BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Which should be followed by the photo of Cath Fincher boating on the BCN the year it rained a bit :)

That was the year the crew of Albion left me out up the back during a monsoon thunderstorm whilst they ate cake on the Rushall Arm.

• Greenie 1

It's not that you hold a grudge or anything........................

?

Team 'Red Wharf' have sent in their apologies for this year.

Well, the team will be in attendance but sans boat which, if all goes acording to plan, will be en route from that there London to Boston.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

That was the year the crew of Albion left me out up the back during a monsoon thunderstorm whilst they ate cake on the Rushall Arm.

It was very nice cake as well. No point the whole crew getting soaked.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Also the year Mike and I abandoned Reg to drift in the winding hole of the engine arm and hid in the boat

28 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Amazing how so many people are reminiscing on previous years but so few are doing it this year. 

I wonder what they are scared of?

Most commenters on this thread are taking part this year other than Matty who may have a valid excuse.

32 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Amazing how so many people are reminiscing on previous years but so few are doing it this year. 

I wonder what they are scared of?

Still time for late entrants but...

As a guess, the loss of the chap who organised it for years has caused a slight hiatus amongst the none CWDF gang, I am sure it will pick up

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

I'm amused by the 'sharing a lock' comment

It does say 18th April until further notice which might not be that long. We are making enquiries

Richard

Hopefully if this is in place still by the Challenge, CRT will be able to suspend the locking of the 8 flights for the Friday and Saturday nights or else that is the end of the Challenge really.  We need that commitment from CRT, as we well be shortly starting to move the boat towards Birmingham and there must be others who are not far off starting to move as well, and will not want to start doing that is this may not take place.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Hopefully if this is in place still by the Challenge, CRT will be able to suspend the locking of the 8 flights for the Friday and Saturday nights or else that is the end of the Challenge really.  We need that commitment from CRT, as we well be shortly starting to move the boat towards Birmingham and there must be others who are not far off starting to move as well, and will not want to start doing that is this may not take place.

I'm in contact with them. The condensed message is 'don't panic, this is to cover Easter'

Richard

• Greenie 1

On 15/04/2019 at 06:30, cheshire~rose said:

I just need to stock up on Pot Noodles and beer...

You can make Pot Noodles with beer???

Why did nobody tell me this...?

• Haha 1

Caretta

Carrie~Lou

Clarrie

Cleo

Corolla

Dotterel

Firefly

Free Spirit

Good Times

Goosander

Joanna + butty

Mary Beth

Misbourne No 3

Peckham Poppy

Rebellion

Rhiannon

Scorpio & Leo

Tatty Lucy

The Cat who Walks By Himself

???*

Richard

58 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Caretta

Carrie~Lou

Clarrie

Cleo

Corolla

Dotterel

Firefly

Free Spirit

Good Times

Goosander

Joanna + butty

Mary Beth

Misbourne No 3

Peckham Poppy

Rebellion

Rhiannon

Scorpio & Leo

Tatty Lucy

The Cat who Walks By Himself

???*

Richard

Richard,

Is that Corolla as in GUCCC no. 31?

It’s noticeable that the number of historic boats taking part has diminished even in the few years I have been taking part. It would be good to try and understand why that is and what might encourage them to return.

I know Atlas & Malus aren’t in the entry list because their manager isn’t available. It might be worth encouraging the BCNS to see if they have anyone else who could take command of the boats for the event. I can think of some candidates. They don’t have to go all out for 24 hours of extreme boating. Most important thing is that the Society get their own boats into central Birmingham for the culmination of their own event.

JP

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Richard,

Is that Corolla as in GUCCC no. 31?

It’s noticeable that the number of historic boats taking part has diminished even in the few years I have been taking part. It would be good to try and understand why that is and what might encourage them to return.

I know Atlas & Malus aren’t in the entry list because their manager isn’t available. It might be worth encouraging the BCNS to see if they have anyone else who could take command of the boats for the event. I can think of some candidates. They don’t have to go all out for 24 hours of extreme boating. Most important thing is that the Society get their own boats into central Birmingham for the culmination of their own event.

JP

Nuneaton and Brighton are out as well as I believe Nuneaton is awaiting some work on her bottom.

I know that discussing our entry among Python's crew there could have been a lot of them would have been up for it if it had been possible but Python has other engagements for this year.

Python will also be under new management from later this year but as she needs to navigate the tideway for a survey next year personally I think our crew could be up for it next year BUT whether Chesterfield Canal Trust can spare her ... perhaps it is time to put feelers out

Just a little intro to explain one of the entries- I'm planning to single hand it on my boat, Free Spirit, a 32ft fibreglass cruiser(Shock horror!). See you all there. 

How "in depth" do people go with the whole boat decorations thing? I have a plan but it may be going a tad OTT...