Stern tube - low grease consumption

Featured Posts

I suspect this is a fuss about nothing.  

My stern tube has given 25 years of good service (about 6,000 hours of running time). I replace the packing about every five years, most recently June 2017. It hardly ever drips, and never gets more than slightly warm. I can always turn it by hand (using the coupling joint). Photo below.  I normally tighten the nuts once a year, when I need to do it more often then I know it needs repacking.

Anyway, grease consumption is now very low, I can hardly turn the grease handle -- maybe 1/4 turn every 10 hours.  It may be that I have finally learnt how to pack the gland well, as no grease at all is coming out of the front end (I used to get quite a bit). Or it may be that somehow I have got the pipe from the greaser to the gland blocked with something, in which case I should replace the copper pipe (and buy some new olives, no doubt).  [PS there is a second greaser too, for a plummer block on the prop shaft, that is fine].

On my next trip I am going to take the greaser to bits and see what I can fine, any other thoughts? I am tempted to replace the pipe, as it should be straightforward to do.

dscf0206.jpg

Undo the pipe at the gland and screw the greaser down to see if grease comes out easily. Grease can go hard and solid with heat and age. If grease comes out of the pipe poke a wire down the glands hole. You could flush it through a bit with some thin oil in the greaser. If it proves to be the gland blocked you would need to undo the nuts and withdraw the pusher, and then poke around and pump some thin oil through it. A LITTLE warmth from a blow lamp waved about over it would help.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

With what are you filling it,

dear scholar,

dear scholar,

With what are you filling it,

dear scholar - with what??

I use only the best K99, handcrafted by Morriss' and packed with tender care....

The stuff still congeals somewhat and goes crystalline-ish "over time"

The feed tube can get blocked.  An easy solution is to undo the nipple and flush some grease down it. If the tube is still blocked, can you run a piece of copper wire down it to clear the crud.

Of course it might the   'cold'  weather  that's causing the problem.

edit: Bums! B'zard got there first (mostly)

Edited by OldGoat

Thanks both - that is very helpful.  It's not a cold weather problem. I should have thought of the flushing.  Yes, Morris K99 used for many years.  

There is certainly much less coming out of the front end, which I put down to the new packing which was a slightly tighter fit than the previous lot  in 2011.

10 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks both - that is very helpful.  It's not a cold weather problem. I should have thought of the flushing.  Yes, Morris K99 used for many years.  

There is certainly much less coming out of the front end, which I put down to the new packing which was a slightly tighter fit than the previous lot  in 2011.

Well, the above 'must' be the answer? as long as nothing's getting hot / there is some grease coming out to lubricate the inboard end (and hopefully the outboard ditto), then there's nowt to worry about.

Dinna fash yersel, laddie  

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Stereo greasers - very posh!

Dunno why he’s worried about the greaser – someone’s nicked his engine! :giggles:

Seriously, I’d be with the “if it ain’t broke” party. As long as the stern tube runs just a bit warm and an odd drop of water finds its way through whilst underway, why worry?

I have the same gland and very little grease leaks when correctly adjusted with low water leakage also. 1/2 turn would be normal for me. 

However do not overgrease the plummer bearing unless it is a plain bronze type. To much grease in a rolling bearing will cause the balls or rollers to skid and not rotate, leading to failure early on. 1 shot every few thousand hours would be normal.

Also K99 is not good for a rolling bearing

Edited by adrianh