Favourite Flight of Locks.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

I’ll have to put another vote in for the Bingley 5 rise it’s sheer scale is awesome and on a Sunday in summer takes gongoozling to a new level ...

and barrys “Gi it anuther turn lad” instructions are legendary. (Even though I believe he’s no longer overseeing the 5 rise)

14 hours ago, Ray T said:

Mike Askin doing this at Bascote on the GU.

Actually, much though I like Mike and his enthusiam for his boating, I don't think this is a great idea at all.

Not sure what he was trying to prove, as it doesn't seem to be saving much time, but that amount of turbulence across open gates is likely to flush crap onto the cill, and risks them not sealing properly when they do  try to close.

Not recommended IMO!

15 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

The flight above Shireoaks on the Chesterfield doesn't actually have a name of its own but is known locally as the stairway to  heaven. Twelve single locks, two 2 rise staircases and two 3 rise all in a very picturesque location and easy to operate.

Another vote for the flight from Shireoaks to the Norwood Tunnel summit level on the Chesterfield. Beautifully maintained narrow beam flight, with some double and triple staircases thrown in. Very picturesque as you go further up and likely yours will be the only boat on the move. Some people visit the Chesterfield without doing this flight as there is currently nowhere to go once you reached the blocked tunnel portal, only turn round and come back. They really miss out. When the missing bit is restored there should be an equally lovely flight down the other side of the hill. I've walked/biked the route.

Jen

1 hour ago, J R ALSOP said:

I have done Runcorn Locks, like you say, bet not many of us.

That is one flight I would dearly like to do (or have done).  John Seymour's Voyage into England recounts the last passage and since reading it in the early 1970's, it has been on my mind.

The proposed restoration would be nice - but the Runcorn and Western Canal, or its equivalent, would need to be in place for regular use to be made.  

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Another vote for the flight from Shireoaks to the Norwood Tunnel summit level on the Chesterfield. Beautifully maintained narrow beam flight, with some double and triple staircases thrown in. Very picturesque as you go further up and likely yours will be the only boat on the move. Some people visit the Chesterfield without doing this flight as there is currently nowhere to go once you reached the blocked tunnel portal, only turn round and come back. They really miss out. When the missing bit is restored there should be an equally lovely flight down the other side of the hill. I've walked/biked the route.

Jen

Cannot disagree that it is a stunning bit of waterway, tis a pity we did it in the fog ?

1007 Chesterfield Canal 17th October 2005.jpg

1030 Chesterfield Canal Brickyard Double Lock 17th October 2005.jpg

1034 Chesterfield Canal Thorpe Low Treble Lock  17th October 2005.JPG

1037 Chesterfield Canal Thorpe Low Treble Lock  17th October 2005.JPG

1151 Chesterfield Canal Stoke Lock 18th October 2005.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

18 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

There has been a complaint that nobody has selected Wigan.

They're not my outright favourite locks on the system, but are quite a pleasant way to spend three hours and there is a nice pub at the bottom.

The Wigan flight comes in for a bit of stick, but tbh I quite like them too!

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Nick D said:

The Wigan flight comes in for a bit of stick, but tbh I quite like them too!

I'm not sure where the fear of Wigan flight comes from - it's a nice flight, and currently there are only two notably heavy locks in the 21.  We do it fairly often and always enjoy it, even in the rain and sleet!

There is a fantastic bunch of staff around Wigan, whether vollies, seasonals or permanent.  We count quite a few of them as friends and see them at other places than Wigan.

Shout up for the Hanwell Flight. When you’ve been hoofing it from town and through bulls bridge, the flight is some welcome London Greenery. 

Oh, and a pint of Timmy Taylor’s in the Fox at the bottom is a win as well! 

Not my pic 

F8B024DD-E818-4F60-8C13-FE77E7351DA6.jpeg

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm not sure where the fear of Wigan flight comes from - it's a nice flight, and currently there are only two notably heavy locks in the 21.  We do it fairly often and always enjoy it, even in the rain and sleet!

There is a fantastic bunch of staff around Wigan, whether vollies, seasonals or permanent.  We count quite a few of them as friends and see them at other places than Wigan.

Which are the two heavy locks?

