BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Halsey said:

FYI the Explorer Cruise is "organized" we enrolled in NOV and the itinerary was issued this morning, I think its already fully subscribed (but Brenda is the person to ask) - the ZULU crew is doing it this years for the first time ever - really looking forward to it.

A question for previous "explorers" based on  your experience how many times am I likely to be down my weedhatch? more than once a day average??

Yep

On 22/01/2019 at 13:48, RLWP said:

Three email entries so far today

Richard

Any chance of changing the finishing point? Tipton "John The Lock" would be better or Brownhills

14 hours ago, Halsey said:

A question for previous "explorers" based on  your experience how many times am I likely to be down my weedhatch? more than once a day average??

Some days it was zero and some days several but if you really get into trouble there is always someone to help, One year one of the working boats picked up a load of wire and another year a boat got a lump of wood in the prop and one picked up a fitness banner that had come off a bridge, but well all got to the overnight mooring

• Greenie 1

The BCN does have more than its fair share of rubbish, I remember we had someone's backpack round Nuneaton's prop (no weed hatch) at that junction near Star City once. Last year I did the Challenge with p6rob on his boat Bimble Be, and we spotted and dodged a floating mattress on the Tame Valley canal (I take it there is only one Great Mattress of Tame?), but some sort of sofa cushion cover got us at the bottom of the Factory locks. Maybe because we were out of the main channel at the time. It took a while to remove as his weed hatch is not very accessible, and it didn't help matters that it was pouring with rain at the time.

Hoping to be back this year, on Nuneaton and Brighton.

9 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Yep

Any chance of changing the finishing point? Tipton "John The Lock" would be better or Brownhills

Hi Laurie, not this year. We inherited a part organised competition, and that bit already has plans in place

Richard

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I've sent an email but not had any response?

I can't see it in the inbox, Rob.

bcnschallenge@gmail.com

Richard

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Hi Laurie, not this year. We inherited a part organised competition, and that bit already has plans in place

Richard

I can't see it in the inbox, Rob.

bcnschallenge@gmail.com

Richard

I've just sent it again.

There is only one bit of the BCN that I have never done (through route at any rate) - Birchill's to Horsely Fields - p'raps get the canoe out, do that, and complete my own personal BCN challenge 

I wonder if there are other canoeable  bits, and also whether I should be getting Lutine in good order not mucking about on the BCN...

Edited to add - full marks etc to Richard and Sue for stepping in and making it happen

Edited by magpie patrick

The Chairman's column in the latest edition of Boundary Post seems to infer that the Challenge finishes at Icknield Port loop rather than at Oozells Street loop as per Tug's initial e-mail to past participants.

Perhaps Richard and Sue can clarify, and maybe correct the Chairman!

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

On 22/01/2019 at 14:36, Grebe said:

I've heard that Cheshire-Rose is entering the Challenge this year.

Yes you heard correctly, Postcode and I will be bringing Carrie~Lou down to the BCN specially to take part after years of wanting to do it and failing to find anyone who wanted us to crew for them.

Us lot up on The Chesterfield are up for a challenge and we will have John and Barbara Lower with us, many of you will have heard of John from his books, his writing in canal magazines going back over the years and he was formerly a chairman of Chesterfield Canal Trust, you may also have had the pleasure of attending one of his many illustrated talks he gives. We are really looking forward to it but really haven't a clue about the logistics but we are up for the challenge and that is what this is really all about after all.

I think part of the challenge for me was asking politely for an entry frm without it costing Sue any money ;)

On 29/01/2019 at 07:57, cheshire~rose said:

We are really looking forward to it but really haven't a clue about the logistics but we are up for the challenge and that is what this is really all about after all.

Allow me to help you with complicate your logistics.

Add one slightly battered pot of duck noodles to your boat stores and you might be able to complete the delivery for me!

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

It is the one with the “s” that is correct, ie bcnschallenge@gmail.com

Unhelpful!  Its always been the "BCN Challenge" in the past (as it is in the title of this thread). Perhaps Richard and Sue should set up a gmail account under bcnchallenge@gmail.com to catch the inevitable mispellings of the 'correct' email address.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Unhelpful!  Its always been the "BCN Challenge" in the past (as it is in the title of this thread). Perhaps Richard and Sue should set up a gmail account under bcnchallenge@gmail.com to catch the inevitable mispellings of the 'correct' email address.

We may refer to it as the BCN challenge but email address used in the past by the organisers has always had the S in it. 

Cheers Graham

1 minute ago, Graham and Jo said:

We may refer to it as the BCN challenge but email address used in the past by the organisers has always had the S in it. 

Cheers Graham

'Cos it's organised by the BCNS

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Are you entering David?

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Add one slightly battered pot of duck noodles to your boat stores and you might be able to complete the delivery for me!

That was part of the plan. What I had not realised what that you wanted your noodles battered. Slightly battered or lightly battered? Tempura Noodle anyone?

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You still haven't had them noodles? They'll be past there bbd. 

The hot water bottle i won is keeping me toasty. 

I bet all that junk Tumshie bought has also been restored by now and sold on gumtree at huge profit.