BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

This thread is confusing, which won't help with entries.  Post 1 gives a different email address to post 30.  Could someone fix it.  Also, there's no mention of this event on the BCNS website?  http://www.bcnsociety.co.uk/

Other than forum members, will people actually know it's happening?

36 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

<snip>

Other than forum members, will people actually know it's happening?<snip>

It's listed in the events on the back of the most recent Boundary Post , presumably the website hasn't caught up yet 

springy

45 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This thread is confusing, which won't help with entries.  Post 1 gives a different email address to post 30.  Could someone fix it.  Also, there's no mention of this event on the BCNS website?  http://www.bcnsociety.co.uk/

I'll get Sue to sort it. Yes, it is being publicised through the BCNS Facebook group, we have had entries via that route.

3 minutes ago, springy said:

It's listed in the events on the back of the most recent Boundary Post , presumably the website hasn't caught up yet 

springy

Yes, we need to have a conversation with them

Richard

7 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'll get Sue to sort it. Yes, it is being publicised through the BCNS Facebook group, we have had entries via that route.

Yes, we need to have a conversation with them

Richard

Unless I've got this wrong, the challenge is open to all, not just BCNS members who get the Boundary Post

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Unless I've got this wrong, the challenge is open to all, not just BCNS members who get the Boundary Post

It is very much open to anyone, and we are trying to do something about publicising it outside of the BCNS and this forum

Richard

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Just seen the facebook event page.  The email address there is listed as challenge@bcnsociety.com

We had missed the BCNS 'Events' page, thanks for spotting it

If anyone finds any other of these anomalies, please let us know, it really helps

Richard

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Ive now corrected the email address in post #1

This seems to be getting very confusing, not least for us.

I have contacted the person who runs the facebook page to ask about the email address on there, either to giveus access to it, or change it to the bcnschallenge@gmail.com one I do have access to, so hopefully I will get all emails from wherever.

We do have the contact details of everyone who entered for the past few years so when we have finalised the entry form we will be contacting them to ask if they want to enter this year.

We are also meeting the society committee on the 12th Feb to sort out some of the final details, so hope to have the entry form at least ready to go out later that week, and the route planning sheets as soon as we can.

Thanks you for your helpful comments, we are doing our best, though it might not always be as good or organised as previous years yet.

Sue

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

It is very much open to anyone, and we are trying to do something about publicising it outside of the BCNS and this forum

Richard

How about asking CRT to mention it in at least one of their weekly newsletters https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/newsletter?

That way it will reach every boater who has registered to receive the newletter.

6 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

That was part of the plan. What I had not realised what that you wanted your noodles battered. Slightly battered or lightly battered? Tempura Noodle anyone?

Is there going to be an extra charge for battering the duck? 

I might get very angry about it because I am very hot tempura-d! 

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

How about asking CRT to mention it in at least one of their weekly newsletters https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/newsletter?

That way it will reach every boater who has registered to receive the newletter.

Cool, I'll point that out to Sue

Richard

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Just seen the facebook event page.  The email address there is listed as challenge@bcnsociety.com

This should have been fixed now, could you check?

Richard

44 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Richard

There is a new post on Facebook as of an hour ago, and the one from the 22nd, both have the correct email.

I think getting some more publicity out there would be a good idea, lots of boaters you talk to have heard of it but don't know anything about it.  Also finishing in the centre of Birmingham gives the opportunity to make something of the end as a spectator sport ?

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

There is a new post on Facebook as of an hour ago, and the one from the 22nd, both have the correct email.

I think getting some more publicity out there would be a good idea, lots of boaters you talk to have heard of it but don't know anything about it.  Also finishing in the centre of Birmingham gives the opportunity to make something of the end as a spectator sport ?

Good idea.  CRT are happy to promote duck races, dragon boat races etc.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Richard

Fixed!

• Greenie 1

On 23/01/2019 at 09:08, Halsey said:

A question for previous "explorers" based on  your experience how many times am I likely to be down my weedhatch? more than once a day average??

I'm not taking part in the Challenge, as I'm getting on a bit for singlehanded competitive boating, But I had thought of exploring the BCN this year if Marple Locks are open.  Can I hope that the Challenge participants will have cleared a goodly part of weedhatch material if I appear soon after?  :)

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm not taking part in the Challenge, as I'm getting on a bit for singlehanded competitive boating, But I had thought of exploring the BCN this year if Marple Locks are open.  Can I hope that the Challenge participants will have cleared a goodly part of weedhatch material if I appear soon after?  :)

Or they'll have stirred up all the crap on the bottom, just ready for your prop.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Don't worry, there is plenty for everyone!

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

Too many entrants could make mooring interesting on Sunday night though, two or three abreast along the main line could be fun.