Favourite Flight of Locks.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, dogless said:

My mistake for posting here, I promise I won't and then ...

You're correcting my view on my favourite flight ... really?

Rog

I' m sure there was an implied IMHO in Dora's reply, Rog, you're seeing a slight where none exists.

MP.

ETA, I like Bank Newton too. Not done the Rochdale yet.

Edited by MoominPapa

18 minutes ago, dogless said:

My mistake for posting here, I promise I won't and then ...

You're correcting my view on my favourite flight ... really?

Rog

No, not really; rather, expressing an opinion, as we all have been doing.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Totally agree with this.  It's a lovely flight and get a bad rep because of its length, but it's a real pleasure to work through.  Beautiful scenery, but by gum it needs a decent pub at the top.  Did anyone else go in the monstrosity called The Tardebigge befroe it closed?

There's now this pretty close by, but i've not been in:  http://www.alestones.co.uk/

I'm not surprised that you have not been in, it's open for less than 24 hours per week!

They can be fussy about dogs as well.

8 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I'm not surprised that you have not been in, it's open for less than 24 hours per week!

Gosh, Lacon's - I thought that was long gone. It was an East Anglian brewery long ago; I suppose someone has bought the rights to the name.

1 hour ago, Ange said:

Is Bank Newton the one with the back breaking ground paddles? I don't remember it with any fondness if it is

It certainly has box cloughs on every lock, but there is a technique to using them that does not just involve yanking them!

I don't rate Bank Newton as particularly scenic.  It's a pretty flight, but you can't see a lot more than the cottages and the trees while doing it.

56 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did anyone read the article in the back page of this months Waterways World about the lady taking a trip through the ground paddles on the Huddersfield 

Yes, a good outcome in the end and hopefully she'll regain her confidence with locks, but a reminder of the potential hazards - though she may have been standing in the wrong place.

Very much in the Tardebigge, Stourbridge and Delph fan club and also some of the Wheelock locks are quite fun to watch when you draw the paddles to empty them.

My favourite of all is probably the Tyrley flight on the Shroppie; particularly first thing in the morning or late evening with no one else about and when the trees at the bottom are in leaf. The wharf at the top is lovely too. 

2 hours ago, Ange said:

Is Bank Newton the one with the back breaking ground paddles? I don't remember it with any fondness if it is

I can't remember exactly what flights have what paddles.

Certainly some of the locks in that area have these, which we rather took to, provided they are actually working......

IMG_6384.JPG

Certainly some of the distant views are stunning.....

I think this is Gargrave, but am happy to be corrected, as it is quite a few yeras since we last did it, and with a 72 foot boat, no longer an option!

IMG_6391.JPG

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Rochdale summit is better.

Being pedantic though, a summit isn't a lock light, which is the actual topic for this thread.

I'm not sure the approaches to it from either direction really count as a "flight", do they, more a never ending slog!

Any flight that is worked for me by those wonderful Volockies ;)

On a serious note Rothersthorpe is mine especially when I leave CART waters in March, possibly forever ??

Edited by Loddon

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Any flight that is worked for me by those wonderful Volockies ;)

That will rule most f them out then, because there are very few  flights where the Volockies actually get to operate more than a small subset f the locks they contain!

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I can't remember exactly what flights have what paddles.

Certainly some of the locks in that area have these, which we rather took to, provided they are actually working......

IMG_6384.JPG

Certainly some of the distant views are stunning.....

I think this is Gargrave, but am happy to be corrected, as it is quite a few yeras since we last did it, and with a 72 foot boat, no longer an option!

IMG_6391.JPG

Being pedantic though, a summit isn't a lock light, which is the actual topic for this thread.

I'm not sure the approaches to it from either direction really count as a "flight", do they, more a never ending slog!

That looks like Bank Newton top lock to me. 

I would say that gargrave flight is nicer and gargrave was a great place to stop, less so since the chippy and butchers on the A65 closed. It was the only chippy I knew that opened on Sunday tea and great place to stop on the way home after a day in the dales or lakes (sorry off topic)

and those clough paddles are so much better than endless winding with a windlass

Edited by jonathanA

38 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

That looks like Bank Newton top lock to me. 

I would say that gargrave flight is nicer and gargrave was a great place to stop, less so since the chippy and butchers on the A65 closed. It was the only chippy I knew that opened on Sunday tea and great place to stop on the way home after a day in the dales or lakes (sorry off topic)

and those clough paddles are so much better than endless winding with a windlass

It’s the middle of the Gargrave flight.  As someone has already said, the clough paddles have a knack to them. The secret is to almost walk with them and lift in one go as you walk rather than try to tug them up.  Once you get the hang of it, they are certainly quicker and easier than other types (although they do have a habit of getting broken)

46 minutes ago, Nick D said:

It’s the middle of the Gargrave flight.  As someone has already said, the clough paddles have a knack to them. The secret is to almost walk with them and lift in one go as you walk rather than try to tug them up.  Once you get the hang of it, they are certainly quicker and easier than other types (although they do have a habit of getting broken)

Your quite right I stand corrected should have put my glasses on ! 

Is it the one with the coal yard  ?