For the 200th anniversary of the opening of the L&LC in 2016, I was allowed to choose a lock to be named after me as recognition of the work I have done over the last 40 years or so in promoting the heritage of the canal. The one I chose was the third lock up at Bank Newton, seen about 20 years ago below. It is the view I have always compared other lock and canal sites with as I have travelled around, not just the UK, but also the canals in Europe and China. Today the view is perhaps not quite so good as they have let too many trees grow around the site, something which is happening too often around our system, and which will cause expensive maintenance work in the future.

Bank Newton.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Which are the two heavy locks?

The tailgates on number 11 (Lock 75) are difficult to close.  This is the hardest lock to work on Wigan.

Ironically, the second hardest set are the brand new tailgates only fitted last year on Top Lock (Lock 65).

All the rest work quite well, although a few you might need a bit of a knack to work them best - fortunately the volunteers know the knacks for the locks and are happy to share their knowledge with you.

14 hours ago, Wanted said:

Shout up for the Hanwell Flight. When you’ve been hoofing it from town and through bulls bridge, the flight is some welcome London Greenery. 

Oh, and a pint of Timmy Taylor’s in the Fox at the bottom is a win as well! 

Before boat life I lived in a house on Green Lane just up from the Fox. The Hanwell flight got me into boating. My dad took me for walks along the flight when I was about 5. I remember seeing working boats being towed by little towpath diesel tractors. Once a boater offered us a ride to Brentford but my dad declined the offer saying something about having to be home for tea. I don't think I ever forgave him! I've taken a boat down there a few times now and found it most enjoyable.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Before boat life I lived in a house on Green Lane just up from the Fox. The Hanwell flight got me into boating. My dad took me for walks along the flight when I was about 5. I remember seeing working boats being towed by little towpath diesel tractors. Once a boater offered us a ride to Brentford but my dad declined the offer saying something about having to be home for tea. I don't think I ever forgave him! I've taken a boat down there a few times now and found it most enjoyable.

That’s a great story. Thanks for sharing. 

The stretch between the flight and Brentford is a lovely bit, in fact my Son’s Birth certificate states his Birth address as ‘Between lock 100 and lock 97 of the GU Canal’ proud of that! :) 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Wanted said:

The stretch between the flight and Brentford is a lovely bit, in fact my Son’s Birth certificate states his Birth address as ‘Between lock 100 and lock 97 of the GU Canal’ proud of that! :) 

Couldn't they be more precise than that? Or did you pass through locks 98 and 99 during the delivery?

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Couldn't they be more precise than that? Or did you pass through locks 98 and 99 during the delivery?

I was living on a leisure mooring at the time, wanted to at least try and make it look like we weren’t blagging it! ;) 

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The tailgates on number 11 (Lock 75) are difficult to close.  This is the hardest lock to work on Wigan.

Ironically, the second hardest set are the brand new tailgates only fitted last year on Top Lock (Lock 65).

All the rest work quite well, although a few you might need a bit of a knack to work them best - fortunately the volunteers know the knacks for the locks and are happy to share their knowledge with you.

We did Wigan on Monday and I don’t recall the top locks being particularly heavy and for the first time in my experience all the paddle gear was functional... 

They do get bad press but guess they are not exactly picturesque 

Edited by jonathanA

On 21/01/2019 at 20:37, alan_fincher said:

Camp Hill......

.... OK, only joking!

I rather like Camp Hill locks actually. Can't quite put my finger on the reason though, just always preferred that way into Birmingham.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, IanM said:

I rather like Camp Hill locks actually. Can't quite put my finger on the reason though, just always preferred that way into Birmingham.

Perhaps you are a graffiti connoisseur?

Actually I usually lose the debate about coming in to/ going out Birmingham via the GU, but must admit I greatly enjoy coming up Farmer's Bridge, so am happy to do Camp Hill and Knowle if allowed to.

The Lapworth way into Brum used to have far more appeal with a leisure boat that it does with a full length ex-working boat.  Flamingo is a very tight fit in at least one of the Lapworth locks, makes a huge struggle if getting through the Shirley lift bridge "chicane", and really doesn't enjoy the poorly dredged bits of both the Stratford and the W&B.  Even the allegedly dredged guillotine stop lock brings us to a near halt.