Favourite Flight of Locks.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, IanM said:

I rather like Camp Hill locks actually. Can't quite put my finger on the reason though, just always preferred that way into Birmingham.

Same here. Usually choose that way over the north Stratford given a choice, although we do mix it up a bit. 

35 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I also prefer Garrison over Aston, it's like going back in time....even since they've stuck the bike motorway next to it.

I prefer Garrison, it used to be really quiet but the last couple of times we have followed other boats and met a few coming in the other direction. Even had helpful groups of youths at the locks.

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

I also prefer Garrison over Aston, it's like going back in time....even since they've stuck the bike motorway next to it.

A metre of concrete reinforcing bar wrapped around my prop like a very long pigs tail rather took the shine off Garrison for me this summer!

Being given a bollocking by some woman who was most put out that I'd stopped in a pound was amusing,  particularly when she thought her apology would be made more palatable by explaining that she'd thought I was a hire boat!

I too rather like that route otherwise, but it is terribly neglected, particularly round the corner when passing the University who seem happy to steal the name but put nothing back.

2 hours ago, Pluto said:

Farmers Bridge was bit more 'unspoilt' in 1963, as this photo taken by Geoff Wheat shows.

1963 Birmingham 220, Geoff Wheat.jpg

That's Joanna, from Anker Valley Cruisers - (probably) the first hire boat I ever went on, certainly the first I remember going on. Alan Tingay stopped running the fleet after 1970, when I was four. 

• 5 months later...