BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

My favourite photo from the challenge:  Wednesbury Arm winding hole in the dark on a crap phone camera - I had to show Sue the GPS location tag to get the points!

20190525_221950.jpg.dc4aeacd87a77a742bc9851ec6c2bdfd.jpg

My least favourite photo from the challenge ...  Bottom lock landing at Oldbury Locks, right where the tar boats used to run!

IMG_20190526_103602.jpg.3468db1ad6adc898ba4138b2e60f6e1d.jpg

On 31/05/2019 at 19:07, system 4-50 said:

There is lots of time before BCN Challenge 2020.  Perhaps there might be time to get some ideas about:

1. Providing an alternative concurrent challenge for people/boats who want to take part but cannot do the mad-dash aspect of the current scheme?

2. Changing the structure so that all participants arrive in a fit state to take part in the social side of the finish?

?

There has been an equally difficult alternate Challenge this year, namely trying to get up the Rochdale to Hebden Bridge for the HNBC gathering.

This has been a challengelike no other canal challenge we have ever faced, and based on our past experience of the BCNS Challenge, tha would be a doddle compared to where we decided to come.

However an additional downside is that there was only ever one way back from here, and that one way back is currently denied to us...

http://sickleandflamingo.blogspot.com/2019/06/bugger.html

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

There has been an equally difficult alternate Challenge this year, namely trying to get up the Rochdale to Hebden Bridge for the HNBC gathering.

This has been a challengelike no other canal challenge we have ever faced, and based on our past experience of the BCNS Challenge, tha would be a doddle compared to where we decided to come.

Funny you should mention that ... the Northern network is our regular stomping grounds... :D

14 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I would love to take part but crewing for people I only know from the forum and have no idea if they could cope with my personality and highly competitive nature (and vice versa) does seem a big ask!

As far as the "highly competive nature" goes, it's probably best not to book a place on Clarrie!

34 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

My favourite photo from the challenge:  Wednesbury Arm winding hole in the dark on a crap phone camera - I had to show Sue the GPS location tag to get the points!

20190525_221950.jpg.dc4aeacd87a77a742bc9851ec6c2bdfd.jpg

My least favourite photo from the challenge ...  Bottom lock landing at Oldbury Locks, right where the tar boats used to run!

IMG_20190526_103602.jpg.3468db1ad6adc898ba4138b2e60f6e1d.jpg

Judging by the black crap and smell that was being churned up there last year it wouldn't be my choice for somewhere to go swimming.

Just now, tree monkey said:

Clarrie is competitive,  it's just an alternative form of competitive  :)

There is a lot of effort and planning that goes in to Clarrie achieving their score.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Judging by the black crap and smell that was being churned up there last year it wouldn't be my choice for somewhere to go swimming.

It wasn't by choice I assure you!  I stood on where the boat wasn't ...

Straight in the shower, no time to dry off,  out in clean clothes by the third lock then back on the lock wheeling.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It wasn't by choice I assure you!  I stood on where the boat wasn't ...

Straight in the shower, no time to dry off,  out in clean clothes by the third lock then back on the lock wheeling.

Sounds suspiciously like you’ve just invented the BCN Triathlon.

JP

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Probably all them unsuitable Southern GU boats going up there.

Trying to keep the good ones up there as a new exhibishun. Hebden Bridge, Home of the Historics

Subtitled.....

Not Just Flat Caps, We 'ad Bowlers Too

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, max's son said:

There used to be a 100 mile canoe race around Birmingham back in the 80's similar to the Devizes to Westminster.

Did it a couple of times in a racing K2 lots of portages. 

Do you have any more information on this?

On 01/06/2019 at 23:32, Laurie.Booth said:

Good Lord, I look a bit grumpy in that shot. Glad you got the "registered Panama" ensign in. No one gets that, and I went 3000 miles for it.

• Greenie 1

On 02/06/2019 at 19:55, matty40s said:

Trying to keep the good ones up there as a new exhibishun. Hebden Bridge, Home of the Historics

Subtitled.....

Not Just Flat Caps, We 'ad Bowlers Too

I'm not sure what the customary headgear was in the past for southerners on historic boats, but more often than not I wear a sunhat. It's very suitable on a hot sunny day on the Thames in August, sometimes accompanied by sunglasses. For cooler conditions I have a wooly hat. Some NBT members, particularly the northerners, have been known to wear flat caps, but I can't remember seeing one in a bowler.