BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Some cracking pictures. 

Does the boat towing get extra points for that?

Might have to offer our services as crew for this next year as it looks like fun, if that is possible on a canal ?

Thanks!

Yes an unpowered butty gets more points 

Lock 9 Farmer's Bridge is usable, offside top paddle has been bagged. 

There is something gravelly under the gate, it's a bit of a challenge to open and close 

Otherwise CRT are aware, and we have refilled the flight 

All good fun!

Richard 

15 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

but you are generating extra work by towing on a line, not to mention slowing yourself down when in shallow water :captain:

(I hope giving advice is not cheating)

Done deliberately to give the butty steerer something to do otherwise the weekend is a bit boring.

@tree monkey stopped for a break...

IMG_20190525_182133701.jpg.6518b5c257e63923640e93a638d51ffd.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Done deliberately to give the butty steerer something to do otherwise the weekend is a bit boring.

I once went with a steerer who insisted on giving the butty steerer (me) something to do by towing on a line whilst empty - I never went with him again. There is always something to do when running empty, and in my experience a good steerer will always look after his crew.

If the canal is deep or if it is windy then running an empty butty on a line might be advantageous, but each to his own so I will keep my thoughts to myself :captain:

edit = remove an unnecessary comment

Edited by pete harrison

Our crew have been enjoying some food from some of the finest places on the canal system. 

This morning we started the day with a full English breakfast. The bacon was from a delightful little butchers shop in Misterton on The Chesterfield Canal. 

Elevenses was a scone with clotted cream and blackcurrant jam purchased from the end of garden stall at Shaw Lock on The Chesterfield Canal. 

This evening we have dined on pies bought at Coate's buchers in Alrewas and rounded it off with English strawberries and cream

Monkey says we are posh - I think he is basing that on the fact I refused to put our jar of caviar inside Barney ?

14 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Our crew have been enjoying some food from some of the finest places on the canal system. 

This morning we started the day with a full English breakfast. The bacon was from a delightful little butchers shop in Misterton on The Chesterfield Canal. 

Elevenses was a scone with clotted cream and blackcurrant jam purchased from the end of garden stall at Shaw Lock on The Chesterfield Canal. 

This evening we have dined on pies bought at Coate's buchers in Alrewas and rounded it off with English strawberries and cream

Monkey says we are posh - I think he is basing that on the fact I refused to put our jar of caviar inside Barney ?

I think I should have jumped ship when we passed.

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Butty’s on cross straps. The range is glowing with bread in the oven and a casserole on the hot plate. I may be fake boatman but I make a good boatman’s wife.

JP

If I wasn't spoken for...