Favourite Flight of Locks.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

The older I get the more affection I have for Hawkesbury lock. 

Eta:

Real answer could possible be Knowle locks, pain on the but single handed but I always seem to enjoy them. 

Edited by reg

38 minutes ago, Goliath said:

<snip>

Why are the by-washes like waterfalls? Were there originally ideas for it to be a double flight?<snip>

The flight is very closely packed with only just over a boat length between each of the re-built 7, to make the volume (water capacity) between each chamber larger. the pound between each chamber is extended sideways and along the non-towpath side of the actual chamber, ending with the bywash weir - waterfall. Factory three is a similar layout but not quite as blatant, as are (IIRC) some of the top locks of the aston flight. Larger capacity in the pounds between each chamber means that drawing a lockfull off has less effect on the level in the pound.

springy

and the delph are a lovely flight  

• Greenie 1

Delph combines one of the best flights of locks with one of the best pubs in the country. You can moor up at the bottom, stroll up to the Bull & Bladder for a lunchtime cob/pie and delicious beer, then go up the flight, moor in Netherton and walk up to Ma Pardoe's for faggots and peas and more fantastic beer in the evening -- so two legendary hostelries in one day. What more could you ask for?

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The first ever train bridge in the whole wide world is in Manchester. 

So I was told the other day. 

The viaduct is by (or crosses) the rochdale 9. 

And as grand as the Rochdale 9 might be, it’s not a patch on the Deplh 9.  

Considering the railway it is on (originally the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham) was opened 14 years after the Stockton & Darlington Railway I think you were told wrong. I doubt it's even close to being the oldest railway bridge in Manchester.

The oldest railway bridge in the world still in use is Skerne Bridge in Darlington although there is a bridge in Bassaleg, Newport, South Wales that was originally part of a tramway that was converted to a railway that is older and remains in use. Causey Arch is much older and has a similar history but no longer carries a railway.

JP

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Considering the railway it is on (originally the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham) was opened 14 years after the Stockton & Darlington Railway I think you were told wrong. I doubt it's even close to being the oldest railway bridge in Manchester.

The oldest railway bridge in the world still in use is Skerne Bridge in Darlington although there is a bridge in Bassaleg, Newport, South Wales that was originally part of a tramway that was converted to a railway that is older and remains in use. Causey Arch is much older and has a similar history but no longer carries a railway.

JP

Thanks

I’ll correct quiz him better next time. ?

1 hour ago, dmr said:

nah, everything about the Rochdale is crap ?   nice train bridge though.

.............Dave

I never really see these as a flight of locks, just a canal with a lot of locks, they are not close enough together to feel like a flight.

.............Dave

We atarted rhe BCN challenge there one year, didn’t we?

at black Delph bridge?

There is something about Delph that transports you back in time when you stand at the bottom and look up. It's a great place. The middle of Stourbridge flight looking down to Dadford's shed and the Red House cone is a gem too. I don't consider them the easiest flights though. I wouldn't swap working the 30 locks of Tardebigge for the 24 locks of Stourbridge and Delph in terms of effort. That may have something to do with the falls as Stourbridge and Delph are all 9' to 10' or more while Tardebigge are all 7' with big paddles bar the newer top lock. Tardebigge would be best flight in the country if it wasn't quite so big and it had a decent pub at the top. I always moor at the 'new' wharf at the top rather than the visitor moorings below the top lock. It's a great location. You get a sense that very little has changed in 200 years when working the flight on a quiet day.

Lapworth - at least upper and middle anyway - is an obvious candidate. Very easy to work and picturesque. Rushall is a pleasant surprise being mostly surrounded by 1930s suburbia. Certainly BCN and W&B locks are easier than Staffs & Worcs and T&M locks which need careful positioning and aren't as quick.

Factory may be similar to Delph but it's an awful flight although that may be because of a combination of poor maintenance and abuse rather than design. I will also cast a vote for Buckby as the worst flight. In theory it should be good but having been down and back up in each of the last two summers I have had four painful passages and no good ones. I don't find any GU locks easy - either on the old GJC or the Birmingham line.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

I have a soft spot for the Rothersthorpe flight and for many years, when we moored in the Fens, it was the prelude to our arrival on the canals for the summer.

Also vote for the Delph. The Stourbridge is my favourite approach to the Birmingham plateau. 

Surprised no one has mentioned Farmers Bridge yet.

MP.

55 minutes ago, Ange said:

That was on our bucket list that we unfortunately never got to do. A shame.

How sad, it was the last of the Seven Wonders of The Canals for us to do. We probably thought it is equal to the Pontythingy as the most stunning. Even a drive there to see it would be well worth it.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, harleyj said:

How sad, it was the last of the Seven Wonders of The Canals for us to do. We probably thought it is equal to the Pontythingy as the most stunning. Even a drive there to see it would be well worth it.

Actually you've made me think. I'm not able to lockwheel or steer any more but hubby is very handy. Maybe a call out on the forum for anyone who would appreciate his help and wouldn't mind taking me as a passenger. We might have sold our boat but we kept our windlasses ?

Delph 9? I live nearby and have only ever known 8. There were 9 originally but the middle 7 were rebuilt and reduced to 6. The original line runs parallel and to the right of the present towpath, the arm below the top lock giving a clue. 

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

Thanks

I’ll correct quiz him better next time. ?

We atarted rhe BCN challenge there one year, didn’t we?

at black Delph bridge?

That was me, with Rob-M crewing.

JP

ETA - Just realised what you meant, dmr was crewing on Goliath.

Edited by Captain Pegg

For spectacular drama, Caen Hill.

For sheer rural prettiness, Claydon.

For across-the board appeal, Napton, which slices through appetising parts of Middle England and ends up (or rather down) at a decent pub.

10 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Tardebigge would be best flight in the country if it wasn't quite so big and it had a decent pub at the top. I always moor at the 'new' wharf at the top rather than the visitor moorings below the top lock. It's a great location. You get a sense that very little has changed in 200 years when working the flight on a quiet day.

JP

Totally agree with this.  It's a lovely flight and get a bad rep because of its length, but it's a real pleasure to work through.  Beautiful scenery, but by gum it needs a decent pub at the top.  Did anyone else go in the monstrosity called The Tardebigge befroe it closed?

There's now this pretty close by, but i've not been in:  http://www.alestones.co.uk/