BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

The challenge is about the mad dash and arriving at the finish knackered.  Being able to keep going in the bar Sunday until closing time is just another part of the challenge along with long days of boating before and after the challenge.  This year we did 13 hours on the Friday (after a 5am start to get to the boats) to get to our starting point but had the luxury of 1 hour only to get the boats home.

24 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

There is lots of time before BCN Challenge 2020.  Perhaps there might be time to get some ideas about:

1. Providing an alternative concurrent challenge for people/boats who want to take part but cannot do the mad-dash aspect of the current scheme?

2. Changing the structure so that all participants arrive in a fit state to take part in the social side of the finish?

?

It's called Challenge for a reason. The explorer cruises are offered for those who don't want to be challenged.

Last year I reckon 4 of us had 2 bottles of malt and 2 and a half hours sleep in our 6 hour overnight break. Made day 2 interesting, especially with the thunder and lightning early Sunday morning. Down and back up including repairing Walsall locks before breakfast is not for the faint hearted.

Others take the challenge in a different way, LaurieB will be along shortly to share his methods.

• Greenie 3

44 minutes ago, RLWP said:

To satisfy the first, go on an explorer cruise, or just cruise the BCN in your own time

I don't know what an explorer cruise is, and in my own time is hardly taking part.

38 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The challenge is about the mad dash and arriving at the finish knackered.  Being able to keep going in the bar Sunday until closing time is just another part of the challenge along with long days of boating before and after the challenge.  This year we did 13 hours on the Friday (after a 5am start to get to the boats) to get to our starting point but had the luxury of 1 hour only to get the boats home.

Is this the only way that the objectives of the Challenge can be realised?

18 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I don't know what an explorer cruise is, and in my own time is hardly taking part.

Not at all, a fair few bumble along at their own pace and enjoy the camaraderie 

40 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's called Challenge for a reason. The explorer cruises are offered for those who don't want to be challenged.

Last year I reckon 4 of us had 2 bottles of malt and 2 and a half hours sleep in our 6 hour overnight break. Made day 2 interesting, especially with the thunder and lightning early Sunday morning. Down and back up including repairing Walsall locks before breakfast is not for the faint hearted.

Others take the challenge in a different way, LaurieB will be along shortly to share his methods.

Forgive me but I am sure some of the team went back to bed at that point ;)

20 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

The objectives of the challenge are to get boats using the lesser used parts of the BCN, there are many ways to achieve this but many choose to try and cover as much of it as they can in the permitted time. We like to set ourselves other challenges as well like leg Dudley tunnel, attempt 100 locks, use a pair of working boats etc.

• Greenie 2

The challenge is really only as onerous as you want it to be. It starts at 8:00am on Saturday and finishes at 2:00pm on Sunday. You can cruise up to 24 hours in that time and cover as much or as little as you want. 

If you want to join in the fun and help publicise the BCN, that's all that is asked of most crews.

Richard

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Forgive me but I am sure some of the team went back to bed at that point ;)

Actually, I didn't get out of bed at the allotted time but realised I was missing a fantastic light show and appeared on the back deck and steered (was given tiller and abandoned )for several hours without hitting either bank or losing any crew(as far as the head count at the end stated)

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

There is lots of time before BCN Challenge 2020.  Perhaps there might be time to get some ideas about:

1. Providing an alternative concurrent challenge for people/boats who want to take part but cannot do the mad-dash aspect of the current scheme?

2. Changing the structure so that all participants arrive in a fit state to take part in the social side of the finish?

?

Nothing needs to be changed to achieve both of the above, provided you're not competitive and just enter for the experience. When we did it in our boat we decided we had very little chance of winning so aimed for a respectable score and an enjoyable weekend. We ended up coming 25th out of 39 after a lot of work between the three of us which we were happy with, but had a good night's sleep on the Saturday and arrived at the finish tired and happy but with enough energy to enjoy the social gathering.

You make of it what you want - nothing needs to change ?

Edited by Ange
got it wrong
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

?

The BCN Explorer cruise is ideal for the above. Great bunch of folk exploring the little used BCN. Moor up all together each evening and a good time in the nearest pub. I've made a lot of good friends doing this Explorer cruise.

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

It takes careful planning to be that unsuccesful so consistently.

This year he tried underhand tactics,  claiming to be in the Walsall basin when I don't think he left the main line :)

you have to get up early to beat Carrie.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This year he tried underhand tactics,  claiming to be in the Walsall basin when I don't think he left the main line :)

you have to get up early to beat Carrie.

Clarrie started at John the Lock moorings as we held them up at Factory locks on the Friday whilst we cleared rubbish from behind the gates to get Scorpio in to the top lock so they did a short stint on the old line.

