BCN Challenge 2019

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

A big thanks for taking it on. I had been starting to think it might not be happening this year until I saw a post on the BCNS FB page a few days ago.

There is no mention of the Challenge or the Explorer cruises in the list of events on the BCNS website. There have been changes in personnel that seem to have upset continuity at the Society.

Maybe Tawny's normal crew will hijack it and enter it, or maybe even enter their own boats to boost the numbers.

I will e-mail my entry.

JP

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Thank for the update Sue, I was wondering what was happening.

Can I buy you and Richard a beer or two ??

I will send send an email.

When the points counting is done. We are planning/hoping to get a result out on the day

Richard

6 hours ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

The big announcement.

Team Tawny Owl will not be taking part in the challenge this year.

This is because Richard and I are now the organisers, so it might be a bit of a conflict of interest!

Tug was intending to tale over the organisation from John and Roy, but due to a change in personal circumstances he is no longer able to, so  last Friday Richard and I were asked if we could step in and get things organised for this year.

We are just getting our heads round what needs to be done and how to go about it, so for the moment, if you'd like to take part please email bcnchallenge@gmail.com, and I'll get the entry forms out to you as soon as I've finalised all the details.

Sue

Big congratulations for being brave enough to keep the BCN challenge going. Unfortunately events seemm to deem that we probably wont be there this year:mellow: - and certainly not on Old Fiends:P.  Good luck, and if Kath and I can help out in anyway in preparation, we will try.

18 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

There is no mention of the Challenge or the Explorer cruises in the list of events on the BCNS website. There have been changes in personnel that seem to have upset continuity at the Society.

FYI the Explorer Cruise is "organized" we enrolled in NOV and the itinerary was issued this morning, I think its already fully subscribed (but Brenda is the person to ask) - the ZULU crew is doing it this years for the first time ever - really looking forward to it.

A question for previous "explorers" based on  your experience how many times am I likely to be down my weedhatch? more than once a day average??

5 minutes ago, Halsey said:

FYI the Explorer Cruise is "organized" we enrolled in NOV and the itinerary was issued this morning, I think its already fully subscribed (but Brenda is the person to ask) - the ZULU crew is doing it this years for the first time ever - really looking forward to it.

A question for previous "explorers" based on  your experience how many times am I likely to be down my weedhatch? more than once a day average??

I was down 17 times in 24 hours on the Challenge in 2015. 

23 minutes ago, Halsey said:

It sort of depends. I've been down the weedhatch on the Walsall abut five times in a hundred yards. And probably the same in twenty yards on the Bradeley

On the other hand, I've been end to end on the Walsall without going down at all.

You'll get caught somewhere along the way, much as you do on any canal. You can manage that a bit by taking simple precautions - slow down on bits that look shallow or narrow, and the most important one - stay away from the edges

Those rules work on most canals

Richard

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I was down 17 times in 24 hours on the Challenge in 2015. 

THIS prompts another question - as most of you know Zulu is a recent acquisition she has an incredibly heavy weed access hatch which consists of a deck lid two "f'ing" great tubes providing the physical connection to the baffle plate below all of which is very heavily fabricated as one combined unit and is quite daunting at my age and condition...………………….even once a day

Has anyone ever taken such an item to an aluminum fabricator and had a direct replacement made - any suggestions/comments any Midlands based fabricator recommendations??

Over and above a normal boat hook do any of the other available weed clearing devices actually work???

ALSO as the access is through the back deck (i.e. well above water line) is it practical/sensible to simply fabricate a new ally lid (even if only for this event) and not have a baffle plate??

Edited by Halsey

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

That's good to hear and I knew it was happening but there are normally two each year and together with the 24 Hour Challenge they are a key part of the BCNS annual programme yet they don't appear on the BCNS website. Bizarrely though the website has been updated to show model railway society meetings in the clubhouse in the events diary. As a member, donor, active volunteer and participant I find that a little strange but I am aware of changes in personnel in both the leadership of the Society and of the major events. These have resulted in a loss of continuity hence my comment. Long term the Society - or at least the big events - may not survive on word of mouth alone. An Explorer cruise isn't for me at the present time.

As for the weed issue I have completed three 24 hour challenges in a boat without a weed hatch and had no major issues. Obviously it requires being defensive through bridges, around floating vegetation and other debris but have never had more than 3 or 4 goes with the shaft in any one day. You can - and at some point will - pick up some plastic or an item of clothing but that's true even of the heavily used bits of the BCN.

Part of the trick is not to faff around worrying about the prop at the slightest hint of trouble. The shallow water and debris can often make it appear that there is something significant around the prop when there isn't. My prop wash always looks disturbed compared to how it is normally when on the BCN.

Will also add after seeing your latest post that I think initially you might be best served attacking anything snagged around the prop with the shaft rather than bother with the weed hatch. It's often quick and easy to at least get the main body of stuff off the prop. You get to know where to aim with practice.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1