Eberspacher fuel pipe and BSS

Featured Posts

Hi all.  I am fitting an Eber that I have adapted for my boat. I know that there are requirements about the fuel pipes and filters being metal, but can I use short ...40mm lengths of flexible fuel hose to connect the 4mm copper to the unit ?..

Does it have to be olives and compression connectors into brass fittings in order to pass the BSS ?...

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Not sure if you can use jubilee clips or if they must be the crimped type.

2.11.1 states “Fuel hose connections must be either pre‐made end fittings on hose assemblies or hose clips/clamps onto hose nozzles or formed pipe‐ends.”

So Jubilee clips appear to be ok as long as the pipe is flanged. I have no idea how the inspector is supposed to confirm this. 

My Eberspacher has a short plastic fuel hose (6") connected to copper by means of jubilee clips which I need to change before my next BSS.  I've not yet been able to work out what I can replace the bit of plastic with though as I can't see what the fitting would be inside the unit. 

7 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

My Eberspacher has a short plastic fuel hose (6") connected to copper by means of jubilee clips which I need to change before my next BSS.  I've not yet been able to work out what I can replace the bit of plastic with though as I can't see what the fitting would be inside the unit. 

If the ends of the pipe the plastic connects to have the requisite "hose nozzles or formed pipe‐ends"  then a length of fuel hose marked with the relevant BS/ISO number as per the BSS guide and secured with hose clips should suffice but I would take a photo of teh pipe ends in case your BSS examiner is a jobsworth.

If one of the pipes is part of the actual Eber or a fuel pump and is brass it almost certainly has the requisite end. If they are copper then any half decent older type garage should be able to flare the ends to a suitable profile or you could use a compression fitting to secure an olive to the end and the cut the nut off or even leave it on the pipe.

15 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

I've not yet been able to work out what I can replace the bit of plastic with though as I can't see what the fitting would be inside the unit. 

Diesel fuel hose with appropriate sae, etc, markings is readily available - I bought a short length from eBay when fitting my pre-filter / agglomerator and it's a push fit over swaged ends finished with jubilee clips.  I pointed it out to the BSS inspector and it was fine.  It'll push onto whatever fitting your present plastic pipe does and you can use the same or similar hose clamps, I'd have thought.

Eta: Or what Tony said above! :)

Edited by Sea Dog

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

... or you could use a compression fitting to secure an olive to the end and the cut the nut off...

Note that the BSS states that such olives should be brazed on... not that anyone’s likely to inspect it. 

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Note that the BSS states that such olives should be brazed on... not that anyone’s likely to inspect it. 

Then best cut the nut off.  Personally I would just use something tapered to flare the pipe end with a single flare because once the clip is on there is no way the hose will come off but that is probably not compliant with the BSS. I am also sure I have seen compression hose tails that could be fitted. I would not attempt to actually braze copper and brass in that situation but would use one of the lower melting point SILVER solder. Some may call that brazing though.

Thank you. Once the cold weather is over I'll take it out and take the casing off and make the necessary changes.  Previously I just capped off the pipe at the tank end and said it was decommissioned for the BSS but would rather just sort the situation once and for all.

56 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would not attempt to actually braze copper and brass in that situation but would use one of the lower melting point SILVER solder. Some may call that brazing though.

Well, quite. As far as I’m aware, the only difference between (lead) soldering and brazing is the temperature at which the filler

metal melts. Silver solder melts at a high temp, so yes it’s brazing and shouldn’t really be called soldering at all. 

Oh, just found this:

https://ewi.org/should-you-solder-it-or-braze-it/