Stove top fan ......again!

Opener

Featured Posts

OK - we've heard all the arguments and experience for and against.  If you want to check for yourself, get yourself down to your local Aldi where they (may) have one on sale for £23.00.  Not sure how long they have been on sale but my branch had 20+ left this am.

19 minutes ago, Opener said:

OK - we've heard all the arguments and experience for and against.  If you want to check for yourself, get yourself down to your local Aldi where they (may) have one on sale for £23.00.  Not sure how long they have been on sale but my branch had 20+ left this am.

according to the app on me phone, they went on sale yesterday (20th Jan) ;)

25 minutes ago, Opener said:

How much do Aldi charge for Snake oil, chocolate fireguards and Pie in the sky?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, carlt said:

I went to my local aldi to get one but apparently someone accidentally put a box of them next to a radiator and they destroyed the shop and every building in a 2 mile radius. 

you were lucky, our local did similar but stacked them facing the wrong way. this caused them to suck rather than blow and now theres a small black hole where our aldi used to be :( 

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

They sell Hobgoblin gold for £1.25 a bottle.

One of my favourites. I've been stocking up on this at £1.25 a bottle on every one of my monthly visits to Aldi for the last 2 or 3 years.

I've steered clear of the cheap (and nasty?) fans though. I'd rather use the space on top of my stove for two of these to generate free hot water...  https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/stove-top-kettle-stainless-steel-3246281

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I've steered clear of the cheap (and nasty?) fans though. I'd rather use the space on top of my stove for two of these to generate free hot water...  https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/stove-top-kettle-stainless-steel-3246281

I do wonder if these 'cheap and nasty' fans give all stove fans a bad name. The claimed air movement from them varies a lot from model to model. Ours is the highest flow I've seen claimed. I wouldnt buy a cheap imitation.

When I visited my friends on their boat recently,  they has an Aldi fan. Apparently in the summer months Aldi sell them for £12, which is when they bought theirs.

They are convinced it works, me I'm a sceptic of all eco fans. However it did go round and round.

I have 1 and will say....im a beleiver.....im sure there is a song in there somewhere.....if i tried.....im sure i could find it but hey ho move on.....

You stove fan demonisers have not seen the light.......like the demo ive seen on here blow vape smoke into one when spinning and you see how its actually moving the air....thats it in a technical nutshell....it moves air so must work in some capacity.....right....guys.....guys.....

Btw.....hobgoblin gold is the worst of a good bunch.....(im stiring the nest tonight) im a real ale fan but at tye mo i cant beat a nice bottle of samuel adams IPA or badger balndford flyer......sweet baby jesus thats a good couple beverages....

Edited by Matt&Jo
Controversial points not made ?

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I have 1 and will say....im a beleiver.....im sure there is a song in there somewhere.....if i tried.....im sure i could find it but hey ho move on.....

You stove fan demonisers have not seen the light.......like the demo ive seen on here blow vape smoke into one when spinning and you see how its actually moving the air....thats it in a technical nutshell....it moves air so must work in some capacity.....right....guys.....guys.....

You're not wrong.

Definitive proof from  this time last year.

I think the unanswered question is 'are there a load of cheapo copies out there that give all fans a bad name'?

Mine certainly changes the airflow around our cabin quite significantly so makes if feel much warmer at head/torso height when its cold outside - like today. Prolly find the Aldi ones are similar to chocolate teapots.

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I do wonder if these 'cheap and nasty' fans give all stove fans a bad name. The claimed air movement from them varies a lot from model to model. Ours is the highest flow I've seen claimed. I wouldnt buy a cheap imitation.

Yes.

We have both an Aldi knockoff fan and a branded ecofan we were given.  The branded one starts sooner and runs faster despite them both both looking much the same.  It's either a different alloy on the ecofan, or a more efficient (and hence more expensive) Peltier unit, or both.

The top cooling vanes on the Aldi version have crossbars to make them stronger, but these might reduce the cooling effect, causing a lower temperature gradient across the Peltier module.  This won't help either, as the generated voltage is a function of temperature differential across the unit.

Air movement is a function of fan speed and vane shape - the really crap ones just need a very slight extra twist to the vanes to shift significantly more air, but they then need higher temperature to turn the fan fast enough, so it is a tradeoff.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spelling!
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes.

We have both an Aldi knockoff fan and a branded ecofan we were given.  The branded one starts sooner and runs faster despite them both both looking much the same.  It's either a different alloy on the ecofan, or a more efficient (and hence more expensive) Peltier unit, or both.

The top cooling vanes on the Aldi version have crossbars to make them stronger, but these might reduce the cooling effect, causing a lower temperature gradient across the Peltier module.  This won't help eiter, as the generated voltage is a function of temperature differential across the unit.

Air movement is a function of fan speed and vane shape - the really crap ones just need a very slight extra twist to the vanes to shift significantly more air, but they then need higher temperature to turn the fan fast enough, so it is a tradeoff.

Way to go Crackers!

Fully agree. Interesting to hear the comparison of the Aldi fan to the ecofan. You get what you pay for is often true and maybe the Peltier  cells fit that profile. My fan, which is not an ecofan, claims to push 265cu ft/min compared to 160 cu ft/min for most of the others. It certainly moves the air at a height of 0.7M in the cabin compared to no fan and augments the flow up and down the cabin at high and low level. I was amazed when I did the smoke test on the normal air flows in the cabin without the fan. Maybe it is specific to my boat. Worth studying the OP in the link above if anyone is really interested. It will take you an hour to work out what I am talking about but think about how much warmer you will be!