• Greenie 1

There have been changes to the bonus factors and sections on which scores can be obtained in both directions over the years which is a good way of shifting the balance of what becomes the highest scoring route without upsetting the fundamental purpose of the event. Here’s a few thoughts and observations;-

- This year scores could be obtained in both directions between Spon Lane and Brades Hall. I think this was introduced for the two years when the finish was at Titford so that there was a scoring route home without being penalised if it had been covered earlier in the event. This facility could be removed and potentially shifted to wherever next year’s finish is located.

- The Walsall scored in both directions which was used to good effect by Good Times in compiling a winning score. Perhaps now that’s been done the Walsall could revert to scoring in one direction only (but retaining both ways down Walsall flight and into the town basin to break up the 40 mile pound from Longwood to Smethwick). (Please note @system 4-50 that you can boat for 24 hours on the BCN and barely do a lock).

- The Walsall between Tame Valley (Ocker Hill) and Walsall Jn is easily the most difficult cruising of the Challenge so maybe that could be reflected in a x3 bonus factor, possibly in combination with other sections of the northern reaches being a x2 factor rather than x2.5 to encourage usage of the Walsall

- If Pudding Green to Tame Valley scored in both directions it would encourage a circuit that includes both Walsall and Rushall/Daw End legs without then having to commit to Aston/Farmer’s Bridge or a start at either Tame Valley or Rushall Jn.

- If Factory to Deepfields scored in both directions it may encourage more use of the Bradley Arm

- The scores for Dudley Tunnel don’t seem to take into account that you have to do three x2 bonus factor locks to get there. The scores are shown as Parkhead Jn to Tipton Jn and you’d almost score more for going up and down Parkhead locks and cruising round to Tipton via Netherton than legging the tunnel.

- The Birmingham & Fazeley north of Salford Jn should only score x0.5 bonus factor

- The Digbeth arm of the B&F from Aston to Typhoo basin could be an out and back score so it can be done in combination with the Aston and Farmers’ Bridge flights. This could be an alternative to allowing both Aston and Garrison as interchangeable routes. Has anyone used the Garrison route since the year when the Aston flight was closed? This would directly reflect what is technically BCN and what isn’t.

- Include a 0.5 mile trip into the BCLM moorings and back from Tipton as it’s a good stopping point.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

I know from my experience the scoring can get confusing, if your not familiar with the various names and locations it is surprisingly easy to lose track.

I understand this is part of the fun to some but to those less familiar with the network it can be off putting 

Not really had chance to think about this too much yet, but the one thing that strikes me is that the numbers taking part is very small, just over 20 this year I think. So what does it take to encourage more people to enter?  Lots of boaters have heard about it but don't really know what it is.  Of course this year  seemed to have specific issues about publicising the event at all, so that needs to be addressed of course, but perhaps some changes to the format to make it moor attractive for people to enter, without taking anything away from those that want to try and be competitive.

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Not really had chance to think about this too much yet, but the one thing that strikes me is that the numbers taking part is very small, just over 20 this year I think. So what does it take to encourage more people to enter?  Lots of boaters have heard about it but don't really know what it is.  Of course this year  seemed to have specific issues about publicising the event at all, so that needs to be addressed of course, but perhaps some changes to the format to make it moor attractive for people to enter, without taking anything away from those that want to try and be competitive.

I've always liked the walked and this year cycle idea, allows those without boats to participate, how about canoes?

It is after all about raising awareness of the BCN to the general public as well as boaters

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Of course this year  seemed to have specific issues about publicising the event at all, so that needs to be addressed of course,

That seems to be the main issues for me

Richard

22 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I've always liked the walked and this year cycle idea, allows those without boats to participate, how about canoes?

Walked is no problem

This years 'cycle' was as much a bit of fun as anything. Dave had been cycling for his own reasons, photographing and tweeting #BCNchallenge. He turned up Sunday, so because we could, we scored him.  Interestingly he cycled a bit of filled in canal that cannot be boated. Otherwise, organising a 'canal bike race' is fraught with danger and would need a very carefully constructed set of rules

Canoes are interesting. They cannot go through Netherton or Dudley and would probably need overnight camping spots. Likewise they would portage around locks

Richard

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Hmm, you've really thought about this - do you want to run it next year?

I’ve thought about it too much!

Maybe one day but for now I’ve got a full time job, a young family and a boat to refit; and total confidence in the current incumbents. ?

JP

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Canoes are interesting. They cannot go through Netherton or Dudley and would probably need overnight camping spots. Likewise they would portage around locks

Richard

As a possible (although unlikely**) canoe entrant next year my thoughts would be, if I were to do it informally, to sleep on a support boat, I'd simply hope to agree with a friend that I'd find them at a given location. Canoeing for that long is hard enough without putting a tent up

One of the reasons for my interest in canoeing, aside from it being cheap (and the motive power more reliable than a certain ST2) is they can go where bigger boats can't, but I'm not sure there are any such waters left on the BCN - although short portages might make interesting routes - Chasewater and Edgbaston reservoir anyone?:lol::blink:

**unlikely because every year I promise myself I'll get to the BCN challenge somehow and every year something gets in the way...