of Hearts said:

Money?

Have you not been paid exactly the same for the changes as you were paid for the original development?

100% of original funding for each change request would make you very popular with many firms. ;)

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The planner works these points out at 28.6 now.

The calculation the planner makes is:

8 locks = 8 points

Stage bonus 2.5 x 10.625 ~= 26.6 points

+ 3 crew bonus (8 locks x 0.25) = 2 points

=> 28.6 points

I was working out as:

=> 12.625 points

Stage bonus 2.5 x 12.625 ~= 31.6 points

So you don't get a bonus multiplier on a crew bonus. 

Shame that ... replanning needed! :D

I would say your calculation is correct, the crew bonus changes the basic points per lock, so rather than it being 1 per lock would in your case be 1.25 per lock. Any bonus multiplier is on top of that.  At least that is how it has previously worked.

Edited by john6767

15 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would say your calculation is correct, the crew bonus changes the basic points per lock, so rather than it being 1 per lock would in your case be 1.25 per lock. Any bonus multiplier is on top of that.  At least that is how it has previously worked.

Actually I may be wrong, has this changed?  I am steering the boat at the moment, but I have a feeling the crew bonus used to be an additional 1 per so many locks.

Perhaps Sue or Richard could confirm how it should be interpreted this year.

Edited by john6767

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

best joke of the day! Never met a client who knew what they wanted, or refrained from changing their idea of what they wanted whilst it was being built.

A quick question for Richard and Sue, this is one of the photos I used in 2017. Is this sort of thing adequate to prove the boat was, in this case, at Icknield Port Workshops or do you expect to see the whole boat at the point in question. 

This was taken by me from the boat with my son hanging onto my belt to stop me falling in!

Cheers Graham

Dotterel - Icknield Port Workshops.jpg

28 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

A quick question for Richard and Sue, this is one of the photos I used in 2017. Is this sort of thing adequate to prove the boat was, in this case, at Icknield Port Workshops or do you expect to see the whole boat at the point in question. 

This was taken by me from the boat with my son hanging onto my belt to stop me falling in!

Cheers Graham

Not good enough. You need to have that day's newspaper in the picture.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Probably should as I've got several pictures that feature Icknield Port workshops.

Any photos delivered on the day will have meta data attached showing time and place. I know I could probably fake that too but I am not that clever. I will include the Times in the picture and make sure I am wearing a white caranation. What is the secret phrase for the day?

Cheers Graham

Just now, Graham and Jo said:

Any photos delivered on the day will have meta data attached showing time and place. I know I could probably fake that too but I am not that clever. I will include the Times in the picture and make sure I am wearing a white caranation. What is the secret phrase for the day?

Cheers Graham

"May I get you a beer?" always works well as a secret codephrase ...

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Could be anywhere - looks just like Llangollen to me!

Yes, that would be absolutely fine

Richard

I like the megaphone

We found the megaphone underneath Spagetti Junction, perhaps it is a new form of traffic control.

Cheers Graham

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

Actually I may be wrong, has this changed?  I am steering the boat at the moment, but I have a feeling the crew bonus used to be an additional 1 per so many locks.

Perhaps Sue or Richard could confirm how it should be interpreted this year.

Right, I am home now and have looked back at the rules for previous years.  It was 2015 where it last gave you bonus points based on the overall number of locks that you did and the crew size.  After that it changed to use a scheme like this year where the number of points you get for each lock depends on the crew size.

So I believe that the way it would work this year for example is with a crew of 2 you get 1.5 points for each lock, with a crew of 3 you get 1.25 points for each lock, and with a crew of 4 or more you get 1.0 points per lock.  Note that the sentence that defines the basic points per lock as 1 went missing in 2017 and I queried that by email with John Carrington at the time and he confirmed that was an omission, but it did not come back in in 2018 or this year (it really should though!).  So what that means is that for Ryders Green for example the points from locks (only) would with 3 crew be 8x1.25x2.5=25, and with 4 crew it would be 8x1.0x2.5=20.

I think it would be good to get clarification on the interpretation of the additional points for small crews from Richard or Sue, and doing that here would save them answering emails from a number of people.

16 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

Cheers Graham

You need a signed witness statement from Richard Parry and a copy of today's Beano comic