BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Overnight closure on locks from Wolverhampton level has been lifted. Cheers Graham

Funny enough,  I've just been speaking to one of the engineer chaps who was involved in some way and was just about to come here to report :)

16 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Overnight closure on locks from Wolverhampton level has been lifted. Cheers Graham

It is good to hear.  There is also something rather satisfying with the backup plan at  Brasshouse Lane, doing what the builders intended.

According to Ian Darby:

We have put a temporary pump in the Bradley shaft and we’ve set up two six inch pumps to run water from Birmingham level onto the Wolves level should we need it

So a temporary fix to get water into the cut at Bradley, and a backup if that fails

Thanks to Ian and his team

Richard

• Greenie 1

I was lying in bed this morning listening to the boat in front get going and I had a thought. By the way my wife tells me off for having thoughts. Anyway, I always like the concept of the Le Mans start with the drivers running to the cars, strapping themselves in, starting the car and then racing off. We could do the same, at 8am everyone's alarm clock goes off, we get up, get dressed ( this part is optional), have breakfast, do your ablutions, do the standard engine checks, start the boat and go. Much more realistic I think and assess more aspects of a boater's life.

Cheers Graham

We did a racing start at Old Turn Junction a few years ago as we were reversing back to start at the junction when a boat came hurtling around the corner to try and get past us. With a quick burst if throttle I was able to hold them off untill the narrows at the bridge.

6 minutes ago, 47401 said:

Does not the challenge start at 08:00?

Have I missed getting the route planner?

Yes it does start at 8!  I guess just a typo and it should say 7.55.

The route planner and rules are posted back on the this thread, and on the BCNS Facebook page.  This it the sealed envelope with the clues, but I was also expecting an electronic version as well, but I know there have been issues with my email address, so wondered if anyone had received it electronically yet, ie that my email had not worked, or if the electronic ones had not been sent out yet.

Hello forum folk.  I have emerged from a self-imposed forum retirement to let you all know that the bcn challenge twitter account is still very much a thing.  Find it at @bcnchallenge and use the hashtag #bcnchallenge to keep up with all the exciting events of the weekend.

Unfortunately I'm unable to take part by boat this year, but I do expect to be out and about on the bcn on a bike, snapping some photos of participants.

We haven't participated for a few years because this time of year is prime Scottish gliding time. However my mother (age 96), who lives in Alcester (near Stratford upon Avon) is rather unwell and we will be down visiting her. So we will be in the vicinity, but not participating. How annoying is that!

Anyway, perhaps we will make it to the finish by car to say hello and cause some trouble... Hope to see some folk there. Is there beer? (silly question, hopefully).

6 hours ago, Kustomcut said:

Can someone confirm again where the exact finish is and what boat we hand log to?

Or if electronic whom I email it to?

Cheers and see you Sunday

Centre of Birmingham, a Rose hire boat whose name I'm not sure of at the moment. We will be on one of the reserved moorings outside the NIA (or whatever it is called now)

Richard

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, perhaps we will make it to the finish by car to say hello and cause some trouble... Hope to see some folk there. Is there beer? (silly question, hopefully).

The Flapper, Cambrian Wharf

33 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Centre of Birmingham, a Rose hire boat whose name I'm not sure of at the moment. We will be on one of the reserved moorings outside the NIA (or whatever it is called now)

Richard

The Flapper, Cambrian Wharf

Are you aware there is live music at The Flapper on Sunday, some interesting bands playing such as Death and the Penguin.

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Are you aware there is live music at The Flapper on Sunday, some interesting bands playing such as Death and the Penguin.

It looks like it is actually a music festival on at the Flapper Sat and Sun, paid entry.