Stove top fan ......again!

Opener

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Watch my lips..............................THEY DONT WORK!!!!!!

Mine saves me the indignity of trying to stand on my head in my chair.  It removes the situation where my feet are cold while the air near the deck-head is too hot when I stand up.

No matter how much I concentrate on your lips, my feet would remain cold without the fan.

This meets my definition of "works".

I agree that  ducting the fan output through the ceiling in the hope of driving a small sail on the roof would probably not be successful but then that is not what I'm after.

• 11 months later...

Hi all. Having had my 60 ft boat for 3 years I've tested a few fans. My Villager Puffin is near the bow and recently I've put a small desk top fan opposite on sweep mode. I'm in a marina so can use electric..it uses 25 watts on full and worked out it would cost 4 quid a month to run 24hrs a day(which i don't) but i consistently get 27 degrees 15 ft away. Kitchen around 23/24 and bedroom at back 20 degrees. Using much less coal as well. Will keep Eco fan for when i go out which is very rare when its minus 3 outside.

First time I've posted so hello all.

Regards Karl.

Should add that the fan has about an 8 inch blade and i only run it at half speed. Win,win!

Edited by Karlos
Forgot to add extra information

18 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Hi all. Having had my 60 ft boat for 3 years I've tested a few fans. My Villager Puffin is near the bow and recently I've put a small desk top fan opposite on sweep mode. I'm in a marina so can use electric..it uses 25 watts on full and worked out it would cost 4 quid a month to run 24hrs a day(which i don't) but i consistently get 27 degrees 15 ft away. Kitchen around 23/24 and bedroom at back 20 degrees. Using much less coal as well. Will keep Eco fan for when i go out which is very rare when its minus 3 outside.

First time I've posted so hello all.

Regards Karl.

Should add that the fan has about an 8 inch blade and i only run it at half speed. Win,win!

Good points.  A very simple and effective set up is a gentle usb powered fan plugged into a powerbank.  Will run for weeks before needing recharging.

On 23/01/2019 at 10:36, mrsmelly said:

Watch my lips..............................THEY DONT WORK!!!!!!

Yeah but, yeah but, MrSmelly, ours is going like a goodun, I dangled a length of cotton in front of it, and sure enough I could definately see movement!!

• Haha 1

On 21/01/2019 at 14:49, Dr Bob said:

They sell Hobgoblin gold for £1.25 a bottle.

And their own-brand Amber Ale at a similar knock-down price. It's brewed by Marstons, and tastes like it too. I recognise that the slight touch of Burton sulphur might not be to everyone's palate.

On 23/01/2019 at 10:57, artleknock said:

I would rather have a cheap Aldi one that doesn't work than a super duper £120 one that doesn't work.

I would rather have the beer mentioned above, to the value of either device. 

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I would rather have the beer mentioned above, to the value of either device. 

The beer will  soon be drunk though, then you have to get more beer. An ecofan will give you many winters of not doing anything very much. Better value all round? Not so sure now.... Must go get some more booze. Will Aldi take an ecofan in exchange for beer? Perhaps that is how they got the ones they are selling.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The beer will  soon be drunk though, then you have to get more beer. An ecofan will give you many winters of not doing anything very much. Better value all round? Not so sure now.... Must go get some more booze. Will Aldi take an ecofan in exchange for beer? Perhaps that is how they got the ones they are selling.

You could use all the surplus heat generated by the ecofan to keep the neighbours warm for a small donation offset against the coal they save to buy your beer

Had a feco fan for ages and its stops the floor area being like a fridge in our back cabin, takes about 30mins to fix, which I rather like. Interestingly over time it has slowed down, to start with I though this was my mates abusing it, however I have just taken it to pieces and renewed the heat transfer paste and its now going Wizz again and my feet are warm once again :)
I've noticed that the peiter cell which does the hard work are now nearly 10 a penny from China, well actually a few quid, so I bought one and have had a play with it, at a simple level it appears to be the same as the one in my fan, and gives similar output, so I expect the prices to come down further.